Do you do calendar?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chicagoturtle, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I get tired of these new studies. I have done calendar for 5 years. My kids do very well with it. My children can count, know the days of the week and the months in order. We also count the days we have been in school. My children can count by 10s by the end of the year. I also heard that we are to quit letter of the week. I am still concentrating on a letter a week but my units no longer correlate with it. I also review all letters I have been doing. I don't think you should quit calendar unless you feel like you want to.

2. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 14, 2007

I have to. It's required by the curriculum in my program. I'm not crazy about it, but every class (from the 2's group on up) has to do it every day that we're actually doing curriculum (so it's our choice in the summer, but are supposed to most of the rest of the year). On the days I haven't done it, my kids ASK for it... so to them, the comfort of routine is something they want.

Young 2's are VERY simple (count and pattern the next number, talk about today and sing a days song, what's the weather?), and we add more each year. I'm actually doing a MUCH shorter version than last year... but will add more based on their attention span, which at this point is VERY short. We name and say the month, talk about the first letter (We'll spell it later in the year), find today, what letter does it start with, talk about today's number and count to it, and what's next in our pattern of numbers... touch on yesterday/tomorrow (I'll do more with it later in the year, right now, we just give it a brief mention)... somebody tells us what the weather is and we graph it... count how many of each, most/least, etc. My calendar helper tells everybody "Today is Sunday, October 14, 2007" and everybody repeats... that's working on remembering more than one tiny bit of info at a time and listening to each other... they repeat it until the other kids can actually say it. They LOVE this part for some reason. Later in the year I want to add a counter... count how many kids are here, write that number, and sign their name. Attention isn't long enough for that right now for 95% of my class.

I have kids who can tell me what today is, what yesterday is, and what tomorrow will be. I have some who don't have a clue. Most of them don't really get it... but they're 3, they don't have to understand it yet. We talk about "yesterday we ___" or "tomorrow we're going to ___." Again... the kids that get it get it. It's exposure to the others. It's learning to listen to each other... letters and numbers and patterning in the context of something else... concepts of most/least/equal/zero...

I'm actually a BIGGER fan of doing all these things in the context of our daily activities. But, I'm required to do it, so I make the best of it.

3. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I would throw it out. They do it every.single.day in Kindergarten anyway, which I think is enough.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 15, 2007

So if you ask them at the end of the day. Or even an hour after calendar they will know what day it is?

Oh I want to not do the calendar. I feel like I can do better things with their time. But I'm co-teaching, so I have to comprimise. Maybe in a few years I'll have my own classroom or a coteacher who I agree with more on things like these.

Do they know what they are doign when they are counting by tens? Do they know that 10 = ten?

Just curious.

I hate the monday morning alarm.

5. monica

monica Comrade

Oct 16, 2007

Some of my kids can tell me the day later on when I ask, I make it a point too sometimes. Then can also still tell me what tomorrow will be and sometimes what's going on. (Tomorrow is Friday, we don't come to school on Fridays. Tomorrow is Tuesday, we have music.) Again, not all of them get it. That's the way with alot of things we do though, that's ok.

Same thing with the word wall. I introduced it this year, never had it before. I wondered what the heck 4 year olds needed a word wall for. We've been working with it and now ALL 12 kids can read all 12 names of the kids in the class, red, orange, square, September, October, the, and I. I'm pretty impressed!

To each his own, that's what makes us different and awesome teachers.

6. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 17, 2007

We do calendar with our mixed ages .But if they are not into it we stop we try it . We also do weather , numbers , shape, color of the month. We change our meeting to what the children seem to be into for the day.

7. pkh6965

pkh6965 Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

No, I don't. The Education director for my head start says no, no, no to the calendar. She says it's because they don't know yesterday from today or tomorrow. They don't know the days of the week, the only one's they really know are their birthday and Friday. She said it's a waste of time to spend your time doing the calendar when you can be doing something else, at at this age I agree that it's not DAP for them.

8. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Can any of you find anything on the web re: calendar? I keep googling but am not finding any research. We do the calendar daily but it is very simple: counting and a pattern. I don't do anything else but I'm still struggling with do I want to continue with what little I do. Our MSRP program was just evaluated by the state for our competitive grant and she agreed that it is not DAP and in her opinion, is a waste of time for all the reasons stated. I want to redo my schedule next year by length of time (ex: work time a longer sheet of paper and small group shorter).

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 27, 2008

Google "Preschool Math Concepts Calendar". The first hit is an abstract on this subject.

Any current Early Childhood math text will also have this information.

My text books are at school. I get the information for you tomorrw.

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 27, 2008

I don't do "calendar' but refer to it throughout the week. I have one posted in my room but use it for practical purposes. For example, I may say, "On Friday the 14th we have a special event. Let's out a note on our calendar." or "Lucy's birthday is on Friday, January 12th. Let's see how many days we have until her birthday?" and then I'll go to the calendar and figure it our together.

I teach the concept of "today, yesterday, and tomorrow" through our daily conversations.

I teach patterning and the other stuff through our math encounters.

Calendar the way I've seen it done in countless preschools does not make a whole lot of sense to many preschoolers. I have a class this year of mostly 5 year olds and they are fascinated with the calendar this month so we have been spending a lot of time interacting with it. They even asked to make their own calendars, so we did. Some have grasped the concept of using it mark time passed, but most have not.

11. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

In our program, we do the calendar activities. I think the children enjoy the calendar as well as the songs that go with it. I also feel that the children enjoy the repetition as it makes them feel comfortable.

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 27, 2008

Hi Lauriloulou,

My name is Lori and I also teach MSRP:2up:. I don't do a traditional calendar time either. I write a daily message with my students at large group time. I include the date in the message. For example, "Today is Monday January 28, 2008. We also write about who is absent, what is for snack, what we are doing "next" and any other important news. The kids really like the message because the information is important to them.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

Ditto!!

I believe I have 1st grade and nobody will tell me.

here's my take on it...

I have a typical Lakeshore Calendar, with my own calendar pieces that I change monthly. The store brought brands are too small, and I do not do patterns! ugh! AB just makes no sense at this level!!! I have a hard enough time keeping the pieces up there, because my kids pocket them!

I ask what is today, what was yesterday, and what will tomorrow be. I repeat that it is Monday, January 28, 2008. We say the days of the week and the months of the year. We acknowledge birthdays and put a special sticker on that day. We also say the letters and count to ten. Oh, and now we do the word wall too :crosseyed. We go back to calendar and discuss the weather, and my weather bear needs to have his clothes changed. :rolleyes: On February 18th, we will celebrate 100 Days of School! Yeah, complete with a building-wide parade, popcorn, and juice and a movie.

BTW..did I mention I teach sp. ed. pre-k in a regular school building??

Whatever the other pre-k's do, I have to do also! :unsure:

:help:

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

I think it is too hard to make them sit for that long. I can see having them sit for story time, but that's it!

15. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Wow! :sorry: That sounds like a bit much. I know I have some children receiving speech services (processing) and an autistic child that calendar goes way over their head and just doesn't meet their needs. We also do inclusion once a week with the other ECSE (early childhood special ed) so I know both their fascination with calendar (many want to play with mine so I can understand the missing pieces) as well as that even being relevant for them. I've been out of teaching for eight years and back again so I'm an "old newbie." It just helps remind me that everything I do should have meaning and purpose for every child. I'm also officially getting rid of all worksheets. :)