Do you do anything for birthdays?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I really don't give them anything, which may not be right. Maybe I should give them a night free from homework or something else. :) I give them a standing cake on their desks... but I ran out of cakes before last year started and all they got from me was a drawing of a cake with their name in cursive on it in their agendas.

I do make a big fuss of them in the cafeteria... when they bring in cupcakes (or even when they don't), we sing to the birthday kid in the cafeteria in front of ALL the fourth graders. Strangely, the other kids in the cafeteria like it when I make a fuss. :cool: By the end of the year last year, we had other classes copying us. :lol:

Yet maybe you have an idea that will work... what do you do for birthdays... as well as summer birthdays?

3. Madee

Madee Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Birthday Bags

I make up "Birthday Bags" to hand out to students on their birthday. I usually buy the bags from Dollar Tree. Each goody bag contains a pencil, small notepad, sticker, homework coupon and 4 tickets. (The tickets are our reward system and I include 4 for 4th grade. Cheesy, but they love it).

For my summer birthdays, students receive bags on their half-birthday.

4. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I love the birthday bag, in fact, I may just use that this year. The past years I have used small gel pens, decorative erasers, small highlighters from the dollar spot at Target.

5. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I don't give them anything. We make a big deal out of it by singing Happy Birthday throughout the day, but that's it & the kids are excited every time we start singing.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 25, 2009

LOVE the birthday bags!! I'm off and running with this idea...I think I will get them all ready (plus a few extras for move ins in the closet), staple them to the birthday BB that I also stole from A to Z...write names & date on each bag (BB will be next to calendar BB...) so I can pull it off on the day, sing HB song, and give gift...excellent

Thanks for the idea!

7. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 25, 2009

I give out "Happy Birthday" bookmarks for birthdays.

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

I give them a homework coupon for their special night (courtesy of VistaPrint :D ) and a pencil.

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I give a pencil, let them choose a job for the day (AM or PM helper), and we sing Happy Birthday. It seems that fewer students are bringing in treats to share. I do take treats in on my birthday to share with them!:)

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I don't feel so bad, then! :haha:

I am not the "birthday bag" type. My classroom is already "overstimulating" to an extent and has all kinds of trinkets that excite the kids. The kids know I love them very much. They receive gifts from me at Christmas from the dollar store (as well as hand-painted ornaments) and a bag of goodies before our St. Augustine trip (vial of the Fountain of Youth, postcards, shells, brochures, sometimes a small gift- it depends on how I'm feeling that year :) ). So... I do give them things, anyway. I am thinking probably for birthdays I may give a No Homework pass and sing Happy Birthday numerous times, but that'll be it.

11. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I have a box of books that I get with bonus points or the $1 books from Scholastic. They get to choose one of the books for their birthday. We also have a cupcake headband that they wear while we sing happy birthday.

12. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

I've never done much for birthdays. This year, I have ordered birthday cards and and (non birthday) homework passes from Vista Print. I plan to put a homework pass in the birthday card. They won't have to use the homework pass on their birthday. I have been thinking about having a monthly birthday "party", too.

13. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

At the beginning of the year I teach them all how to sing Happy Birthday in Sign Language (I actually learned it by watching an episode of Sesame Street with my 2 year old...HA HA) They think it is the coolest thing EVER to have everyone signing and singing to them at the same time.

This past year when I taught 2nd, they got a big sticker to wear all day and a pencil, but I may upgrade for 4th grade this year. I am still going to do the sing language thing though. I am sure you could youtube how to sign it if you're interested. It's SUPER easy.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

The sign language sounds really neat! I've always wanted to use it in my classroom somehow. :)

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2009

I should get a humongous sombrero. Just kidding. :lol: Seriously.

16. MsG

MsG Companion

Jul 26, 2009

I just got back from a cruise and brought one back for that exact reason. They're gonna crack up! :)

17. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Jul 30, 2009

Ooh--I love the idea of celebrating the half-birthday! Thanks for the idea!

18. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I have a birthday lunch. They invite three friends to eat lunch with me in the classroom. Depending on the student, I sit and visit with them or I sit at my computer or desk and give them their space. At the end all four choose a small trinket (pen, bookmark, notepad) from my prize bin.

I'm not sure why they love eating in the classroom, but they are always very excited about it.

19. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I always give kids a birthday pencil, bookmark, and a cute little birthday sign with their name on it. I like the birthday lunch idea...I may add that in this year.

20. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

My kids would love to eat anywhere but OUR classroom...we don't have a cafeteria, so we eat lunch in the room every day! :blush:

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Do you have any tables outside? We go out there as a class a few times a year. :)

22. priyaanka

priyaanka Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

I give them a lot of chocolates, toys, pencil box and activity material etc. and I liked the idea of Ms.Jasztal standing cake on the desk. In future, I’ll definitely do it. Thanks Ms.Jasztal.

23. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Birthday books

Like a previous poster, I have a picnic basket with a birthday bow on top. I fill it with bonus points books from book clubs or new looking books I find at garage sales. On their birthday, we sing to the students as they travel to the birthday book basket to pick out a book and a bookmark.

24. ebarb

ebarb Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

I, too, will be doing a homework free pass the night of their birthday to free them of one assignment (not reading). They can bring in cupcakes and we'll sing but that is my extend. I do have stickers but that is all I plan on doing.