Do you do this?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by born2teach84, Jan 24, 2007.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jan 24, 2007

We have a dog and I feel so bad because we crate her all day and all night which I feel so bad for her but they say that they are ok and they like being in crate. We are in the process of fencing in the yard but its so cold we can't put her out there right now but during the warmer months we will. My question is do any of you crate your dog during the day?

3. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 24, 2007

When my dog was a puppy, for the first 6 months we crated him all night and all day when no one was home (he took a long time to become housebroken). We just made sure to play with him a lot during the times when we were home so he still got a lot of exercise and fun.

I think it depends a lot on how big the crate is as well. I have a friend who has 2 large boxers that she crates during the day and they are fine. They even crawl in to sleep when she's at home.

Now, I let my dog run around when I'm off at school or work. It makes me happier that he's able to sleep on the couch and bond with the cat. :D
    His crate presently is used as a "bad boy cage" that we put him in as a punishment for various things (sometimes he has accidents, or gets in the trash:eek: , etc). It's funny, when he does something wrong, he KNOWS he did it, and will just run in the cage immediately. When I see him in the crate I know something's up. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can block off a room for your dog to stay in while you're gone during the day? Is she housetrained?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2007

We got our first dog at Christmas and we were both working full time. So she was in a crate in the beginning. Later, as she got bigger (she was a lab), we blocked her into the kitchen.

We got our current dog when I was a SAHM (but before I knew I was pregnant with child #3-- we would have talked a LOT more about it had I known!) So she was only crated for a short period; it wasn't really necessary.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 24, 2007

My sister does it and her dog will go in her crate to relax even when she doesn't have to.

I don't because my dog's former owner would yell and slap at her through her "cage" (upside down laundry basket) and every since then she has been scared of cages. I have to find a groomer that allows her to be on a leash or walking around instead of a cage because she will get so scared that she will growl and bite anyone that comes to the cage (EVEN ME!) because she won't even recognize what's going on except to preserve and protect. I have to use my voice to get her to recognize me first. Poor thing!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2007

We didn't we just blocked off a room that was hard surface to clean easily...kitchen area in both of our houses.

7. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Jan 24, 2007

We have 2 very small dogs who are paper-trained (we live in a 6th floor apartment). They stay in a blocked room with puppy pads down for their bathrooming needs. When I get home, I change out the pads, spray some Febreeze on the bedding and the room is as good as new! The dogs have a bay window in which to relax and see outside as well as a bed, toys, and food.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2007

If you can trust your dog being out of the crate, I think you should let her out. I'm not a crating type person, but that's just me. I don't see how an animal would "like" being crated. ??? Personally, I think animals are less curious and more trustworthy when they are caged and crated less. JMO though.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 25, 2007

I crated Mya for two years. She was my(as an adult) first puppy.
    At first we tried locking her in the bathroom. She got into the tub some how and was soaking wet when I arrived home. She also had unrolled all of the T.P.
    Than we tried blocking her in the kitchen. She got into stuff in there. We finally bought a crate. It was wonderful.
    When she was 2.5 yrs old I finally was able to leave her out and she was a good girl. Well until this week. She has been horrible. I keep telling her I am going to bring the crate back up.
    As long as you aren't using the crate as a punishment than she will see it has her den, and not mind being in there.
    She does need to get lots of exercise when you get home.

PS: We used to test Mya to see if she was grown up enough to leave her out. Once we came back to all the couch cushions shredded. It looked like it had snowed in our living room.

Mya is now 8.5 yrs old.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 25, 2007

We don't have the shredding problem but my dog is old and can't hold the pee long enough even for my husband to let her out at lunch. So we use potty pads in the master bathroom along with a food dish, water and a bed and close the door.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2007

OMG Jaime!:eek: LOL!!! How did she get the water on in the tub??? I would have been mortified if it were my house. What a character!

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 26, 2007

My mother has a min pin. She is potty box trained. My mom has a large short sided plastic bin, that she puts potty pads in the bottom of and newspaper over. Jesse always goes the bathroom in the box, if she can't hold it until someone gets home to take her out.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 26, 2007

Actually she didn't get the water on. The tub was just wet from when we had taken showers that morning before work. She must have jumped in and kept slipping in the wetness or something and ended up cold and wet.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2007

Sounds like our kitten. She is attracted to water. She will roll in the tub when we are done with showers or baths and roll in the sink when we are done doing dishes. She's nuts.