Do you donate blood?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, Oct 12, 2010.

1. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 12, 2010

I have a chronic illness, have received multiple blood transfusions (I believe this is a disqualification), and I am under 110 lbs

2. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Oct 12, 2010

No. I've fainted when getting shots and giving blood for testing...so no way could I give blood! Eeek.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2010

Do you have to weigh at least 120lbs? I've been wanting to donate blood ever since I volunteered at the blood bank when I was a volunteer at a nearby hospital. I helped out by giving out cookies and calling people to ask them if they are up for donating some more blood. I could never donate, myself, though because I weighed less than 110lbs. Right now, I squeaked up to 115lbs.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 12, 2010

Peachy, I gave blood regularly when I was in college - and my weight was right around 103.

Like INTeacher, however, I haven't been able to give for years because of having lived (and eaten beef) in England when Creuzfeld-Jacob syndrome, aka "mad cow disease". My time in England was a bit later, though, so my understanding is that the ban is on anyone who was there before about 1990.

5. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

I use to give regularly until pregnancy/nursing/pregnancy/nursing. Since I have stopped, I should probably start donating again. I got my husband started and he is very consistent with his donations.
    At our local blood bank they use to laugh at us as we would race to see which one of us could fill our bag quicker. :)

6. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

As for the Iron - I always eat a burger the night before or at lunch the day I am going to donate, just to up the number a little.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 12, 2010

I am not good with needles. So, no, I won't go near a donation.

My husband gives but last time he passed out, so I don't know if he will go again.

8. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 12, 2010

I haven't in a while. It's time to do it again, and they love my A- type. My husband gives platelets as often as he can. He's very adamant about donating. I should be ashamed. :eek:

9. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 12, 2010

No, I just can't. I will end up fainting. I tried donating plasma once and had a real tough time with the whole fainting issue as well.

10. jake10

jake10 Guest

Oct 13, 2010

I really want to encourage some of you to do so. I think techs being bad with needles are very rare, and it's not scary once you do. Also, it can help males. Females lose blood every month and their bodies make fresh blood. Males, on the other hand, need to get rid of old red blood cells. This is an excellent way to do it, not to mention the benefits for the people who need transfusions.

11. ally06

ally06 Companion

Oct 13, 2010

I use to donate but haven't been able to for the last 10 years because of a chronic illness (lupus). I wish I could as I know a few people whose lives have been saved thanks to blood donations.

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 13, 2010

I should have posted after 1980 for people living on military bases ;) When I was first asked about living in Europe, I thought I was safe because I had lived on a military base but was informed that was the worse because all the beef had come from the UK.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

I've met many techs who are horrendous with needles.

I get blood tests every 6 months or so.

14. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2010

I lived in the UK during the time of the mad cow disease epidemic, which apparantly procludes me for life from being able to donate. Before I moved there, each time I tried to donate, I was told that I was too anemic.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 13, 2010

I hate needles. Ugh...
    Saying that, I dontated regulary from when I was 17 up until I was 25. About then I started getting frequent ear infections, which made me not eligible to donate. Now that I have wacky thyroid levels I don't know if I can donate. I wonder even if they leveled out if I would be able to donate with the medicine they've got me on. Got to check that out.