Do you do calendar?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chicagoturtle, Oct 11, 2007.

1. firstwonders

firstwonders Rookie

Feb 12, 2008

I teach older preschool...
    we do calender everyday. I have not done it before and I think that it is a great tool for learning.

introduces the concept of time
    paterns (enery month is a different pattern)
    number recognition
    counting
    names of the days of the week and the months of the year
    we also disuss the weather

I also think that they learn some great social skills during group time...how to sit quetly,how to take turns talking and talking in front of a group.

2. Miss A

Miss A Rookie

Feb 13, 2008

I teach one and two years olds and we do calendar. Granted it's an all day program so there's plenty of time. As far as the kids getting anything out of it and learning something, oh yeah definitely!...even at one and two years old. I teach at a school for the Deaf so everything is signed as well as voiced. The kids can sign the days of the week, learn their sign numbers and practice turn taking all by doing calendar. I do circle time song, song of the week song, calendar and weather and it only takes ten minutes. BUT!!! I value our circle time as a very important activity of the day! One and two year olds are pretty wiggly kids so doing this everyday and having a class full of kids this age sitting and doing something together as a group is impressive!

3. mrod

mrod Rookie

Feb 14, 2008

I totally agree with you. I don't do the calendar i've tried it, but like you say its not developmentally appropriate. I am going to school for my bacherlors degree in early childhood, and last semester I did my practicum at the schools preschool classroom and I never saw them use a calendar. The school is NAEYC accredited and since its not DAP then they don't use it. I follow NAEYC to a tee and I'm with you that it is not DAP and if NAEYC dosen't agree with it then why would I do it.

4. movementlady

movementlady Rookie

Sep 22, 2009

I'm curious: Do you have time for less structured activity as well?

5. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Sep 23, 2009

Not really. I have a wipeable calendar where I put the leader of the day on for a week's worth. We talk about who was the leader yesterday, they come and circle their name, and then the leader today we spell their name out. We count the letters in the leader's name. Later in the year we will talk about the leader for tomorrow. So they get the vocabulary, but they're not bored to tears counting all the days, doing days of the week, etc. I personally think that's too abstract for pre-k. We do counting and patterning activities during circle time, during centers, and any other time I see an opportunity.

I was at a different center last time and calendar was expected. I dreaded it every day because the kids got so bored and wiggily.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2009

I enjoy doing the calendar because I post some great fun pictures that highlight our upcoming activities for the month and the kids look forward to it. It helps them tremendously to know that there is a timeline of some sort for them. Calendar time for us just takes about 2 minutes or so, that's it.
    I always encourage my school parents to get a calendar when they go out-of-town and leave the little ones behind. That way, they can see when they are returning.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2009

Yep....I agree with you as well. We used to do it as part of our morning meeting a loooooooong time ago and I haven't done it in at least 10 years.

Children live in the moment. The concept of the passage of time is very abstract, and most children aren't able to think abstractly until they are around 7.

Good for you for following your instincts and using your children's time differently.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 23, 2009

Or circle is much more like morning meeting......it talks about the concept we are talking about, rather than the time.

We have lots of songs, and rhymes and on a really great day-maybe we get to put in the pattern up or practice the days of the week song.

It is about knowing what to do when they get to kinder-not knowing how to run a calendar before they enter kinder. The idea we are shooting for is sit on the carpet, sit criss cross, look at the teacher, look at the book. After that-the rest is gravy. Important, and it often makes or breaks the meal===but not a requirement.

By the end of the year we are doing a full session.

9. Kase

Kase Companion

Sep 26, 2009

The pre-k class at my center does it. In fact we do it starting in the toddler room. I work in the toddler room. We just use it to show the kids what numbers look like and we count, end of story. The 2 year old room does the same. I'm not exactly sure what the 3 year old room does but I do know in the 4 year old room and the pre-k class they definitely work on the days of the week and the month. They count the numbers. The teachers have numbers that come with patterns on them so they are also working on patterns while doing it. Our pre-k teacher and 4 year old teacher both have elementary ed degrees so they are awesome at teaching calendar and getting the kids to understand it. It's amazing to see what children know and learn.

10. Whitchel

Whitchel Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I used to do calendar...like some of you, but this year I decided to do it a little different. I make everything I do in the morning meeting relevant to the kids' day...we do look to see what kind of weather we are having, because that helps us to decide if we get to go outside...we count how many sunny, rainy and so on days we had each week. We put up a sticker on the day we have came to school on our calendar...we count how many days we came to school in the month of September at the end of the month I take down that calendar and give it to a child to take home...I draw their nametag out of our box to decide the winner...I do this with lots of things htat we write together on chart paper, so everyone gets something to take home...and they love it! My calendar is one I have printed off of the internet, each month I print off another one.

11. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

My school is NAEYC accredited and we do calendar every day in my classroom. Does NAEYC specifically say you shouldn't do calendar?

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 26, 2009

What I have read from NAEYC, including the semi-recent large article, states that one should use circle time/calendar with caution and that repeatedly doing things that the children do not understand may have adverse effects.

This article, and the others I have read, have not abolished the use of calendar. They do ask that one keep in mind the ages/stages of the children and use variations of the theme. There have been many variations here, including the pp that sent the calendar home, pp that have jump counts and so on.

I also have not seen the DAP print in large read letters that circle time/calendar time is illegal. Use your best judgement, work with the expectations of your directors/supervisors and go with what the children seem to understand and you should be able to meet the needs of both documents, and the needs of your children.

Just as a matter of conversation we do group time, and in that time we will EITHER read books on the concept or do the numbers on the grid. We always sing songs (either for the days of the week or for the concept) and since I am in a mixed age classroom children are excused to go to a certain play space and have quiet play when they are showing me that they are done sitting still. So we technically have it, so that the pre k children are ready, but we aren't using it inappropriately for those that aren't pre k ready yet.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

For most of my kids the answer is actually yes