Do you dye your own hair?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 8, 2020

If you frequently dye your hair, do you dye your own, or get it done by a cosmetologist?

I had a HORRIBLE experience with a dye job from a cosmetologist about 13 years ago, and have dyed mine myself every since. But, my grays are starting to get very stubborn. Also, it would be nice to let someone else do the work. So, I'm considering asking my cosmetologist (not the same person that messed it up, obviously). I am just so scared. It really did traumatize me.

Just wondering what everyone else does.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2020

You hit the nail on the head when you said the greys are getting very stubborn. My mom was a beautician, and people who wouldn't accept their grey hair was always problematic. Going to frosting or highlights was a good alternative to tide one over. That is best done by someone with experience, so not for home application, but that is just my opinion. I've tried it on myself and had less than stellar results.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2020

I don't dye my hair at all (something I was thankful for during stay at home) but I would absolutely go to a professional. I've thought about it before; my hair was blonde when I was younger but has gotten darker and darker as I've gotten older. For me it comes down to not wanting to spend the money, honestly. But if I were going to do it I would get the best expert I could find. Look for someone who is an expert colorist. That may not be the person who regularly cuts your hair. I love the woman who cuts my hair but she's not an expert in coloring, so I'd go somewhere else if I ever bite the bullet and go down that route. Read lots of reviews and see if you can ask someone in person. If you know people who get their haired dyed and it looks good, ask them where they go.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2020

I used to do my own, but have been seeing the same stylist for about 8 years. I trust her completely; the one time things didn't turn out as planned, she wasn't happy with the results and stayed open late so that she could fix it up. I can't wait until she opens again....I'm not loving seeing so much my "real" colour, complete with all the grey.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

I use henna sometimes, but other than that I just let it be what it is. Since I've been walking outside everyday, it's getting these nice reddish-blondish highlights right now, which are a lovely complement to the existing grey highlights.

I like the henna because it's not permanent so if I don't like it it washes out quickly. I use the henna from LUSH, but most stores that sell hair products sell it.

7. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Jun 9, 2020

So far, I occasionally use a glaze. It makes my salt look like light brown highlights. But, I am getting more with each passing day. Interestingly, my white hairs bother others more than me. People point them out and tell me they're showing.... and I reply, of course, I don't dye 'em yet. ? I know it's assumed I should dye them, but is it illegal to be too laid back to bother? Hehe.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

I have a few here and there and nobody has said anything except my husband (I told him HE was giving me the gray hairs LOL) but I have no problem with them!! I have not decided one way or the other but I might just not bother ever dying my hair. I don't have a problem with seeing other people with gray/white hair either. This woman at work has salt and pepper hair and the only reason it's not attractive on her is because she just lets it go wild. If it was maintained a bit better she would look pretty sophisticated.

Tired Teacher and CherryOak like this.
  9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

THIS CRACKED ME UP!!!

Tired Teacher and CherryOak like this.
  10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 9, 2020

That's going to be me, though. I don't mind the look of grey hairs, but they are a completely different texture and curl pattern from the rest of my hair. The more grey I go, the harder it is to control my curls. In a few years I predict my hair will be a grey and brown mess of a mop sticking out every which way, and I will have neither time nor energy to tame it.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 9, 2020

I love the salt and pepper look but if you saw her you'd run in the other direction.She looks scary :eek: I don't know how she sees with her face in her face LOL Hope she can see when she drives at least!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 9, 2020

I dyed it myself 99.9% of the time for numerous years & even BEFORE COVID, only went to the hair salon every 1-2 years more as a pampering treat, not a necessity. Now if I wanted a complicated dye job like the ombre look, I went to a professional for that. But now that COVID's here, I won't be going to a hair salon anytime soon...or later.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 10, 2020

I dyed my own hair when I was young and didn’t know any better. Find a stylist you trust and let him/her work the magic.

My mom never colored her hair. She’s been completely white/gray since her early 40’s. My dad had very few grays at 72. I appear to be taking after him with very few grays at almost 50.

14. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Jun 15, 2020

Yes. But not from a box. I get the actual dye and developer from the beauty supply store and mix it myself in a plastic bowl. Throw out a towel on the floor and go to town. I usually go darker so it doesn't take much effort. So far so good.

15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jun 15, 2020

This is the way I see it: I have earned every one I have. As I get older, my eyesight is not as good and I don't even notice any gray hair unless I am standing in a very well lit place. :) I notice them maybe 1x a month. The ones I have look more like a blondish tone and I don't think they look bad. Seriously though, if it got wild looking, I'd probably find something and color it myself. Maybe a tannish Sharpie pen. :)

CherryOak likes this.
  16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 16, 2020

I don't know why people don't mind their own business. They shoudln't assume anything. I don't really care about dying my hair and if someone asks me about it I will flat out tell them to MYOB.

17. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jun 16, 2020

I dye mine myself; I started in college when I couldn't afford salon color. I had my first greys at 14 and by the time I hit my 20s there were enough to need to do something. My natural color is a very dark brown, so they stand out pretty badly.

Conveniently, box color works great for me, with my greys (and now whites) coming out like natural dimensional color. I like the John Frieda foam. The one time I tried something else was the one time it's come out wrong. The Clairol overprocessed to black sooo fast. Thank goodness I have the coloration to pull off black hair without looking like Elvira or a "scene chick", but it took close to 5 years to completely fix. Never again, Clairol!

Anyone use Overtone? I'm thinking about trying it, especially for when I decide it's time to let myself go natural and need to transition.

18. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 18, 2020

I used box dye from junior high through college. Then I let my natural hair grow (dark brown, almost black (I was dyeing it a lighter brown). A few years ago I started going to a salon because I wanted a blonde ombre, which I couldn't do myself. So it's been about 4-5 years of salon color, but it's getting expensive so I recently bought a box dye from the store again, but haven't used it yet :D (I'm letting the blonde grow out and just dyeing the darker parts of my hair)