Do you cook dinner on school nights?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by heavens54, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 26, 2010

No cooking here for me. I am spoiled since my mom lives with me and does ALL the cooking

2. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Aug 27, 2010

My daughters and I plan out the week's menu on Saturday. One of the girls is a vegetarian, so we include one vegetarian item each day. My youngest gets home around 2:30, so she starts any prep work and gets things going before I get home. We cook every night except one night a week my husband and I go out to eat together for a date night.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

Ditto

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 27, 2010

Not everybody has a SO.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 27, 2010

I almost always cook on school nights. If I've had a particularly exhausting day, or I'm not feeling well, I may just throw a frozen pizza in the oven or get take out, but more often than not, I cook. I also use my crockpot a lot during the winter. It's great to get home at 5:30-6:00 and know that dinner is ready for us to eat.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 27, 2010

Most recipes I've seen have been fine for 8-10 hours on low. I also bought a crockpot that switches itself to "warm" after the set time is done. For example, if I set it for 10 hours on low, once those 10 hours have passed, it switches over to "warm" until I turn it off. That works great for me especially on Tuesdays when I'm gone 7-5:45.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 27, 2010

OHH I've made the cake too. Came out really nice.

Well, my husband does know how to cook but he rarely has time for it. I get home earlier so I just do it. He will help with holiday meals and such but for the day to day meals I just take care of them. The few times he did help, I ended up having a huge mess to clean up! Also, he keeps forgetting where I keep things in the kitchen so after him asking me where everything is, it's easier for me to just do it :lol:

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 27, 2010

I really like that "warm" feature but not all crockpots have them. My mom thought I was making it up because she didn't have it on hers LOL

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2010

He's been cooking since school ended in June :D

But I get home first. So, during the school year, it tends to be my job.

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 27, 2010

That's funny that she thought you were making it up! haha

My first crockpot didn't have that feature, but then I saw the one my dad's girlfriend has and thought it was the coolest thing. I went out and specifically bought one that had that feature because I knew it would be useful for me on my late days at school.

11. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 27, 2010

I cook bigger meals on the weekend and then we can eat leftovers on Monday and Tuesday. I might do a roast on Saturday, make veggie beef soup on Sunday, beef and noodles on Monday, and we will finish up leftovers on Tuesday. That also gives me stuff to take to school for lunch.
    I definitely don't feel bad about soup and grilled cheese or something like that for dinner. My kids love breakfast for dinner - pancakes, eggs, grits, bacon, and gravy. We balance it out with fruit for dessert.
    Most nights I don't get home until 5:30 and after feeding chores, we don't get into the house until 6:00 or so. There just isn't time to cook a big meal when the kids should be getting in the tub at 7:00.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 27, 2010

I cook a lot on Sunday and freeze everything for the week. This week chicken breast and NY Strips were on sale. So on Sunday I marinated some of the chicken for Monday and some of the Steak for Tuesday and left the rest in the Freezer. I also made some of my Alfredo Sauce for Chicken, Broccoli Alfredo.

Monday: Chicken on the Grill with Italian Dressing Marinade. Served with rice and grilled asparagus. I used the left over chicken for lunches on Tuesday with Salad.
    Tuesday: NY Strips with Basked Potato and Mixed Veggies.
    Wednesday: Chicken Alfredo. Leftovers for Thursday's Lunch.
    Thursday: My famous Chinese Chicken
    Friday: Pizza Night. This Friday we made our own homemade pizza. We had BBQ chicken pizza.

Saturday: The kids were all out so we just made Sandwiches on the Sandwich Press. Though I did make some chicken noodle soup Saturday and let it brew for Sunday.
    Sunday: Chicken Noodle Soup

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 27, 2010

I don't eat beef or pork so my diet consists of pasta, chicken, and grilled cheese. Sometimes I am good and have a salad. :lol: It helps to make big batches of things on Sunday.

14. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

Make sure your cooker is at least 3/4 of the way full. If not, it will cook very quickly and burn. For hubs and I,most of our cooking is done in a 3 1/2 qt one. But use our big (6 qt) programmable one for special things by putting everything in a pyrex glass dish with a silicone trivet/lid on top. Works perfectly b/c we get to use the timer without our food cooking way before we get home!

15. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

I use my crock sometimes, but my hubs doesn't get home until 7 usually and is gone two nights a week. I meal plan, and cook most nights, but find it hard to cook when he isn't home. I find chopping veggies, cooking them in a skillet very relaxing. We don't have a dishwasher, so I love dinners with easy clean up!
    This week enjoyed Thai Chicken Pizza, Arribita Sauce Spaghetti with turkey Italian sausage, zucchini, onion, and corn gnocchi, bbq turkey beef cups tomorrow.

16. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

I have a series of personal chefs that take care of ALL of my cooking needs for me; "The Colonel," "The Burger King," "Ronald MacDonald," .... (LOL!!!)

17. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

I love to cook, but I'm bad about it sometimes during the school year. I'll either have a salad or some delicious, frozen, very bad for you meal.

I really need to jump on the crockpot train.

18. gigi

gigi Groupie

Aug 28, 2010

I use a cookbook called Desperation Dinners written by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross. Everything in the book takes 20 minutes from start to finish and uses fresh or canned food. Stews, soup, skillet meals, pasta, etc., all in one pot or pan. One of our favs during the winter is Grandma's Chicken Stew:

2 cans fat-free chick broth (If I have homemade I use it)
    1 can vegetable broth
    3/4 already shredded carrots (or veg-all, left over veggies)
    8 ounces wide egg noodles
    1 large can white meat chicken (if we have have left over chicken I use that)
    1 tbl all-purpose flour
    2 tbl cold water
    pepper to taste
    Bring broths to boil in soup pot, when it boils add chick and it's juices. Cover the pot and bring back to a boil
    Uncover, break up chicken
    add noodles bring back to a boil.
    Combine floor and water in a container that has a lid, shake until lumps disappear..
    when noodles are tender add flour stir constantly until slightly thick, about 2 min.
    Done!

This cookbook has saved my life, check it out!

19. Iheartmath

Iheartmath Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

Last year I started designating a day of the week for certain types of food...it's worked out great - I have a 5 yr. old and 8 yr. old. Planning ahead has saved lots of time in the long run.

Mon - McDonalds (yes, yes, I know!! But we had to run from school to ballet to religion class with maybe 20 minutes in between!)
    Tues - Taco night
    Wed - noodle night (my picky eaters actually like lots of different pastas)
    Thurs - grill out
    Fri - order pizza or family dinner out
    Sat & Sun - My husband or I make something more complicated... or we get together at one of the grandparents for dinner.

And I know not everyone has this with their local supermarket, but ours started a "Click and Go" program where you order your groceries for the week online, set up a pick-up time, and they will load everything into your car when you pull up...LOVEITLOVEIT!!! I don't mind the cooking, it's the shopping I can't stand. And the bills have gone down each month! They charge a fee of around $8 each time you do it, but I know my tendency to purchase things on impulse added up to beyond $8!!!

20. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

This is definately something I struggle with. I live alone and often don't get home until after 5:30 on school days. Add in the fact that I just don't like to cook. I make lots of microwavable meals or pizzas for dinner. Last night I had a bagel with peanut butter and some dry cereal. It was delicious, quick, and easy clean up! LOL.

21. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 28, 2010

I try to make things that I don't have to "babysit" during the week. They are items I can throw in the oven or let simmer for awhile so I can do other chores too.

Panko Crusted Pork Chops or Chicken
    Beef Tips with rice
    Macaroni and Cheese (I use the rice cooker and dump in all the ingredients for this recipe. I can walk away and have mac n cheese in 20 minutes)
    Chicken Enchilada Soup
    Meatloaf
    Chili
    Mufaletta Sandwich

If I'm making something like taco's and spaghetti in the same week I will cook all the ground beef at once and reheat it on another night.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 28, 2010

If it were just me I'd live on crock pot meat or the occasional broiled chicken breast. Thankfully, Rockhubby loves to cook and is good at it.

23. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2010

I haven't cooked for this first week... however usually I do cook 3 meals/week. We have leftovers every second day and leave one day for take out. It works for us. I plan my meals for the week before going to the store and try to stick to my list.

24. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2010

My husband did for our entire marriage (almost 10 years now) up until we moved to MX and he was working until 9pm almost nightly. So, I cook now. I am finished with school now, so I have the entire evening free.

25. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Once summer is over, we go back to DH doing all the cooking. (He packs my breakfast and lunch, too, every school day.)

26. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

Are crock pots relatively safe? I've never used one and am concerned about leaving it on all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.