Do you continue Daily 5 all school year long?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, May 20, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 20, 2011

I think I have said here many times that even though I do a modified version of Daily 5, I have not read the book (it's on my list of books to buy and read this summer). So, is it supposed to be done all the way to the end of the school year? I have a month and a week or two left, so do I continue to the very end? I can't remember how long I did it last year, but I am pretty sure it wasn't necessarily correct.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 20, 2011

I've done it up until the last day... it provides some really nice structure to the last few weeks of school.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 21, 2011

I do it all year, but it's been modified these last couple of weeks because my students are doing written reports. If students are where they are supposed to be with their report, they can make any daily 5 choice. If they need to work on their report, I require them to make a writing choice.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 21, 2011

Thanks for the input. That makes sense. I will continue until the end of the year as well then, but probably do like Cruiserteacher, if I have something else they are working on, that will get done. Thanks again!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 21, 2011

We continue until the end of the year as well! One little note though, their stamina tends to drop a bit so they may need to work for less time but complete more of the activities. Usually we have time for something reading and something writing in sixth grade. Now the students need three activities to get through the period. More like the beginning of the year when stamina was lower.