Do you dream at night?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jan 11, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

Are your dreams scary or exciting? I say mine are 50/50. I usually have scary dreams if I saw or heard about something during the day either on the news or a movie (even though I only watch Comedies!) that "bothered" me. I heard scary dreams are a sign that we're under stress too and it's a way for the brain to unwind. :yawn: Interesting.

When you have a bad dream and you wake up from it or remember it in the morning as you're waking up, how do you get over the fact that it didn't really happen? As the day goes on, I'm fine and forget all about it!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2009

The dreams that I remember are usually bad ones; I don't remember having a good dream for a long time.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 11, 2009

My dreams are just weird. They usually make no sense, or I'll just dream about every-day things. Last night, for example, I had a dream that I was cleaning my cat's litter box. I remember getting out the bag, scooping up the litter, throwing it away, etc. That was one entire dream.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 11, 2009

Not a lot, but at times, I wake up remembering what it was about. Sometimes is was about my BF. Right now, I couldnt' say what others have been about.

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 11, 2009

I have dreams for about half of each month...does that make any sense? They're usually scary and disturbing or about everyday events.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

I dream everynight. I think we all do, it's just a matter of whether or not you can remember them. I already forgot lastnight's dream, but I remember dreaming about something. I love dreaming. Well, I just love sleeping.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

I dream all the time, usually they are just strange. I have reoccurring ones with tornadoes and teeth loose and falling out. I should look up and see what they mean.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

I've had those teeth falling out dreams too! According to a website I read awhile ago, it symbolizes dealing with change.

10. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone else have bad dreams when they're too warm? I put extra blankets on at night to help fall asleep but then I wake up too warm and I usually had a bad dream on those nights!

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

I've been dreaming in a way that combines two separate situations. For example, I'll dream that I'm talking to Jeannie in the kitchen of the farmhouse we had to leave. We left there in '96, and she was born in '00. I wonder what that means?

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

I think my mind is more active at night than it is during the day. My dreams are ridiculous. I had a nightmare last night actually. I woke up, used the bathroom, and started a new dream: I was experiencing some dental problems, and as I examined my teeth in the mirror I kept pulling food out of the cavities. Of all things, I pulled whole florets of brocoli and cauliflower...two things I would NEVER eat! :)

I talk, scream, groan, etc. in my sleep every single night, according to my husband. Yeah, that thrills him. I no longer sleepwalk, though, so that's good!

13. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

I have odd dreams. For example, last night I was with Kermit the Frog, but I had a hard time finding him because there were Kermit imposters everywhere.

I sometimes wake up, but don't stop dreaming. I'll often ask odd questions about events that I image are happening (to my husband's amusement).

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 11, 2009

Sometimes I dream, sometimes I don't. Usually I don't remember them unless I tell someone right away. Last night I had two really weird dreams. First, I was going to a club with a friend but I had to go to the bathroom. I went to the ladies room but it had no doors, just a really big opening. A guy wandered in and tried looking under my stall. I hardly swear, but in the dream I yelled, "What the h... are you doing, a.......?!" Then I ran out and went up to a waitress or someone who was working there. She said that the guy will adjust his points. I asked how much, and she said six. I said, "I think he earned zero points! That was not appropriate!" Then I woke up. At school we use the Make Your Day program where kids earn points by following expectations, so that was the exact terminology I use with the kids: adjust your points, how many points did you earn, hahahahaha.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jan 11, 2009

I dream every night, and I always remember my dreams. About twice a week, my dreams center aound some element of danger, or someone trying to hurt me. Almost all of them involve guns. I dream about guns a lot because I was robbed at gunpoint 5 years ago. For some reason it has never left my dreams. I've kind of submitted to the fact that this might never go away.

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 11, 2009

I rarely dream. When I do dream they are scary! I HATE DREAMS!!! The reason is cuz all my dreams are scary!!

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

I used to dream constantly and now I rarely do.

18. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 11, 2009

I generally dream about my mom chasing me, which is weird simply because she was an amazing lady. And she passed away last year. I've been trying to figure it out; i probably never will though. I just tell myself that she's trying to talk to me.

Also, last night, actually this morning, my alarm clock was going off. Just before i went to bed i heard the song Fake It by seether on the radio. As it was going off i started singing the song in my head, and i think i made myself believe that it wasn't going off for about a half hour. I got out of bed and had the song stuck in my head all morning. i just now realized what had happened. lol.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

I recently learned, from my husband, that I went from being sensitive to the alarm clock to hitting the snooze button but never knowing it. I literally went out and bought another alarm clock because I thought I was having trouble setting the other one. I kept waking up later without having the alarm clock wake me. The second alarm clock is a bed shaker. When that failed to wake me I just thought I was alarm clock setter impaired. Then my husband told me the alarm DID go off. I just turned it off.

From dreaming to this new issue, most of it can probably be contributed to an ongoing lack of sleep and insomnia I now suffer from.

20. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

My dreams are either extremely wierd or erotic....what does that say about me?

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 11, 2009

That you are boring in real life---hahaha...I had to say it. You are living vicariously through your dreams.:p

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2009

That might not be too far off from the truth.....

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 11, 2009

I tend to go through phrases where I have repeated dreams...

When I was a kid I remember dreaming of a room full of cribs and babies. Also I had this repeated dream of protecting my family from aliens. Later on I would dream about reallllyyyy dirty bathrooms (gross!). More recently I dream a lot about being pregnant (weird!) and being taken under by freak waves or falling into the ocean.

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 11, 2009

Hmmm this could be true:
    Pregnant
    To dream that you are pregnant, symbolizes an aspect of yourself or some aspect of your personal life that is growing and developing. You may not be ready to talk about it or act on it. This may also represent the birth of a new idea, direction, project or goal.

Tidal Wave
    To see a tidal wave in your dream, represents an overwhelming emotional issue that demands attention. You may have been keeping your feelings and negative emotions bottled up inside for too long. On a positive note, the tidal wave symbolizes the clearing away of old beliefs. If you are carried away by the tidal wave, then it signifies that you are ready to make a brand new start in a new place.
    To dream that you are caught in a tidal wave, signifies the strength of your emotions, perhaps accompanied by tears that you are holding back in your waking life.

And this is the gross bathroom one: http://dreammoods.com/cgibin/dreambank.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=bathroomdream4 interesting...

25. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

I dream every night. I have more weird dreams and boring dreams where I'm working, then scary dreams, although, I have had my share of those.

I also have dreams that I'm pregnant or have a baby (dont have nor want any kids)

I have had dreams where I'm lucid dreaming. My FAVES!!! I love lucid dreaming. This is when you know you are dreaming and start trying to control your dream. I rememeber one dream, I was sitting in the back of this old school fire truck, on the back of the ladder area, trying to drive the fire truck. We were doing this fast turn and that's when I realized, this dream is way too weird,, I must be dreaming! Every time I realize I'm dreaming, I start to fly.

I also have dreams that my teeth are falling out or crumbling apart. I have these dreams though because my front tooth really did break vertically in half right after I went to the dentist.

The worse though, is when I get, I think it is called sleep paralysis. It is when I wake up, or my mind does, but my body wont move. I know I'm awake, I can think clearly, look around for the most part with my eyes, but I can't talk or move. Its horrible and very scary. My husband has it too. What he will do is start breathing really heavy to wake me up so that I can shake up fully awake. I haven't had sleep paralysis in a while though, thank goodness.

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Peachy,

My husband experienced that. But he woke up and thought there was some spirit restraining him. I don't know if it had started out as a dream, but he woke up and tried to move, began screaming and once he could move he came back upstairs (he had fallen asleep downstairs b/c this happened during the summer and it was too hot upstairs for him) and then prayed for about ten minutes.

27. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2009

Oh, I have those dreams too about my tooth falling out. I don't understand that one at all.

Most of my dreams take place in the house where I grew up. I moved out of there at age 18, and now I am 28, but that's still where events happen in my dreams.

My dad passed away about 3 yrs ago and I used to dream about him all the time. I would ask him how he was feeling and he'd say, "Not so good", but that was the answer he'd give during his last weeks of life (he suddenly came down with cancer and was gone 4 weeks later). Anyway, my mom just passed away in May, but a few weeks or months before her passing I had a dream that my dad was taking care of her (in real life-not my dream-my mom had seen my dad and he walked her to the bathroom) and now ever since she has passed, neither my mom nor my dad are in my dreams.

28. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 12, 2009

I dream in realistic fiction :lol:. You could say that my dreams aren't too crazy, but that they couldn't happen. Lately I've been waking in my bed in my dream to find some of my students in my bedroom, usually just hanging out. I don't even want to know what that means.....

29. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I have been sleeping terribly lately. I'll have trouble falling asleep, and then I'll wake up for a long time in the middle of the night. My dreams are horrible, too. I dreamed last night that my husband and I were on a boat, and it capsized and we drowned. This is because after dinner, he decided he wanted to walk down to the docks. We were looking at the yacht postings, so I'm sure my brain tucked that away. I know my dreams are due to the stress in my life, and it sucks. I'd like peaceful, nice dreams again.

30. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 12, 2009

normally my dreams are weird. i have a scary one maybe once month, but it's pretty rare.

last night i dreamed that the polar ice caps had melted and the world was 99% water. for some reason, all the water was polluted, black and really thick and oily.

The clean water was being held "hostage" by an evolved computer virus that looked like static and had the ability to download itself into humans.

It wanted to take over this little boy named "Po" body. So it took the form of a little girl in order to get close to Po and his famoly

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 12, 2009

I think you have a movie there, Lyn!

32. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

I remember my dreams very infrequently, but usually when I do they're very strange an really make no sense.

33. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

I've also done a lot of lucid dreaming, more when I was younger than now. I still generally realize I'm in a dream, but am content to just see where it goes rather than control it. I never have nightmares.

The neat thing about lucid dreaming is you realize to pay attention to your own emotional state and how it affects your dreams -- if you dream while scared, bad things will happen. Of course, if you're lucid dreaming, you really have nothing to worry about -- if the dream gets too scary, you can just open your real eyes and wake yourself up (I've never had sleep paralysis, though).

I've flown also a lot in lucid dreams, but for some reason it usually ends up being a lot of effort -- often I have to flap my arms, and when I do that I don't end up flying very well. If you get good at lucid dreaming, you can do other things as well -- "teleport", or rewinding the dream, or skipping over a part.

Most people can train themselves to remember their dreams by writing them down as soon as they wake up. A lot of writers supposedly do this. You can also supposedly make yourself have more dreams by consuming a lot of lecithin, which is a neurochemical precursor to some neurotransmitter (lazy me isn't going to look it up right now), and which is found in lettuce and some other foods. In college I decided to try this and ate nothing but lettuce for an entire day. AFAIK, it worked -- I had dreams almost non-stop that night. And I woke up, completely exhausted.:haha:

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

I'll have to try that one day! :)

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

A lot of people who have sleep paralysis really do believe that it's satan or aliens or something evil that causes them to wake up, but not move. What's really happening is that when you are asleep, your brain produces some sort of chemical that "paralysis" your body. Keeps it still at night. Well, for some people, part of the brain wakes up, but the rest is still in it's sleep mode. So, what happens is, since part of the brain is still asleep, people continue dreaming. Some dream that there is an alien in the room. Some feel some pressure on their chest and think it's a devil sitting on them. I had sleep paralysis for so long, but never knew exactly what it was until I saw a show on it on the discovery channel when I was a teen. Boy did I feel better once I learned more about it.

36. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2009

I have many lucid dreams also. I read somewhere that only 2% of the population can do this. I have made myself wake up if I think the dream is getting scary or is too stupid. Not too many scary dreams, but some that I felt were headed in the wrong direction so I steer them towards something more acceptable.

I have long involved stories for dreams, with plots and characters and interesting settings. I really enjoy dreaming.

I can still remember the few scary ones I've ever had.

Once I dreamed I met Mr. Wonderful on a beach in Maine and I was wearing a pink and white checked cotton shirt. So for years after that, I would make sure I had one of those shirts in my closet. Never worked.