Do you do school stuff over the break or do you just relax?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Sierra, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Sierra

Sierra New Member

Dec 28, 2010

I did a ton of work in early December, so I could get a break:D

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

I do a little of both.

I've prepped the work for the extra class I picked up in November. I do have a bit more work to do, and my kids have a little work to get done that needs to be supervised.

But the bulk of my schoolwork was done last summer. So I spend most of my vacations centered on my family.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 28, 2010

I stayed late the last day before break to get lesson plans done so that I wouldn't have to do them during break. I will spend an afternoon on grading though. But as a general rule I greatly limit my school work during breaks and focus on relaxing and spending time with my family.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I have to work over break. I'm teaching a brand new class starting in January.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2010

I'll go in one day over break to clean the room and put away all the Christmas stuff.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

I should do more than I'm going to, but I really do need a break. I did bring 6 books with me to read through for a book club I'll be running with grade 7 and 8 students starting in late January. I had a stack of marking packed to bring to Florida with me, but I took it out of the bag and left it at home--it can be done the first day back.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

A bit of work, some home stuff and some fun...it's about taking some time to rest, reflect and rejuvenate.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Dec 28, 2010

I plan to go in a little bit -- today in fact -- to start thinking about Maternity Leave plans. :)

Also we're starting multiplication the Tuesday we get back so I want to be sure to be ready for that!

Take down the Nativity Scene, etc and get all set up for January...

I feel better knowing it's "done" than leaving it for the days we get back, just preference. :) :love:

10. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 28, 2010

Other than visiting the "teacher boards" no school work for me. The school is locked so I couldn't go even if I wanted. I did my lesson plans for the first week back before break started. We have a staff develpment day on the 3rd so I may stay later and straighten the room/ take down the tree before the kids come back.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I do a bit of school work, but it's stuff I enjoy doing like prepping lessons, etc. I don't grade papers or do any of the stuff I hate. LOL. Lesson planning is fun for me, so when I have the time off, I enjoy looking for new things to do with my kids.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 28, 2010

Me too! Sometimes I wish it wasn't always locked because it would be nice to have the option to go in on a free day, so that I didn't have to stay late so many nights. Over break I am planning to find one day to sit around and get some work done, though I did a lot of my planning the week before break.

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

I have to rearrange desks and do lesson plans. That will be done and completed today. I go crazy having all this time off and not do work. I'm a work a holic and if I didn't work I would end up spending money I don't have.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Dec 28, 2010

My first year or two of teaching, I always had to plan or prep on holidays and weekends.

Now in my third year, I'm with Alice-- I spent a great deal of time over the summer planning my calendar of weekly reading and grammar skills, prepping for activities, creating my own interactive skill notebooks, and finding any worksheets and assessments that I needed. This has made planning in language arts a breeze this year!

In math, we are a Saxon math school, so I don't have to do hardly any planning, but I do supplement it with a vocabulary notebook which I also created over the summer.

In science, I am planning as I go along this year. I did organize my interactive notebook and pulled reading passages that go with each unit. As we go, I am working on finding other activities, and also a science experiment per week.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

Funny you should mention it... TODAY is school work day for me.

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

Me too, McKenna! I have a stack of grading to do, and then I'll spend another morning working on lesson plans. We had a crazy couple weeks before break with snow days, etc., so I was rearranging lessons on the fly. I also have to plan exactly how my kiddos are going to do the science fair...

17. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

ooh, I should also add that the week we get back is the week for report cards...ugh!

18. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 28, 2010

I do some work during the break. I work on my lesson plans and also on organizing my paperwork.

19. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 28, 2010

The only thing I plan to do is grading the essays that I brought home with me, bu so far... I haven't touched them. I have two more weeks. :)

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

I am relaxing. I will work on my newsletter on Sunday night, lesson plans are written and most of my photocopying was done before break. I will go in early Monday to do a few things

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2010

For the most part, I do only the school work that I find most enjoyable so it doesn't at all seem like work. I'll devote one day to actually going in and working (and cleaning!). That was supposed to be today, but...

:whistle:

(This break is more disorganized and crazy than most in regards to school work because we were out of school for most of the last week due to weather...so things are pretty messy both literally and figuratively.)

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2010

I never had a reason to do HW for work before, but if I did, I'd stay late after work a couple or so days before the break starts, just so I don't have to bring any work home.

23. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Dec 28, 2010

I did not bring any work home over this winter break. I try really hard not to bring things home over breaks, although, I did over Thanksgiving, bring SPED paper work home.

24. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

I used to go in just before Christmas and do some of my own stuff, gifts, (being a shop teacher if I supplied my own materials I could work all I wanted).
    Between Christmas and New Years I would go in to work on school stuff it was quieter and no distractions.
    I'd take the kids when they were younger and they would take some scrap wood make some "invention."
    When my son was a baby I'd set up his crib next to my desk and drafting table at home (equipped with all the stuff a baby needs) turn on some good working music and write lesson plans, design my display boards, create work sheets and tests for the rest of the year, since the step kids would be away visiting their Bio dad I only had my son to deal with, we had a great time with mom working and I being "Mr Mom" for the Christmas vacation. I always found I was very productive during the break, so why waste it.

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2010

Since I just got a job, I have to do work over break. My break is short too, cause my new school starts earlier than I would have at my old school. I'm going in tomorrow with about 10 boxes of my things. I have more, but I'm not sure yet if there's room for everything. Hopefully I can get more information from my team teachers so that I can work from home the next few days. It's a little bit longer drive for me, and we only have one car for the next week, so I don't want to drive out every day.

26. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 29, 2010

I've been working for a couple of hours each day on school projects. I love having time during vacations to research and create materials. Right now I'm teaching myself PowerPoint, so I'm spending most of my time on the computer. I've also been doing school related items during wait time...my husband has had several doctor appointments where I sat in the waiting room for an hour or so and I'm taking the car in for service today so I'll have some time to sit in their waiting room and work.

27. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

That was my plan, but I was there late getting things ready for the special events we had in the last days before break (an author celebration, the geography bee, Christmas crafts/parties, etc.) Plus, there was a lot of stuff that needed to get done at home. Even still, I only brought home about 1 full day's worth of work.

28. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

I haven't yet... but I still have another week!

I switched grade levels this year, so I have some prep to do to get the next few months organized. I'll take an afternoon one day and just power through. I know I will be grateful later that I took the time.

But for now, I am prepping by relaxing and taking a much needed break!!

29. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2010

I did all my grading and planning before the break but I have some work to do for the school play that I direct. We start rehearsals after the break.

30. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 29, 2010

I stripped the room of Christmas before I left on break but I did bring my teacher bag home with me to work on some lesson plans. It's work that I enjoy doing and it will make my days back at school run more smoothly.

31. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Dec 29, 2010

Evenings, weekends, and all holidays are mine. I will not let teaching rule my life outside work - it is not fair to me or, more importantly, to my family. I learned that early in my career - if I can't get done with work while at school, I'm not using my time wisely. When I left school at the start of break, I was prepared to start the day we returned.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2010

That's a great rule to always live by. I feel the same way.

33. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Dec 29, 2010

I had very low attendance the last few days of school. We (para) got a lot of stuff taken care of. I even got grades in. I've been doing fun stuff, mainly look for new ideas online.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2010

Relax. I deserve it.

35. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2010

I haven't done anything except rearrange the class lists. Sounds like a lot, but it wasn't. We were supposed to do it after Thanksgiving, and we didn't get to it.

Explanation: We spent the first semester pulling out the kids who were severely below level (13 of them) and had them rotate as a team. They got some very basic reteaching and two teachers for math and reading. Now they are ready to mix into the other classrooms. We wanted to mix them in after 3 months, but got swamped with things to do and had to get a few more caught up to the other classes.

The only subject that will be ability grouped will be math, meaning a whole class of math geniuses and a small class of kids who still need major help. Then another class of kids on level.

This is our first year trying this. We'll see what happens.

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2010

We due for a Middle States re-evalutation this week, so we all got a little bit of paperwork to bring home.

I did mine this afternoon; it took about 45 minutes.

37. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 29, 2010

:thumb: This is my goal. It's going to take me some adjustments because I am high-strung, but ultimately this is my goal.

38. Hifiman

Hifiman Rookie

Dec 29, 2010

I can't do it

I should do some work, but our first day back is a prep day. I'll do it then.

39. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 30, 2010

First year teacher who started in October, so I brought home the stuff I would have done before school started :) I am using next week as my first week of school so I am prepping the class the way I want it.
    Also I took my ESL suppliment earlier this week, so I studied all last week. Now I just sit and wait for my results. I hated spending my holiday studying, but I knew I would not have time during the school weeks :)