Do You Collect Anything?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jan 3, 2009.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

Do any of you have any special collections?

I collect miniature decorative teapots and Gingerbread Men (stuffed toys). In fact, mom found an adorable Gingerbread teapot for me! I also enjoy getting the TY Christmas holiday teddy each year. :)

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Jan 3, 2009

I collect watches... super fun hobby because you can wear your collection around =D

4. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

I used to collect angels. I do collect Santa Claus statues--the old world kind.

Now I just collect dust and papers that need to be graded. :)

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

I use to collect the barbies that looked like the Disney characters-the really nice ones. I had over 54 at one time. I sold some on ebay, and the rest are in the basement, waiting for a daughter to play with them. I'll let her take them out of the boxes-I don't get uptight about that stuff.

Then recently I collected kids' books. I'd say I have most of the major series covered-I think I'm over 4,000 books right now. But I'm selling those off.

I love pink flamingos. I want to collect an ornament of them each year, but dh is most uncooperative. So I only have one, and I had to buy him.

As I look around the room, it would seem we collect laptops. We have four on our coffee table, and two more in the spare room. There are only two of us in this family, so that's a bit stupid. We need to do something about that...

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 3, 2009

According to Gardner's Multiple Intelligence Theory naturalists tend to have multiple collections.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 3, 2009

As a child, I collected porcelain dolls & later, got into crystal figurines. I like the crystal branda Swarovski, Baccarat, & Waterford.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

first edition children's books
    old family photographs and documents (my family!)
    cats (apparently)
    dust
    books by certain authors
    computer cables, cords, telephone wires, components
    a collection of syrupy 25-year-old love letters from an old boyfriend

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

You're so awesome, shouldbe. I never thought about first editions. Maybe that's what I'll focus on, as I still love the genre but have no need for 100 Junie B. Jones books.

10. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jan 3, 2009

Should be - glad i looked at your post. I didnt think of soe of those.

My list:
    stuffed toys
    books (in general)
    books by certain authors
    kitchen cannisters - this is a small collection as they take up a lot of room - but i still have way more than I can use at one time
    buttons
    material - ostensibly for quilting and sewing projects, but again, way more than i need or can use
    thimbles - as souvenirs of places i have visited

Originally i thought i didnt collect anything!

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I used to collect Mary Moo Moo's. They are harder to fine now which is good because I have enough!

Antique books, particularly school books
    Spoons when I travel
    Waterglobes when I travel

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2009

I collect shot glasses from places I've been (usually vacation spots). I havn't gotten any new ones recently but I used to collect fancy candles. Some are in cool shapes or in glasses to look like cocktails,etc. When I had more time on my hands I used to make my own.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2009

I have a nice collection of snowmen that comes out at Christmas time.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 3, 2009

I've slowed down, but I collect

Princess Bride stuff (this is a recent thing)
    Letterpress letters (they look cool on a shelf)
    Old postcards...I love the ones with writing on them
    Old photos....my BF thinks it's creepy, but I love having a picture of someone who I don't know who was once loved. I think it's cool!
    Songbird figurines
    Anything to do with trees/leaves
    Pens and mechanical pencils

15. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 3, 2009

I must be a naturalist as I have many collections. I don't really add to them anymore but can't part with them either.
    My collections:
    Longaberger baskets
    Pewter, silver and copper serving pieces
    Steins
    Salt glazed pottery
    Porcelan Dolls
    Books by southern authors.

16. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jan 3, 2009

I collect pashminas. I have around 20. I try to get one from every place that I visit too. So far I have (Alaska, Ireland, Paris, Florence, Venice, Florida, Caribbean).

This is a new thing... I collect local art from places I visit. I started this when I went to Florence, Italy in 2007. This past summer I bought a watercolor painting of Megan's Bay in St. Thomas.

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 3, 2009

Old World Christmas ornaments. Especially the discontinued Inside Art ones. I broke one today. :(

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2009

I also collect Mary's Moo Moos!! They are adorable!! It's true you can't find them easily. We had a Hallmark store close many years ago, and I bought birthday Moos for Jeannie, for ages 1-10. I've got two more to give her!;)

19. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

I collect/save Christmas cards. I just can't seem to throw away cards that people give or send to me. I do reuse them though. I make them into Christmas tags for presents. I just purchased and hung on my wall 3 floating frames (two pieces of glass with a wood frame around them) and I currently have some of my favorite cards displayed in them.

20. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I collect Mary's Moo Moos as well. I have my school related ones at work, then I rotate by season. I have lots of Christmas ones, and the whole Thanksgiving set, and quite a few summer/fall ones. I even had the wedding couple on my wedding cake!

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 3, 2009

My husband is a shot glass collector too. We don't have a good way to display them without looking like a bar.

22. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

I collect miniature shoes

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 3, 2009

Well, mine on the corner shelf in my china cabinet. You can't really see them unless you look closely. I didn't know where else to put them.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 3, 2009

I collect miniature tea-sets (I especially like the Precious Moments ones), but I haven't gotten any in a while. Also, I have a huge collection of anything having to do with Laura Ingalls Wilder. I used to collect Beanie Babies when they were big, but I gave most of those away a couple of years ago.

25. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

I collected cows for awhile now the only things I collect are:

rubber ducks and frogs for in my classroom.
    dust at my house

26. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 3, 2009

i collect nativity sets - I have about 50 including ornaments. I have fun looking for unique ones when I travel!

I also collect lobsters - very odd, I realize, but I have a fascination with lobsters. (I don't eat them though!!) My husband has even consented to let me decorate our guest bathroom as a lobster bathroom - it's really cute!!

27. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I collect bundt pans. I have all sorts, but my favorites are my castle and my stadium. :)

28. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

Woah, you're really freaking me out! Not only do we share a profession, a first name, but now . . . I collect Nativitys also. I've got maybe 15. I've never met anyone else who does.

I also collect sea/ocean related art and figurines (seashells, mermaids, fish), beads and jewelry (I make it), and general craft supplies. As I child, I collected Barbies, porcelain dolls, and unicorn and cat figurines, but am slowly decreasing my collections.

29. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 3, 2009

I collect those snoopy comics where he is sitting on top of the dog house typing away because I am an aspiring writer myself and find them inspiring.

I also used to collect rocks when I was a kid.

30. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Jan 3, 2009

Me, too! I love Christmas cards with Santa. I have some very old ones that I have framed. I spent time this afternoon out shopping and looking through all the boxed Christmas cards that are on clearance looking for those I couldn't live without. I use them as gift tags, too.

31. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

Well!
    Whether I like it or not, I COLLECT DUST!:D
    Seriously, I collect DOGS! I've got dog figurines everywhere AND my ART on my walls in CA were DOGS; playing golf, playing cards, playing pool, playing in a band, etc. When we got to the new house, hubby told me that my ARTWORK was not going up in the FRONT room SO I have them in one of the extra bedrooms, along with my collection of Stuffed dogs.
    I also collect coins from different countries.
    I have collected ARTWORK (cool ones only) that my students have given me. I can pretty much remember the child's face, when I see their name on their work. (It's a cool brain exercise & it's fun to recall!:cool:) It's relaxing for me to look at my collections. It takes my mind away from the hustle and bustle of life. I know that is why I collect the above. :thumb:, even though it's JUNK, to some people.
    Rebel1

32. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jan 3, 2009

You just made me realize that I forgot about my nativities. I have about 10 different ones.

33. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

I collected rocks when I was a kid... now I teach earth science.
    I also have a collection of old medicine bottles and political campaign buttons.

34. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jan 3, 2009

I also collect a keepsake from every place I've traveled to, but I collect pins (like a little king salmon from Alaska, etc.) that I fasten on a canvas shopping bag I always take along. I haven't traveled as extensively as cMcD has (I'm envious!), but perhaps one day I'll get to all these lovely places.

35. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jan 3, 2009

I save ticket stubs from concerts I see. I have them from the 80's up until now! I have two frames full and it's amazing to see them all together. I also collect posters from National parks we've visited and have them framed in my living room. I have tons of photos I've taken in albums, boxes and on cd's and also framed and displayed in huge unorganized groups all over the place. I also love books, all kinds, and have a huge collection of books for early childhood. I like so many different things owls, gingerbread men, snowmen, Disney, Jim Shore, it's always been hard for me to decide on one thing to collect.

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

I collect:

Math books...one can never have too many, and I enjoy reading different approaches to different topics, particulary in applied mathematics.

Tiggers...and other random winnie the pooh stuff, but I have a special fondness for tiggers. My collection would be bigger, buy my kids have raided it a few times.

One of my kids collects elephants. He has at least 50 stuffed elephants, and his half of the room looks like the elephant upsurped the lion as the king of the jungle. If they make it elephant themed, he's probably got it.

37. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

I'm realizing I must be the most boring person alive. I don't think I collect anything. I used to have stuffed animals, but I wouldn't say I collected them. Wow, that's depressing :)

38. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

uhhhh, I collect math books, and you say YOU'RE boring????

39. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2009

HA! Okay, I'm not "math-book-collecting" boring :D But I should collect something. I guess I have things from my classroom last year. A canvas my kids signed, etc. The school I teach at was destroyed, so I kept a few things to remember my first classroom.

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 4, 2009

There you go...you collect personal memorabilla :)

41. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

I collect thimbles on my travels.
    I also collect the S'mores ornaments. I think I have about 10 of these. The first one I got from a student (or rather his family) years ago. It is two bit marshmallows stacked with arms and legs ice skating. The skates are graham and chocolate. I also found a dog like that. Since then all the S'mores look like two stacked marshmallows stacked on a cracker & chocolate base almost like snowmen. I love my skater best.
    I don't have every thing imaginable, but I guess you could say I have a good collection of HP stuff. I have all of the books, some of them first editions, a couple of hints/prediction books, the two textbooks (Quiddich Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts), book ends, and a few ornaments. I really want to get the Tales of Beadle the Bard that is out now.