Do You Cover Your Camera??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by WindyCityGal606, Aug 6, 2013.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

My sister came to visit for a few weeks this summer and she covers the camera on her laptop with a sticky note because she believes the news stories about hackers being able to watch us through our cameras without the LED light coming on to warn us the camera has been activated. Supposedly,they not only can watch you if they want but they can also access your personal info and logins via the ability to see your screens thru your camera ???? :dizzy: Do any of you cover your camera or even believe any of this is true? I was skeptical until my local news station did a story on this very topic. They're advising folks to cover up their camera lens.

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

That is very creepy because I am sitting here with my head wrapped in an ice pack and swollen face from getting my wisdom teeth out and hiding from the world at the moment. eek!
    I suppose it would not hurt to stick something over the lens so I probably should, but I will probably turn it into a quote written on washi tape so I don't seem overparanoid. : )

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2013

I saw something the other day...now I turn camera down not on me...

They did something on the smart TVs being able to see into your living room....

5. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Aug 7, 2013

The only way I have ever heard of a hacker being able to know your logins and passwords is through a keylogger. I'd be very surprised to see a hacker be able to do that through a web camera on your computer.

Off to look this up now... :whistle:

ETA: I found this on the Norton Security website. It's a good read for those of you who are concerned!

http://us.norton.com/yoursecurityresource/detail.jsp?aid=webcam_hacking

As for me, I don't have an internal webcam on my computer, and I rarely have my external one plugged in. Plus, I shut down my computer after I've finished using it for the day, and I always have a good anti-virus program installed on my computers at all times.

Follow the recommendations in the article I mentioned above, and you'll be fine. If you prevent a hacker from gaining access to your computer through remote assistance viruses, you won't have any issues!

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013

Totally off topic but I'm getting my wisdom teeth out next week and I'm petrified. Please tell me it's not that bad!! (Or tell me it's horrible so I can cancel my appt, haha jk)

As far as the camera thing goes- super creepy- not sure I believe it. I don't cover mine. Not sure I will.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2013

Wisdom teeth depends.
    I only had 2 wisdom teeth had them removed and I went out dancing the next nite.
    Sis had 3 and had to miss 3 days of work & swelled!!!

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

I put off getting them out for 20 years. It is not that bad though as long as I take advil around the clock and use ice packs. I have a stronger pain medicine, but have not used it. If it were a work week I would definitely be out of work because I am sore and swollen and don't like to talk.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2013

See now I had mine removed before roots could grow around bone... maybe it made it easier. First night was rough...but after that I was ok.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 7, 2013

My 17 yr. old son had his 2 lower wisdom teeth removed on Monday. He has swollen up. He was suppose to work today & called in.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013

:( Wisdom teeth thread now.....

12. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Rookie

Aug 7, 2013

It's completely possible for someone to maliciously gain control of the camera with you never knowing. Call me paranoid, but a little piece of black tape or post-it note is cheap insurance. Plus, I never use the camera anyway.

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 10, 2013

I put a sticker over the one built into my laptop. It freaks me out.

14. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 10, 2013

Uh, no. I don't care if someone looks at me. I also don't care if the government listens to my phone calls or reads my texts. I know it's the "principle" of the matter, but I don't have anything to hide so I'm not too concerned.

I will probably get flamed for this :p

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

I wasn't even sure if my laptop had a camera. It does. I'm not covering it. If some poor soul wants to see me in my crappy at-home clothes, no make-up, no bra, and hair like Kramer . . . well . . . they can have at it. ;)