Do you do anything for birthdays for older kids?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by perplexed, Jul 21, 2012.

1. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

For middle school, I used to have goody bags ready for them. Eventually, it was too tedious to do at the beginning of the year. Then I gave out candy, but I started to eat it myself if I had no other food in my room. Last year, I didn't do anything, but I had all birthdays posted still. Anyone do anything that works great? Or do I not do anything for 12-14 year olds?

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

For my 6th graders my first two years I gave them a Happy Birthday sticker, which they looked forward to and even reminded me if forgot, and a hershey bar. I bought enough hershey bars and the beginning of the year and kept them locked up and even though I love candy I managed not to eat them all. This past year, I only gave out the sticker and they seemed happy with that too.

4. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Jul 21, 2012

I buy the big packs of goofy pencils at the Dollar Tree and make a big ceremony out of "The Birthday Pencil" and we all sing.

5. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

I don't do anything, but some teachers on the team do. If I know it is a child's birthday, I do wish them happy birthday. I used to have kids let me know when there was a birthday and I'd have all the kids in the cafeteria sing Happy Birthday. I stopped that when the kids started screaming the song and didn't stop when I warned them about that.

6. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jul 21, 2012

It's kind of a tradition at our school that girls get a dollar on their birthday and they wear it on a clip attached to their shirt.

I don't know where it came from or why it's girls-only, but that's what we do.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2012

I post a birthday card once a month (plus a 2nd in June for the "summer babies") in my homeroom.

Before we had compute access to the dates, I just passed around a sign in sheet on the first day.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

We're a small campus, so we post birthday's on our online calendar (that only the students and teachers can see). Other than that, we don't do a thing. I usually give the student a panda sticker, though. :)

9. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 21, 2012

I post a monthly happenings list (club meetings, games, important due dates) and I include birthdays on the list.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 21, 2012

I would write "Happy Birthday So and So!" on the board really big in bright chalk. Then accent it with some squiggles and balloons. I would leave it up for the whole day, so everyone knew it was their birthday. They seemed to enjoy it :)

11. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

I like the idea of just recognizing them! I'll be sure to do that and be consistent with it. I do always have their birthdays on display in the classroom on a poster, but I'll write it on the board or something. I have birthday postcard things left, which I can give them with a cool pen, pencil, or stickers. Thanks everyone!

12. MissApple

MissApple Companion

Jul 23, 2012

That's a really cute idea. My kids love the chance to write on the board and leave messages for their friends in my other classes, so a birthday message for everyone to see would go over really well.

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 23, 2012

We use PowerSchool for grades at my school, and I like how the gradebook gives you a notification when it's a student's birthday. I don't do anything special, but I do say happy birthday to them when they are walking into class. My friend across the hall writes students' birthdays on a calendar she has posted on one of her bulletin boards.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 23, 2012

We sang happy birthday after morning announcements, I kept a small birthday chart, and the student could bring in goodies to share - for either morning or after lunch.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2012

I would say give pencils... They always seem to need them. An how fun to have silly pencil!!!

I know I gave pencils one year for Halloween... happened to find those triangular pencils that were black with different colors when you sharpen... The kids went crazy for them and I taught Elem!!!

16. Maree

Maree New Member

Jul 28, 2012

These are all great...thanks

17. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I give students a birthday card - signed by all their friends - and their favorite candy.

It's funny to see how third graders handle b-day cards vs first graders. My first graders would sign their names only but would try to make them "fancy." And my third graders would write a short sentence about the b-day student. Current Catalog has pretty good deals on kids' b-day cards.

18. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I give the students a homework pass. They can use it that night or whenever. They love it and look forward to it and it doesn't cost me anything!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

I give them a scratch and sniff birthday sticker. They love them!

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

In MS, I allow the class to sing to the child and I will join in, really off-key and off-pitch. But I do this only for my homeroom students, during homeroom. And, I do not do this for every child - only the ones who I knew it was their birthday because they personally reminded. I don't bother keeping track of every child's birthday.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 18, 2012

I gave my sixth graders a mechanical pencil and a card.