Do you do calendar?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by chicagoturtle, Oct 11, 2007.

1. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 11, 2007

Do you do calendar in pre-k?

(I have the past few years- but all the talk is that it's not DAP and I somewhat agree- my coteachers/assistants want to do it though-- )

Just curious of peoples opinions.

We're 1/2 day prek and I think we have a lot to cram into 3 hours... I want to throw calendar out!

On another note one of my friends said she does hers like a number line instead of like a "month" she said the kids seem to understand it more (not sure if they do- but it's worth a try adn seems more logical-- though the coworkers don't think this is a good idea)

can't win them all.

I suppose it's not gonna harm- just bore the hell out of some and be a waste of time for others---

3. Janet Sue

Janet Sue Rookie

Oct 11, 2007

I teach four preschool classes. A four year old class on MWF a.m. and p.m. and a three year old class on T, TH a.m. and p.m. I do calendar with both groups. The three year olds do the calendar and we stress the month, day of the week, and number day. I use Dr. Jean's "Day's of the Week" Song. We also discuss the weather after calendar and I have felt people that they dress for the weather. My four year old classes, discuss the same, but we add the "Pledge of Allegaince" and also work on the months of the year. Dr. Jean has a great song that we sing for the months as well. By the way, our preschool is only 2 hours long for each session!!
    I noticed that you are from Illinois too. Are you in a public school early childhood at risk program or at a private preschool? Just curious??

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 11, 2007

I know both the Dr. Jean songs. A lot of the current DAP talk is that the calendar is very irrelevant to pre-k. This is why I posed the question. I have done it in the past- but I think it sometimes wastes their time. I feel like there are more important things to do.

I teach Head Start. In Chicago. I work for Chicago Public schools.

I'm tired. More later. Thanks for answering.

5. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Oct 11, 2007

I teach prek five days a week and this is my fourth year. I do calendar EVERY day unless something is going on. I was half day and just changed to all day in the middle of last month. Same thing I tell my parents we are no longer pre K we are really kindergarten and kindergarten is now first grade in how they teach. Back to calendar--we do the pledge, weather count how many days for each month, read the days sing the days of the week song and then read the months and then sing the song. Doing the monthly calendar just itself teaches them very important concepts that they need for kindergarten. 1. They are learning left to right progression as the helper points at the numbers which is a reading concept that they will need 2. They are learning to count so they should be able to count to at least 31 for kindergarten. On my calendar I purposely bought numbers with a different pattern for each month--September's pattern was AB--red apple green apple red apple green apple--this month is AABB---pumpkin, pumpkin, candy corn, candy corn. This age group loves routine and I try to follow the same routine every day and they do learn a lot from the calendar. Just my :2cents:

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 11, 2007

I started out NOT teaching calendar. ( I don't believe it is DOP). This year I thought I would use it just to emphansize L to R (reading) and weather patterns. I dropped it. With a 3 hour program, I can use the time better.

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Oct 12, 2007

I teach part day preschool (4 yrs. olds). In our school some teachers do traditional monthly calendars and some do not. I prefer to do a daily message with the students. The message contains the the day, date, month and year along with other important information.

8. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 12, 2007

I do calendar daily. Our curriculum provides patterned numbers that go along with our monthly theme. We also work on counting and number recognition with our calendar.

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007

I have always done the daily calendar; after the Good Morning to the class...we go over the calendar; it's amazing, but understand how to read one because I always put up "special" days...birthdays, pumpkin patch, etc...

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 12, 2007

See I did all of htat too. The latest DAP though and every meeting I've gone to for SPK/HS lately has said - throw out the calendar. It means NOTHING to these kids and there are far better ways to teach numbers etc. Some of the reasons why -
    1) Time has no meaning to kids this age. Because their lifespan is so short tomorrow seems like forever away. (This is why many will ask you when Halloween is 2 days after it ended etc.)
    2) They will pick it up so much easier when they are older. Why waste so much time teaching them things that they will learn really quickly as they are older.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 12, 2007

My reasons:
    1. Time means alot to my students...instead of me saying that we will be going to the Pumpkin patch next week; I can "show" them when. Otherwise, they will be asking me a millions times each day.
    2. Because it's so much fun for them. They LOVE it! They smile as they anticipate something fun is going to happen.

12. monica

monica Comrade

Oct 13, 2007

I can see where it may not be DAP for ALL 4 year olds, but I think it's important to introduce it to them all. It's like alot of things we do in preschool, everyone is not going to get it. I think it's important to introduce those things though. Surely everyone doesn't remember that we talked about the word extinct this week with dinosaurs, but if a few have added that word to their vocabulary bank and can remember it's meaning... I've done good. Some aren't going to have a clue about the full meaning of the calendar, others get it and remind me of things. "It's Tuesday, we have music today". "Only 2 more days of September Ms. Tanner, then it's going to be October and Halloween is in October" "Today is number 11, my brother is 11". I think I'm doing more good than not-

I have kids who came to me from the 3 year old program at our school and they already know the days of the week, months of the year, numbers 1-31 (in most cases) what "weekend" days are, etc... Even coming in to my room, the calendar activities have them ahead of the game.

I ask what month it is, they tell me. I ask random questions each day. What does October start with, they look & tell me. I'll ask what it ends with, how many letter (o)s does it have, what is the THIRD letter, etc.. We're working on all sorts of things with just that word.
    (I always have one or two that end up being able to spell the months b/c we say the letters & spell it every day. Those few are also usually able to spell the days of the week. Hey, I've added all sorts of words to their vocabulary.)

Then we count from 1 to the date it is that day. I have the #s already on my calendar. BUT I have the season #s on a poster below the calendar. They take the days # off of the poster below (it has tape on it) and tape it onto the day on the calendar. They're matching numbers. (The helper uses a pointer and actually touches the numbers as we count - matches the number & puts it up)

Then we talk about yesterday was/today is/tomorrow will be. They now can identify which dates are Monday, Tuesday, etc... by looking at them. They can essentially read those days already because they pick them out each day to hang up.

We mention special days on our calendar & sometimes count how many days left until it happens. (pumpkin patch, scarecrow day, birthday)

We sang days of the week & months of the year songs until everyone was able to tell me the days & months. We didn't do both songs every single day, sometimes we'd alternate. The kids who didn't know them coming in (that didn't go to 3yr preschool) now already know them. It's just October, I think we did good.

I teach half day (3 hours) and I think calendar is a very important part of my morning together time and couldn't think of letting it go.

:2cents:

13. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 13, 2007

I agree 100%!

14. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Oct 13, 2007

Totally agree with you. They soak everything up like a sponge. Not all of them are going to "get it" but why not put the info out there for the ones who do get it and they are all at least introduced to it. This age group learns stuff fast. I do a class news message almost every day and the other day I did all of their names--then pointed to that name and asked whose name it was. I had several who recognized the names besides their own and told me what name it was and were correct. What not push them a little so they can learn whatever they are able to learn? I have a young group this year also--most won't be five until next spring or summer. I have had several students in the past that have started reading also. Developmentally appropriate doesn't mean much to the schools anymore --they have very high expectations for these kids nowadays. Just like the dibels---we are required to do those for the kindergarten teachers. They want these kids to be familiar with the tests so we dibel them but alliteration and rhyming they are not going to get until a certain age but i have to do the tests.

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 13, 2007

I guess it depends on what you value more for them.

I personally value more where they can construct their own learning and learn what is important to them. Rather than for them to "drill and practice." stuff until they can know it.

To me there are many more important pre-literacy and pre-math skills than those taught by a "calendar." There are better ways of teaching them too.

I guess to each his own right?

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 13, 2007

I agree with you. I have such limited time with my classes (3 hours). Each minute is precious to me.

17. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I get tired of these new studies. I have done calendar for 5 years. My kids do very well with it. My children can count, know the days of the week and the months in order. We also count the days we have been in school. My children can count by 10s by the end of the year. I also heard that we are to quit letter of the week. I am still concentrating on a letter a week but my units no longer correlate with it. I also review all letters I have been doing. I don't think you should quit calendar unless you feel like you want to.

18. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 14, 2007

I have to. It's required by the curriculum in my program. I'm not crazy about it, but every class (from the 2's group on up) has to do it every day that we're actually doing curriculum (so it's our choice in the summer, but are supposed to most of the rest of the year). On the days I haven't done it, my kids ASK for it... so to them, the comfort of routine is something they want.

Young 2's are VERY simple (count and pattern the next number, talk about today and sing a days song, what's the weather?), and we add more each year. I'm actually doing a MUCH shorter version than last year... but will add more based on their attention span, which at this point is VERY short. We name and say the month, talk about the first letter (We'll spell it later in the year), find today, what letter does it start with, talk about today's number and count to it, and what's next in our pattern of numbers... touch on yesterday/tomorrow (I'll do more with it later in the year, right now, we just give it a brief mention)... somebody tells us what the weather is and we graph it... count how many of each, most/least, etc. My calendar helper tells everybody "Today is Sunday, October 14, 2007" and everybody repeats... that's working on remembering more than one tiny bit of info at a time and listening to each other... they repeat it until the other kids can actually say it. They LOVE this part for some reason. Later in the year I want to add a counter... count how many kids are here, write that number, and sign their name. Attention isn't long enough for that right now for 95% of my class.

I have kids who can tell me what today is, what yesterday is, and what tomorrow will be. I have some who don't have a clue. Most of them don't really get it... but they're 3, they don't have to understand it yet. We talk about "yesterday we ___" or "tomorrow we're going to ___." Again... the kids that get it get it. It's exposure to the others. It's learning to listen to each other... letters and numbers and patterning in the context of something else... concepts of most/least/equal/zero...

I'm actually a BIGGER fan of doing all these things in the context of our daily activities. But, I'm required to do it, so I make the best of it.

19. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Oct 14, 2007

I would throw it out. They do it every.single.day in Kindergarten anyway, which I think is enough.

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Oct 15, 2007

So if you ask them at the end of the day. Or even an hour after calendar they will know what day it is?

Oh I want to not do the calendar. I feel like I can do better things with their time. But I'm co-teaching, so I have to comprimise. Maybe in a few years I'll have my own classroom or a coteacher who I agree with more on things like these.

Do they know what they are doign when they are counting by tens? Do they know that 10 = ten?

Just curious.

I hate the monday morning alarm.

21. monica

monica Comrade

Oct 16, 2007

Some of my kids can tell me the day later on when I ask, I make it a point too sometimes. Then can also still tell me what tomorrow will be and sometimes what's going on. (Tomorrow is Friday, we don't come to school on Fridays. Tomorrow is Tuesday, we have music.) Again, not all of them get it. That's the way with alot of things we do though, that's ok.

Same thing with the word wall. I introduced it this year, never had it before. I wondered what the heck 4 year olds needed a word wall for. We've been working with it and now ALL 12 kids can read all 12 names of the kids in the class, red, orange, square, September, October, the, and I. I'm pretty impressed!

To each his own, that's what makes us different and awesome teachers.

22. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 17, 2007

We do calendar with our mixed ages .But if they are not into it we stop we try it . We also do weather , numbers , shape, color of the month. We change our meeting to what the children seem to be into for the day.

23. pkh6965

pkh6965 Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

No, I don't. The Education director for my head start says no, no, no to the calendar. She says it's because they don't know yesterday from today or tomorrow. They don't know the days of the week, the only one's they really know are their birthday and Friday. She said it's a waste of time to spend your time doing the calendar when you can be doing something else, at at this age I agree that it's not DAP for them.

24. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Can any of you find anything on the web re: calendar? I keep googling but am not finding any research. We do the calendar daily but it is very simple: counting and a pattern. I don't do anything else but I'm still struggling with do I want to continue with what little I do. Our MSRP program was just evaluated by the state for our competitive grant and she agreed that it is not DAP and in her opinion, is a waste of time for all the reasons stated. I want to redo my schedule next year by length of time (ex: work time a longer sheet of paper and small group shorter).

25. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 27, 2008

Google "Preschool Math Concepts Calendar". The first hit is an abstract on this subject.

Any current Early Childhood math text will also have this information.

My text books are at school. I get the information for you tomorrw.

26. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Jan 27, 2008

I don't do "calendar' but refer to it throughout the week. I have one posted in my room but use it for practical purposes. For example, I may say, "On Friday the 14th we have a special event. Let's out a note on our calendar." or "Lucy's birthday is on Friday, January 12th. Let's see how many days we have until her birthday?" and then I'll go to the calendar and figure it our together.

I teach the concept of "today, yesterday, and tomorrow" through our daily conversations.

I teach patterning and the other stuff through our math encounters.

Calendar the way I've seen it done in countless preschools does not make a whole lot of sense to many preschoolers. I have a class this year of mostly 5 year olds and they are fascinated with the calendar this month so we have been spending a lot of time interacting with it. They even asked to make their own calendars, so we did. Some have grasped the concept of using it mark time passed, but most have not.

27. Kinder Preppie

Kinder Preppie Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

In our program, we do the calendar activities. I think the children enjoy the calendar as well as the songs that go with it. I also feel that the children enjoy the repetition as it makes them feel comfortable.

28. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 27, 2008

Hi Lauriloulou,

My name is Lori and I also teach MSRP:2up:. I don't do a traditional calendar time either. I write a daily message with my students at large group time. I include the date in the message. For example, "Today is Monday January 28, 2008. We also write about who is absent, what is for snack, what we are doing "next" and any other important news. The kids really like the message because the information is important to them.

29. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

Ditto!!

I believe I have 1st grade and nobody will tell me.

here's my take on it...

I have a typical Lakeshore Calendar, with my own calendar pieces that I change monthly. The store brought brands are too small, and I do not do patterns! ugh! AB just makes no sense at this level!!! I have a hard enough time keeping the pieces up there, because my kids pocket them!

I ask what is today, what was yesterday, and what will tomorrow be. I repeat that it is Monday, January 28, 2008. We say the days of the week and the months of the year. We acknowledge birthdays and put a special sticker on that day. We also say the letters and count to ten. Oh, and now we do the word wall too :crosseyed. We go back to calendar and discuss the weather, and my weather bear needs to have his clothes changed. :rolleyes: On February 18th, we will celebrate 100 Days of School! Yeah, complete with a building-wide parade, popcorn, and juice and a movie.

BTW..did I mention I teach sp. ed. pre-k in a regular school building??

Whatever the other pre-k's do, I have to do also! :unsure:

:help:

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2008

I think it is too hard to make them sit for that long. I can see having them sit for story time, but that's it!

31. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Wow! :sorry: That sounds like a bit much. I know I have some children receiving speech services (processing) and an autistic child that calendar goes way over their head and just doesn't meet their needs. We also do inclusion once a week with the other ECSE (early childhood special ed) so I know both their fascination with calendar (many want to play with mine so I can understand the missing pieces) as well as that even being relevant for them. I've been out of teaching for eight years and back again so I'm an "old newbie." It just helps remind me that everything I do should have meaning and purpose for every child. I'm also officially getting rid of all worksheets. :)

32. lauriloulou

lauriloulou Rookie

Jan 27, 2008

Hey Lori,
    Where do you teach and what curriculum do you use? I love MSRP and feel so blessed to have a job in MI! :2up:

33. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Jan 28, 2008

Master Pre-K, I am doing the same thing, sp. ed. pre-k in regular public school. I am going crazy this year trying to keep up with all the different levels of kids in the class. I do calendar everyday. Nothing special, days of the week, count the days and weather, shake our sillies out. I also sing songs, I do a song for the month and them try to do one that relates to the theme we are doing. (That;s always fun:whistle:)

How many kids do you have in your class? I am getting my 10th next week...(I have 1 aide)

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2008

I'll trade your 10 kids for my one aide! :crosseyed

10 is my max too...but at this rate, I might as well go back to regular pre-k with 18-21 kids! I'm doing all the same things!!! I never saw a sp. ed. pre-k program that required the kids follow the exact same curriculum as regular pre-k!!!

35. Love2shop

Love2shop Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

I wish 10 was my limit. My limit is 12...... I am praying I don't get 12 but last year I did... So you have some trouble with aides too?? I thought it was just me:eek:

36. msj

msj Companion

Jan 29, 2008

I'm kinda' stuck with this... I've been reading the posts and doing alittle research...and I think I agree that calendar might be alittle much, at least for my 2-3.5 yr old class, but I've been doing it from day one. I'm not sure how to move away and how to explain the move to parents...

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 29, 2008

We do calendar with the 3s and 4s. It is basic - counting, days of the week, which month it is. Nothing long and fancy. The kids really seem to enjoy it.

38. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 29, 2008

I teach downriver and we use High Scope.

39. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Jan 30, 2008

We do calendar every day for our 3, 4 and 5-year-olds. We say and spell our month, do our days of the week in a song and count to the current date. We'll use the terms yesterday, today and tomorrow during calendar time. I don't expect the children to remember all this information, but I firmly believe that the exposure to the months, days, numbers, etc. is beneficial and helps build a foundation for when they can fully understand and utilize the concept of the calendar.

40. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

I have 3's and 4's and we calendar every day. At this point I don't think it's very meaningful to them but I do it to give them the exposure. Hopefully next year when they are in the Pre-K class it will just click for them.

I have a helper who puts up the next number on the calendar. Then, the whole class counts up to that number while my helper points to the numbers. The biggest thrill of being the calendar helper is getting to use the pointer! I will also mention the day of the week, month and year to get them used to hearing it. It only takes about 2-3 minutes so for now I think it is worth it.

41. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jan 31, 2008

msj- You can switch to a weekly calendar. Starting with Monday
    ending with Sunday. (The kids understand Monday is the first day of our school week) Place the regular scheduled activities under each day. My kids know the Music teacher comes on Monday, we feed the fish on Wednesday, and the Spanish teacher comes on Friday. You can place a special event, such as a birthday on the calendar at the beginning of the week. Daily you can place a symbol underneath the day if you wish to chart weather.

They get the concept of a time using a calendar. They see you reading from left to right.

You can do more hands on activites for counting and patterning.