Do you consider yourself frugal?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by CanukTeacher, Nov 5, 2009.

1. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 5, 2009

Just curious :) I've found a way to watch back episodes of 'Till Debt Do us Part - a very interesting show about finances. Gail talks about expenses and good budgeting. She discusses everything from the fact that parents should charge their adult children rent so they don't start adulthood living beyond their means to what percentage of your income should be devoted to savings. Just curious about the range of approaches to money on the board.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 5, 2009

I think I am pretty frugal. I buy new clothes because I need them only. I might splurge on groceries, but mostly I buy on sale. I am debt free except for our home. But I try to be frugal so I have the means to give to others who might be in need. And I like to buy my kids gifts, but mostly little things - they had to save up for their special things.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2009

Hubby and I have been pretty squirrely with our money for the past 35 years because we want to be able to be comfortable when we retire. It also means that we've been in the position to help out family members when they've needed it. I always look for ways to save money. I use coupons and we have a credit card that gives us frequent flier miles - last month we flew to the east coast for our niece's wedding, and all three of us (DD came too) went for free. If I can save some money, I do!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

I could be better, for sure. But we live debt free, with the exception of my student loans and those are very minimal. If I had more time, I would love to look for sales at the grocery store, make my own food, etc. But I tend to get really stressed, wait until the last minute, and then just grab whatever looks good.

There are other areas, however, where I'm fantastic at being frugal-I can find ANYTHING for free or on Craigslist, if I have the time. So things around our house, like decorating and useful items, have been 'gotten' through very frugal means.

I will splurge on things like books, because I'm a bit impulsive about them. I shop for clothes on clearance, but every once in a while I'll buy full price. Last week I went to Anthropologie and bought a dress on clearance.... that was close to $100 dollars. So that was not frugal, even though it was a sale. ;)

We never live above our means, though, and dh has done a fabulous job stockpiling for retirement. It's only recently that he's been ok with me splurging a bit on clothes and accessories. I do feel guilty, though, when I happen to spend 'a lot' during a specific week. Even if it's there, I don't care to spend it recklessly.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

I have always been good with money and prioritizing what is most important to me. If I really, really want something I'll buy it, but I think about it first and decide if it is really worth it. I have no debt (as I had a scholarship for full-tuition scholarship for college and an assistantship for graduate school and I lived at home and worked during college so I was able to buy a new car with cash), but I do use credit cards for the cash back and pay them off at the end of each month.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2009

Compared to the main character in Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series---yes.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

With somethings yes, somethings no.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2009

I'm a very generous tipper; seven years working in a restaurant will do that to you.

But I'm cheap when it comes to some things. I always say we seldom go to Atlantic City (translation: once in 30 years) because I'm too cheap to be a good gambler; I want to GET something for my money.

So it really depends on what we're talking about.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2009

I watch what I spend much of the time, but I will splurge every now and then, particularly on my kids. For example, I bought my daughter a $300 jacket for Christmas but I would never spend that much on one item for myself. Most of the time I shop sales and stock up when prices are good.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

I think my choices balance out...probably not to be frugal necessarily, but wise.

12. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Frugul...

Home has been paid for for 15 years... I buy basically anything I want, but my wants are realistic.

I love to travel and will spend as much as needed to do so, we take about two great vacations a year.

However, my children and grandchildren are my first priorty.

I buy books and lot of books for me and for my grandchildren.

I have plenty of money for what I want and need, but I save plenty and play with what I want to.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 5, 2009

Our house is almost paid for. Would have been years ago, but we had to move 3 times in 5 years. Yes, we pinch pennies. I used coupons today at Safeway and saved $36, spent $100, and got $20 of Kohls cash. Boy, was I happy. I think I will be able to get most of my Christmas shopping done with Safeway's Kohls cash.

14. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 5, 2009

LOL

15. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 5, 2009

I am frugal about some things, and I splurge on others. However, my splurges are things like high quality clothing, which lasts longer (I've had a pair of Paige Jeans that I wore on a nearly daily basis for a year and a half that still look new). I also splurge on food...the hubs and I like having food in the house. However, newly married, we are making a plan in order to have a nice savings to play with...most things we are pretty frugal. No cable, cars are paid off, neither of us are shopaholics.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2009

I could be a lot more frugal. I don't spend unwisely or extravagently, but when I do buy things, it's NOT the store brand or the cheapest of that type. I go to the 99 Cent store occasionally to buy only certain things, NO meats there, I just really get juices. For clothing/shoes, I get good quality stuff, on sale at Nordstrom, Macy's. I like SteinMart.

17. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Nov 6, 2009

Frugal on some stuff, not on others. Our house and cars (3-plus a travel trailer) are all paid off, but we have some credit cards bills, not alot. We do shop around to get the best price on most items. Use coupons and shop at garage sales for some things. Designer clothes, shoes, purses mean nothing to me. Who cares? Our main extravagance is travel. It is what we like to do the most. Our son is in college, but we saved for that-he won't have any student loans and we are OK for retirement. Whewww!

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2009

I've been frugal since a little kid.

I've been saving money and had a savings account for as long as I could remember. I also had a CD account as a kid and would calculate how much money I would get from the interest. Ah, waiting for the months to go by....

Now, I still am, for the most part. BUT I have TWO mortgages and student loan. I rarely buy things. When I do, the money is spent on food and gas. When I had a full time teaching, about half of my income went into savings. Now that I bought my second house, I pretty much lost all of my savings as it went towards the down payment and repairs SOB. But, I'm working to build my savings back up by any means.

I wish my hubby had learned to budget. He spends and spends. TSK

19. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 6, 2009

My name is Midwestteacher and I am a tightwad. I just cannot buy clothes unless they are clearanced. And I don't mean 25% off regular price. I mean 60+%. I usually end up getting the kids shoes at full price because I refuse to skimp on shoes - they are too important. I aggravate my husband because I will see a suit that would work for school and I won't buy it because it is 20% off. That being said - I am very good at finding bargains. I can run through the boys, girls, and missus clearance racks at Penney's in 20 minutes or so.
    I am also a thrift store-aholic. I get lots of the kids clothes and lots of my school clothes at a couple of our local stores. We don't buy someone's wore out sweatshirt, but keep our eyes out for quality items that are in good shape. The kids just grow so fast that it is hard to justify $28 for a shirt. My best bargains was a couple of years ago. I was visiting my parents in a college town in late May. The local thrift store was overrun with donations because of all the college kids moving out for the summer so everything was 50% off. I got two Ann Taylor suits, a fall jacket, two Gap skirts, and three pairs of capris for about $17. The suits retailed for over $200 each. I dress nicely at school and can usually figure that an outfit costs $10-15.
    I do all of my Christmas shopping in clearance aisles and actually start the day after Christmas. I have eleven nieces and nephews, four brothers and sisters and spouses, my parents, hubby's parents, and five grandparents to buy for. I can usually get all the kids for $50. I found really nice fleece bankets at Kohls on Dec 26. I got a different color for each kid and took them to a friend. She embroidered names and put a picture on each one of something the kid was interested in - flowers, horses, rockets, etc. The regular price on the blankets was $19.99. Including embriodering, I had less than $10 each in them. I also get them lots of clothes for 75-90% off during the year. I just save it all up and ship a goodie box for Christmas to each family.
    My children are learning to be tightwads too. We buy all our books at yardsales or the library book sale. They both love to read and have tons of books. Last month, I got 3 paper boxes of books and magazines at the library book sale for $22. I could have gotten one hardback book from the bookstore for that.
    I do most of our grocery shopping. If I don't, he will come home with $40 worth of juice. It is just safer if I go by myself or with one of the kids.
    We bought a 74 acre farm in KS 7 years ago and got a 15 year loan. There are oil wells on the property from which we get a landowner's share (2.5%) and we lease the pasture 5 months a year. We had the property paid off in 5 1/2 years and now are using the oil checks and pasture rent to pay off my hubby's new work car. We bought it in June and only owe $6199 on it as of today. I will be paid off before Valentines Day.

20. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

Midwest,

What do you do with your savings?\

Canuk

21. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Nov 7, 2009

I am not a tight-wad per se, but I budget carefully. I have money to spend on the things I need and a few things I want. I am a sucker for books, so I have to watch those Scholastic Book Orders every month!! I have debt, but only because of student loans and I am paying those off as quickly as possible!

22. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2009

We bought a house in October of 2000. We did a lot of renovations ($22,000) and sold it in may of 2006. Our equity was about $40,000. We used that money to put a down payment on a larger place with more land and have been working really hard to get the principal down. That was, of course until we had to buy the new car. We also bought more land to go with the new place. There are always money issues that arise. We had to put new fence in on the farm in Kansas - $4,000. Washer died. New washer and dryer - $2,200. TV blew up - new tv - $1,000. DH company told him they were doing away with company cars and just paying so much a month for him to maintain his own car. Had to buy a car within certain parameters and our existing vehicles didn't qualify - $1,600 in tags and taxes, $4,000 down payment, and extra payments to get the car paid off since July. We paid off the tractor and the van early and now are focusing on the car. After the car - the truck. when the truck is paid for the land will be next and that will leave us with nothing but the house payment.
    We have both been really trying to hit our retirements hard. I will not collect SS when I retire because of the retirement system in my state (thank goodness) and he has a couple of 401ks that he has been contributing to.