Do you donate blood?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2010

I should, but the one time I donated I ended up hyperventilating and with a cold sweat all over my body, so I've been afraid to do it again.

2. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

Somehow I always get the newbies. I've had several bad needle experiences, including the one where they miss the vein and dig around to try and find it. Ugh... just thinking about it makes my arm hurt.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

You may wish to load up on salty foods beforehand the next time to elevate your blood pressure.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 13, 2010

I used to feel guilty about not being able to donate but then I think about the 100's of organizations I do help through time and money and I realize that I cannot donate because of the antidepressants that I take but I can help in another way for a different lifesaving way.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 13, 2010

I donated all the time with friends when I lived in MI. We were really big on it. It took me several years after moving to CA to get back into it. I just went on Sept. 11, and it will be an easy way to remember-every odd month on the 11th. ;) I'm O negative, so I feel I really should go whenever possible.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 13, 2010

I have, but the last few times I have been turned away for a variety of reasons.

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010

I got really sick the only time I did it, and I have really hard to find veins either. I always try to get up the nerve to do it - maybe I should try to do it in the summer instead of trying to participate at school. My sister has donated over a gallon - I think that is awesome.

8. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Oct 13, 2010

I go several times a year. As a matter of fact, I will be donating in mid-NOV for our School Blood Drive. I'm an O+ to they like seeing me walk in the door. My hubby is an O-; he should go in again to donate. The last time he was in, he nearly passed out.

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2010

I did it once. I felt weak and a little dizzy/faint for the rest of that day. So I decided that since it's a worthy cause, I would do it again, but only at a time when I can afford a sick day. Like on vacation or something, or after work on a Friday... so far it's been a couple of years and between one thing and another it was never convenient...

I really don't like needles or blood or anything. But I feel strongly that it's the right thing to do and it wasn't so bad if I try not to look! So I probably will end up doing it again. I just need a local drive at a time when I can afford to spare my blood.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 15, 2010

No, due to massive blood transfusions during childbirth. I should check to see if this criteria has changed.