Do you do the Pledge?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by pwhatley, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 12, 2007

Every year I play Red Skelton's recording of the Pledge for the kids and we talk about the meaning of the passages. I have had chidren in my room (Church of Christ usually) who won't say the pledge. They still stood quietly and respectfully while we did. It was a courtesy, not a requirement. In the crazy world that we have today, the kids need to understand how blessed we truly are to have the freedoms that we do. The Pledge is more than just a collection of words. It stands for much more. When I teach the responsibilities we have as American citizens, knowledge ofthe Pledge is part of those. Not just how to say it, but what it means. Yesterday we did a small activity in commemeration of 9-11 (flag coloring sheet and the kids writing what America means to them). When I explained that we were doing it in memory of 9-11 more than half of the class didn't know what I was talking about. That saddens me. No, they don't have to watch the footage and see the horrors of that day, but to not know about it at all....such a major time in our country's history. I can't imagine parents not talking about it with their kids.

2. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

YES we say it every morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.