Do you do anything for Father's Day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss W, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

June 17th this year.

Normally I don't do anything for Father's Day because we are not in school at that time. This year my kids have been asking about it.

Do you do anything for Father's Day?

If you're out of school at that time, what do you do?

I'm thinking about getting the DAD keychains from oriental trading to let them decorate near the last day of school and take home. They're only $3.95 per dozen.

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 22, 2008

I don't have that issue, as I teach middle school, but as a single mom, I haveto say that I dread father's day every year. My ex-husband has absolutely NOTHING to do with his kids (his last contact was phone call 5 years ago), and the father's day activities always bring up questions/anger/behavior problems in my boys.

I would not mind them so much, however, if the teachers bothered to find out who the father figure in their life is. If they made something for granddad or my uncle, who both play that role for my boys, then I wouldn't mind so much. It would validate to the boys that they are still okay, even though they don't have a dad, and maybe the anger issues wouldn't be so bad, but bringing home something addressed to "dad" when they don't have one puts me in an awful spot. Its like rubbing salt into a wound.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

I understand. Usually when we make Mother's Day presents I let them address it to mom, grandma, or an aunt. I have some that don't have mom around so they have that option.

5. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Apr 22, 2008

We do donuts for dad (or grandpa, uncle, father figure). The kids love it and the dad's (or male figure) get a kick out of it. Because Father's Day is in the summer we honor our Dad's (male figure) the end of April. It is quick and easy...we sing a song, eat a donut and thank our Dads for coming...We do so much for moms through out the year I think the men deserve something!

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 22, 2008

We can't do anything that involves food.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 22, 2008

That stinks, Miss W. Food is always fun. I know I can always count on our security/handyman/jack of all trades guy to go out and buy pizza or whatever for an impromptu party in my classroom. Fractions are always more fun when they can eat the manipulatives (pizza) afterward.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

We made our mom's little books that the kids filled in...so we did one for dad/male figure as well and a card.