Do You Collect Anything?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

Do any of you collect anything & if so, what? :)

As a child, I collected porcelain dolls & as a pre-teen/teen, I got into collecting crystal figurines & porcelain figurines. I love the crystal brands Swarovski, Waterford, & Baccarat. I admit, I haven't bought a piece in a long time though. :(

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2009

DOGS and DUST!
    You should have seen my house in CA! I had in my living room paintings/pictures of DOGs playing pool, dogs playing golf, dogs in a band, dogs playing cards, and dog figurines all over in the entrance! When we moved into our new house in TX, hubby told me, "You can't have your ghetto DOGs in this one!" (How rude!:() I've got my dog figurines in the entrance,:D but my paintings are in the guest room.
    Rebel1

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 28, 2009

I'm not actualy an avid collector of anything, but I have some smaller collections.

* books by certain authors
    * Charming Tails figures
    * pig figurines--real-looking ones, not "cartoony" ones
    * Vera Bradley items in the classic green pattern
    * Paula Vaughn cross-stitch patterns
    * seashells from beach vacations
    * old grammar and literature books

I also have quite a few antiques. Many have ties to my family, but sometimes pick things up at sales or antique stores. I have my grandmother's teapot collection, handmade quits from both grandmothers and my mom, and my grandmother's Coca-Cola stuff and china that her brother brought back from Japan after WWII.

Maybe I'm more of a pack rat.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

I collect books by certain authors, as a teen I collected Coca-cola bears that came out around Christmas, and pens.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Dec 28, 2009

Does debt count? ha

I used to collect Lisa Frank stuff as a kid. Nothing really now.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2009

Thorens Anri Swiss Music Boxes and cuckoo clocks

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2009

:lol: st

9. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

When I was younger I collected porcelain dolls and the Holiday Barbies, now I collect rubber ducks and rubber duck look-a-likes.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2009

scienceteach82, yes, that's one collection I'd like to end too!

nklauste, then you're probably loving those different colored metallic rubber ducks that Bath & BodyWorks carries. They're currently not on their website anymore, but I've seen them in the store in vibrant metallic fuschia, turquoise, etc., (but they were still made of sqeezable rubber).

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

Growing up, I collected the Barbies that looked like Disney characters. I had about 55 of them before I stopped. My parents put a shelf around the top of my room for them, but I still played with a few. This was back when you could get really beautiful quality ones for $25-30, not the really cheap or really expensive ones you have to choose from now.

Now I love owls, but I don't have very many of them. I have two antique-y ones on my mantle, and three plush ones my artist friend made on our wall shelf. I'd love to get a cookie jar, wall art, etc. But dh isn't so into them.

12. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

OMG! I remember her stickers. :wub::lol::whistle:

I'm a strange person. If I like it, I love it and want a million of it. If I don't like it, I hate and don't want any.

I collect
    Jay Strongwater (mainly ornaments)
    Tea pots and teacups
    Make up brushes (It started as a hygene thing. Then, I started like certain brands and colors.)
    Uggs (they're ugly, but so comfy :wub:)

13. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 28, 2009

In 4th grade our teacher brought someone in and we all started a stamp collector. It was really cool and I was really into it for a couple years....I got 2 whole books collected. I still have it...somewhere..

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 28, 2009

I collect Simpsons stuff and pandas. Lots and lots of pandas... :)

15. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Dec 28, 2009

I used to collect cows. Now its:
    frogs
    snow globes
    rubber ducks

16. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Dec 28, 2009

After cleaning underneath my bed today, I think that I am collecting dust bunny colonies! Ha!

Anyway, I have recently started collecting Smore ornaments and Willow Tree figures

17. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Dec 28, 2009

I collect antique depression glassware. I love estate sales and I sometimes go to yard sales because some sellers at yard sales just don't recognize antique depression glassware.

18. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 28, 2009

Do broken toys count? I have way too many of those, as the boys are rough on toys :lol:

I used to collect Tigger (from Winnie the Pooh) stuff, but I left that behind in Miami, and I don't have enough space here, so I don't really collect anything any more.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 29, 2009

I didn't start out trying to collect angels but got so many from students and friends that I now have quite a large collection.

I buy tea cups and saucers as well as antique teapots. But that collection is on purpose.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 29, 2009

I forgot about my collection of trophies that I won in high school- a little over five hundred. They are on the second floor of my Dad's office collecting dust and aren't really important to me now but I cherished them during my high school years.

21. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

I have collected cups, from different places I went on holidays.
    Actually, I do not pay much attention to them nowadays...
    I used to love the collection when I was a teen.

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 29, 2009

I collect Pug themed items and shot glasses. I even have a shot glass with a little pug face on it LOL

23. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I collect bundt pans. I love the different designs and picking the perfect one for baking birthday cakes! But I only collect the heavy metal ones. Call me old fashioned, but the silicone ones make me nervous!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

I have lots of snowmen.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2009

I collect campaign buttons. I have them from as far back as the 1800's. Also, old milk bottles. A friend of my DH buys me a snowbaby every year so I guess I collect them too.

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 29, 2009

I collect books by certain authors/or a particular series by a certain author.
    I have also collected in the past: snowmen, Precious Moments, cows and postcards.
    Right now I collect YARN-lots and lots of yarn. I can't even bear to part with little bits left over from a project...
    I am contemplating collecting nutcrackers. Not sure my husband would be thrilled about that!

27. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

When I was a child and young teen, I collected postcards and angels. The angels come out at Christmas to decorate the mantel. Although I don't actively seek them out anymore, I do buy new ones from time to time.

28. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2009

I have a spoon collection which I have had since I was probably 8. Every time I go on a trip somewhere I get a new one. I also like to get snow globes when I am on vacation - the cheesy plastic ones, and not the nice ones. lol.

I used to collect Mary Moo Moos but now I try to only get the Christmas ones. I like cows, but I am not into the country look, so alot of things I have don't really go with my decor.

I also collect antique books, particularly school books.

29. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2009

-Miniature tea sets (I especially love the Precious Moments ones!)
    -Noah's Ark stuff
    -Laura Ingalls Wilder memorabilia (I have all of the Ashton Drake dolls, books by and about her and different things from when I visited a couple of her houses)
    -President cards

30. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2009

I love collecting anything related to one room schoolhouses. I also love old schoolbooks.

31. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 29, 2009

I have too many collections! I collect pewter items, steins, salt glazed pottery, Longaberger baskets, books by southern authors, Boyd's Bears, St. Nicks, Christmas books....

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

Ima- I have a pig collection as well....they reside in my kitchen (where else would pigs be?) My latest addition is a pig salsa bowl from my sister for Christmas:
    http://www.delight.com/Pomaireware-SalsaCondiment-Serving-Dish

33. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 29, 2009

34. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 29, 2009

I have about 10 of the Bath and Body Works ducks! I even have one from there that has a scarf and earmuffs on. My mom has banned me from buying the ducks when I go there now, she says I have too many (I will post a pic of my duck stuff once I get the rest of the ducks out of the dishwasher)!

35. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 29, 2009

I collect books and stationery. I liked the old Lisa Frank stationery but not the new stuff. I like Sanrio a lot.

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2009

37. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2009

Jem, that's so funny because I want to do my office in my new house with owls. I don't know where that came from - it is a new obsession. I want to do an orange and green palette with owls. Maybe it is because they are wise. lol.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2009

I remember when those beanie babies used to be popular. I'm sure many people collected them. (Not me, didn't even have 1).

OK! :)

39. royalfamily

royalfamily Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

I collect metal crosses that I hang on one wall.
    I also collect Christmas ornaments from the different places we visit on vacation.

40. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Dec 30, 2009

I grew up collecting pigs - they all still "live" in my bedroom at my parent's house. (even though I haven't lived there for almost 14 years!) My mom said if I took them all the room would be too empty, so they'll just stay there! :)

Now, I collect nativity scenes/sets (I have about 55) and lobsters. Lobsters are hard to find in Oregon, which makes the collection that much more fun! :) Our guest bathroom is decorated with my lobster collection!

41. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Dec 30, 2009

Books. All kinds of books. I rarely buy one used, and rarely buy at all. I have a bookcase filled with books I haven't read yet. I read them, then donate them.

Movies. I cannot leave the library without at least 5 movies. I have at least 350-400 in my own library.

Bumble, from Rudolph. It's a small collection for now, but he is trickier to find than the other characters.

And earrings. I need more like I need another hole in the head, but I still buy them! And people still buy them for me! I could probably go 4 months and wear a different pair each day, maybe longer!