Do you enjoy writing letters of recommendation?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by alabama, Jan 27, 2017.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Jan 27, 2017

Many students ask for teachers to write letters of recommendation for scholarship applications, summer camps, or college applications.

Do you enjoy this part of your job? Is this very time consuming for you?

How do you balance students right to privacy with writing a letter of recommendation?

3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 27, 2017

I teach an honors-level senior course so I end up writing many letters of recommendation each year. It really does get time consuming. Fortunately, they are pretty spaced out as some students hop on them right away around November and December while others wait until last minute in April and May.

I always sit down with my students and together we list their awards, leadership positions, club activities, acknowledgements, etc. that I would include in the letter. I then take this and make the letter as personalized as possible for each student.

I also have three basic letter formats I use. The only difference is how flowery and "impressive sounding" the language is. One format is for the top-tier/val/sal student, one format for the above-average student, and one for the average student. I take these templates and use the items listed above to make them individual for each student.