Do you create your lesson plans with other teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starivy, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Oct 11, 2005

I have a question, once you become a teacher do you create the same or similar lesson plans with other teachers in your grade level? I notice taht schools have teams of teachers in their grade level and they meet once a week. In the kindergarten level, I saw the same exact halloween project that our kids were working on, already hung in the halway from another class. Then in the 5th grade level, the teacher always calls the teacher next door to see how far they got in that particular subject.

If they are following the same exact content material and the same exact creative projects, where does the individual teachers opion to do other things come in? Or do they all get together and agree to pick the best options.

If someone could explain, that would be great!!

3. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Oct 11, 2005

the majority of the schools i've worked in have expected the grade level teachers to pretty much do the same thing (for example, be on the same lesson in the curriculum, etc.). however, there are usually opportunities to do your own thing in regards to science/social studies, seasonal art projects, etc. it really depends on the school, though. i steal a lot of good ideas from the teachers i work with! -meri

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 11, 2005

At the school where I student taught, the teachers were not even close to being on the same page. They followed the same curriculum and used the same teacher's manuals, but did not do anything the same. They would meet once every grading period to discuss the results of the benchmark tests that were given to the classes and decide the strenghs and weaknesses, but other than that, they didn't work together much. Every once in a while they would ask each other for ideas about teaching something, but did not teach the same lessons everyday.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 11, 2005

I worked at a school where we all pretty much did different things.
    This year I am at a new school and my partner and I are try and stay on the same things together. We always talk to see what the other is doing and we share ideas. We don't always do the same activities but we are working on the same theme.

6. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2005

We pretty much stay on the same lessons give or take a day or 2. We always share, share, share. It is the only way to have fresh ideas and maintain your sanity.

7. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 11, 2005

We do as far as the core subjects. When it comes to art, holidays, etc. We do our own thing!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 12, 2005

We do both. We've sat down and mapped out the entire year of what we need to teach during what month. We also meet once a week to share ideas, frustrations, and neat worksheets or activities we've found.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 12, 2005

We have to be on the same spelling list, reading story, and math unit to keep some parents from complaining to the principal, but the method is entirely up to us. If we find a really great lesson though, we share it.

At my last school we planned together, type up the lesson plans, put everyone's name on the plans and turned it in. We didn't always do the same things though, but we were given more leeway from the principal as long as we produced all passing scores on the state tests.

10. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Oct 12, 2005

At my school, we have monthly grade level meetings. At that time we discuss what we will be doing for each week for that particular month and any other issues that might have come up. Then a few of us get together each week and plan. We basically have the same plans for core subjects, and are able to share ideas for art projects, holidays, etc. It works out well, the classes are all on the same page, so to speak, yet each teacher still shows their individuality. :D

11. Miss O

Miss O Rookie

Oct 12, 2005

At my school, we do both. It is really up to the teacher.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2005

My grade level tries to stay on the same pace for math. Reading is something brand new- guided reading and we are all in different places. We are all basically on the same page for language arts, but we don't plan that together. We do our science and ss units in a general order but we don't plan them a specific way or for a specific time. I guess we basically do our own thing aside from math.

My first job, however, I planned almost everything with another teacher. I guess it depends on your preference and where you work:)

13. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Oct 12, 2005

Ah yes.... the land of theory vs. reality.

I teach in a 8th & 9th Grade Jr. high. subjects are departmentalized. Our Science department marches "lock-step" in how they teach.... In fact, they have file cabinets that are stocked with ample copies of worksheets, quizzes, & Tests for the entire grade. All the other departments follow a generalized curriculum that affords each teacher the opportunity be individualistic.

14. chalky

chalky New Member

Oct 12, 2005

generally I like to do my own thing, It seems to me that students enjoy a fresh lesson that is different from other stuff they have seen or done before.Some schools however seem to lock there teachers into specifics. I have a couple of websites I get common topics with a different approach. Seems to work out really well.

15. Chocolate

Chocolate Rookie

Oct 16, 2005

websites

Which websites do you find most helpful?

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 16, 2005

Getting ideas from other teachers and working with people for fresh ideas is one thing, but requiring all of the teachers to teach things a specific way and stay on the same page every day seems to be a little much. Students learn differently and it is our job as teachers to "tweak" our lessons to meet their needs....whether that means jumping ahead of other classes or staying behind and going over the same material for longer periods of time.

17. chalky

chalky New Member

Oct 16, 2005

best websites

Chocolate, a couple of my favourite sites to save time and give variety would be maths creator, for creating instant maths sheets and answers, discovery school puzzle maker for instant word searches, and mazes, for hundreds of quality lessons across the board, including an excellent famous people comprehension book try www.instant schoollessons.com, so many prepared lessons. Evidently, soon there is a Jumbo Christmas Book for middle and upper elementary. a great start, hope this helps.

18. chalky

chalky New Member

Oct 27, 2005

19. NCP

NCP Comrade

Oct 27, 2005

At my school we have some grades that plan together and others, like mine, who don't. We do have a curriculum map for our grade that outlines things like what unit we should be on in reading, math, sciencs/social studies, but lessons are left up to the teacher. I often make copies of lessons that went well or reproducibles that I like and pass them along. Especially since we have had two new teachers in the past two years.

20. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2005

We dont plan evertying together...but we do the same themes and are within a day or two of each other. We teach the same themes and have the same objectives, but sometimes our approach and activities are different!

21. lovemy2dgraders

lovemy2dgraders Rookie

Oct 27, 2005

We all work together and share lesson plans and ideas. The creativity is still there, because we all come up with ideas and share them. For the most part, we have similar ideas as far as what will work or what will be most enjoyable, but on the rare occassion that we disagree, each is free to go her own way. We do write the lesson plans together, though, which just saves a lot of work if you ask me!

22. Chocolate

Chocolate Rookie

Oct 29, 2005

Lovemy2dgraders it sounds like you have a great team. I am still frustrated with my team. We meet every Tuesday and Wednesday and we still don't plan together. When we meet, the "veteran" teachers talk about one subject and will stay on it until the end of the meeting. Sometimes, someone will come in and interrupt the meeting and we never get started with planning. My team leader is unorganized and does things in pieces. She jumps from one topic to the next and will not complete one thought before starting another. Sometimes I want to redirect her but since I am the new kid on the block, I don't want to "rock the boat". During my first year as a teacher, I had a team like this and I was so miserable that I wanted to quit. This is my 4th year as a teacher but my first year as a third grade teacher. I taught kinder for two years and 2 my first year. I have discovered that teaching 3rd grade is another ball game. I was thinking about calling a meeting on Monday to talk to my team about my frustrations. I don't want to continue wasting my time during planning meetings and feeling frustrated the rest of the year. On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't say anything just to get along. Do you have any suggestions?

23. Ali

Ali Companion

Oct 29, 2005

In my 6 years of teaching 5th grade I have really seen the difference a good team can make. I started off with a team that got along but we didn't work together on anything. Then my team changed into one that didn't really get along as a whole. Finally, I am a part of a team that meshes very well and, wow, what a difference! I do team plan with the other teacher that teaches the same subjects as me and I don't feel that my originality is stripped away at all. Even though we do basically the same things, our style and presentation remains our own and original. I must say I love always having someone to bounce ideas off of and someone to share with. Plus, as someone already said, it really cuts down on the work because we share the load. Plus, its much more fun! I do recognize, though, that if you're a part of a team that doesn't really mesh, all the trying in the world on your part can not make your team work together. I think you have to be compatible as people before you try to work so closely together.

24. Chocolate

Chocolate Rookie

Oct 30, 2005

Thank you. This is a great website.

25. Chocolate

Chocolate Rookie

Oct 30, 2005

Ali, thank you for your reply. I have concluded that all teams aren't perfect and I will have to make the best of my current situation. However, it does make my job as a first year third grade teacher challenging and stressful. Thanks again.

26. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Oct 30, 2005

My grade level has 8 teachers so we are never exactly in step with each other. We met over the summer and set out a guide for the year. So we all know what topics we are teaching when. For instance we are all teaching Main idea this 2 week block. We also assign the science and social studies topics to a pair of teacher to create our lesson plans. So I only have to do 6 weeks of science plans this year the rest will come from the other teachers. So we do follow those to the best of our ability. We meet weekly to discuss all sorts of things.

27. Ali

Ali Companion

Oct 30, 2005

Chocolate- Keep in mind to that you are not destined to be on this team forever! In just 6 years, my team has morphed in many ways! Now my team is good and we all have quite a few years ahead of us so we're planning to stick together! If your team is comprised of mainly older teachers who are soon to retire, maybe just stick it out and hope for a better team to come. If this seems like a team with staying power, maybe you should consider transferring to another grade or building.

28. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Oct 30, 2005

Wow! I never realized that somewhere out there teachers were made to all be on the same page! That was an eye opener.

At my school we all do our own thing but we share so much materials & many ideas that we usually end up doing much of the same ideas! Most of us use Saxon math but 1 teacher is doing her own math thisyear. our principal says the only thing that should guide us in lesson planning is our state standards. The text is there as a tool. We don't teach the text, we teach the standards my principal says. :)

Sometimes its nice to have so much freedom but them again sometimes, especially in my 1st year of teaching 6 yeras ago, I was lost! Didn't know where to start or what to do cuz everyone did their own thing basically.

I sure have learned a lot!

Tina

29. lovemy2dgraders

lovemy2dgraders Rookie

Oct 30, 2005

Not sure which post you were responding to, but just to make sure, we are NOT required to be on the same page by our principal at all! We are required to cover certain material in our state's new comprehensive curriculum, which is far from perfected (that's a whole other thread), but we are not REQUIRED to work together, we CHOOSE to work together. I am incredibly lucky with the teachers I work with. I like it because I feel like when we each focus on one main topic, the results are better than if we were all trying to do it all by ourselves. We trade out, this week I did social studies, but a few weeks ago I was doing math. I cannot imagine if I was stuck with teachers that would not work together, especially since this is my first year!