Do you consider 4th graders little kids?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Dec 2, 2012.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

Or fifth? I had a debate with a parent; she thinks they are little kids and should be treated little kids; I think they are developing older intermediate students who should be held accountable for their actions. What do you think?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2012

I look back to when I was eighteen and nineteen and think I was a child! But being a child doesn't mean you aren't to be held accountable.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 2, 2012

I agree with you; I think they're in between, and definitely should not be treated like little kids. Especially 5th graders.

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 2, 2012

Well, I teach 1st grade so they don't seem like little kids to me...

But I have worked with 4th and 5th graders, and I don't think they're little kids. I agree with you. They should be learning responsibility at that stage and should definitely be held accountable for their actions.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 2, 2012

I think it's probably not helpful to put them in an "all or nothing" category in terms of development. As kids get older, they can be held increasingly accountable, but exactly how they're held accountable, and for what, would depend on not only the age of the kids, but those specific kids. So, they aren't either "little kids" or "grown," and I don't know of any age that would benefit from categorizing like that.

7. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Dec 2, 2012

It really depends on the class and the student. If they're immature fourth graders, an immature student, I would agree with the parent. If they're on par and/or mature class, I agree with the OP. I think third grade is really transitional year in our current educational system. I think it's kind of when, for lack of a better word and time, they're no longer "babies". They do standardized testing and are given more responsbility. I think it's a hormonal thing, too. I've noticed 3-7/8th grade is really a moody time for most minors where they really try to push limits.

8. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

I still think if 10th grade (yr 11 to us) as little kids!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

I don't treat them like little kids-they are able to be responsible and think about their own actions.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2012

I thought as my 12th graders as kids!

And they're all accountable for their actions!

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 2, 2012

5th graders are kids-regardless of whether they are "little" or "big".
    All kids should be held accountable for their actions. Age appropriate accountability from teachers should begin when a child enters a school setting. I expect my 5th graders to be accountable for what an 11 year old child should be accountable for.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2012

I think it depends on what you mean by little kids. Does that mean they shouldn't be held accountable for things? Or that they can't do certain things because they are "little" kids.

When you look at the spectrum of life 4th & 5th graders are still kids, less so then younger kids, but then again your still a kids when you're 16, 17 years of age.

Does it mean that they are so little that they shouldn't be held accountable? No. I expect that my kinders are responsible for their actions and their things. Yes, they are going to make mistakes and yes there should be consequences for their mistakes, but the consequences should be age appropriate.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2012

I teach 5th grade. They are very different than 2nd graders, and very different than 8th graders. Still children, but not "little kids". They are old enough to be held accountable and know right from wrong. I have no difficulty in giving a consequence to a 5th grader if he/she purposely breaks rules.

Basically look at them about the same as you would 6th graders.

14. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Dec 2, 2012

I agree, they're accountable.

In fact, I can't stand it when people refer to high schoolers as "the kids." They're not kids. When society keeps calling them "kids," they adopt the mentality of "kids." It gives them a built-in excuse for everything ("But I'm just a kid!"). That may be part of the reason why the maturity level continues to drop. At 16-18, they can drive, have to register for the military, can sue and be sued, etc. ......they're NOT kids.

:up:

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 2, 2012

4th graders are 9 and 10 years old. They're still kids. This is the best age to take them to DisneyLand:) I love this age group.

Yes, they can be accountable; however, to me they are still kids.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2012

To me, kids are kids, and they should ALL be accountable in some degree. Every age has things for which they should be accountable.

17. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

My own kids are 30 and 22 respectivly, they are still 'the kids'!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 3, 2012

I don't think of 4th graders as "little" kids. They're more consdiered pre-teens to me (ages 9-12).

19. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Dec 3, 2012

Not little kids, but definitely still kids. All kids should be held accountable to an extent.

20. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Dec 3, 2012

I agree with what a lot of others said, they are somewhere in between and trying to categorize them as one or the other is going to hurt them more than they help. I tend to set my expectations based on the particular child's developmental level. With 4th and 5th graders, I find this often means holding them accountable for their own behaviors but keeping in mind that they are still growing, learning, and making mistakes.

21. Math

Math Cohort

Dec 3, 2012

:thumb:

22. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 3, 2012

A decent percentage of 4th graders still believe in Santa at my school.

So yeah, they're kids.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 3, 2012

imo in high school, they should be referred to as minors, not kids.

24. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 4, 2012

I teach first grade and honestly the only time I treat them like "little kids" (coddle/baby) is when they need comforting (ie: someone falls and hurts themselves, a death in the family, feelings get hurt or maybe parents going through a divorce/separation.

Aside from that, I have high expectations that have earned me a few parent protests of "but they're little kids!" Stuff like -

1. No name on a paper = Sad Face (zero percent, or a 50% if I feel like being nice and the person identifies their paper)

2. Forgot to turn in your homework? -10 pts per day it's late

3. Left something in your locker? Color change (i do this on a case by case basis. If it's something special, like show and tell then I understand they might forget since they don't bring it in everyday. Same for first or second time offenders. But if it's a habit, then yes, color change!)

4. EVERYONE has to try, even if it's "too hard". We have peer tutors or Ms. Catz will pull you to the small group table.