Do you 'do' calendar books?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by shartran, Aug 5, 2013.

1. shartran

shartran Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Usually, I will copy out a 'Calendar Booklet' for each student - Blank calendar pages; graphs for weather charting; number grids for days of school thus far; tally charts for 'teeth lost'; birthday charts, etc.,

It's such a lot of work and the kids get SO bored (me too!) filling out the sheets each day -

I would prefer some sort of reference to the above - but in a quicker - more engaging way. I'm thinking of just using my 'Active' white board and call kids up to 'fill-in' the components, however, I want to ensure the rest of the kids are engaged as well...

I'd love to know some of your great ideas please!

Thanks SO much:))

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

No, but once a month I have my kids do a new calendar for that month in centers. I can tell it´s not one of their most favorite center activities, but it does help them to eventually get the idea that the first day on the calendar is not necessarily the first day of the month (oh alays challenging at first), and being able to use the calendar in general. They only do it once a month, so they don´t really get bored of it (though, like I said, it has never been a favorite, either).

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

Thank you for explaining what a calendar book is because it's not part of our curriculum so honestlI wasn't sure. each day for the first week our daily message consists of a short note about that day's reading topic, then it says 'today is Monday. Yesterday was Sunday. tomorrow will be Tuesday'' we also review the day, month, year for about one minute before our math block.

Before common core, there was a section in our math book which focused on calendars. The kids always enjoyed making their own and those activities. I saved a copy of the book b/cI plan to use it as a supplement (it'sScotts foresman)

5. lv2read

lv2read Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I do a daily calendar book. In addition to discussing what day it is, was yesterday, etc, I have the kids colour the square for each day as a way to practice following patterns. As the year goes on, I increase the complexity of the colouring pattern for each month, and by May and June they are asked to make up their own patterns. Hopefully they don't choose a simple "A,B" pattern by that point!

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I do a calendar - just 1 page. The blank calendar is on the front and then different graphs and ten frames are on the back - weather, # of days of school, etc. While students are filling that in independently after our whole-class calendar time I project a counting song that they sing along to while the slower ones finish up.

7. redheadkate

redheadkate Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

I add this in with my science block. I'll have them fill out the charts. Sometimes if it's particularly gloomy or rainy outside, I'll let the kids go outside and we have a classroom camera that I let them use. They observe and take pictures, which I later publish and add to the classroom album. It's like a mini-field trip.