Do you check your work email on the weekend?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Aug 26, 2017.

?

Do you check your work email on the weekend?

1. Yes, often

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No, never

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Not usually, but every once in a while

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. I don't have the option - I can't check it outside of school due to our system

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

I do... but I'm going to try not doing it, and I removed my school account from my phone today. How about you?

Backroads and fns4565 like this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2017

Mine comes to my phone, so I see it right away. I usually don't choose to act on it on the weekends.

MissScrimmage and fns4565 like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2017

I do, but that's just my style/personality. Parents know and respect that while I might respond pretty quickly on the weekend (or, in the case of Meet & Greet this week followed by a work day and 3-day weekend, one of those days), that it might not be until the next school day. I enjoy the freedom in choosing to respond or to wait...or even to think about how I will respond later on.

bella84 and fns4565 like this.
  5. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Aug 26, 2017

I do. I pretty much live on it but I do not respond to email from parents/ students on the weekend. I do tend to respond to emails from colleagues as they are often emailing me for support with something that is bothering them enough that they wrote the email (I co-teach) and it tends to lead to better outcomes if I email to reassure them or answer their question then to leave them brewing for the weekend. I also prefer to have the time to think about things as they come into my mailbox. I cannot stand coming in on Monday to 59 emails.

bella84, Backroads and fns4565 like this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 26, 2017

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    fns4565 likes this.
  7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 26, 2017

I try not to until Sunday, but often I do end up looking. Even if I check, I don't respond to anything until Sunday. I don't want to set up the expectation that I'm available for work things all weekend.

agdamity likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2017

My P does email out the weekly memo for the upcoming week on Saturday morning; I appreciate the heads-up for the week ahead. Most of the administrators are very aware that they can't ask us to work outside of our regular hours, so they don't expect responses to anything over the weekend or in the evenings.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 26, 2017

I check once on Sunday evening, but I only respond to colleagues. I used to check much more frequently, but the last few years I've had a handful of parents who were difficult to manage, and I've had to step back and reevaluate my availability. It has helped my sanity immensely to only check once on the weekends.

otterpop likes this.
  10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 26, 2017

I'm getting emails while we are evacuated for a hurricane. I am not responding!

agdamity and otterpop like this.
  11. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Aug 26, 2017

I check it, but I do not always choose to respond over the weekend. Most things can wait until Monday morning.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 26, 2017

Mine is on my iPad, so it checks it with the rest of my mail. I don't always reply, though.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2017

I can't check because of our system, and I wish I could. More a preference to know what is waiting for me come Monday. As another poster said, it is just my nature.

I wouldn't reply for the most part, but I have been known to forget about special days for the kids where you are supposed to wear certain colors, etc. Sometimes the emails for that stuff goes out closer to 4:30 even though our contract says we leave at 3:30. We are supposed to participate, but apparently it's not important enough to make sure that the remainder gets to us before we leave. Go figure. Hard to change clothes, etc, once you are there on day in question.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  14. rpan

rpan Cohort

Aug 27, 2017

I choose not to check. I hate getting negative emails from difficult parents over the evenings or weekends and not being able to respond. (I don't respond to negative emails by email, I'd rather call) Then I stew over the email all night or weekend and I just don't relax. So I choose blissful ignorance for sanity sake.

2ndTimeAround and otterpop like this.
  15. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 27, 2017

I do end up checking. I did uninstall our mail app on my cell. I ended up putting it back on because work friends would text, "Did you see the email from ______?" Then, I have to log-in through the website.

It's odd, but we don't even get as many emails as we used to. Teachers at my school tend to text or call. It's odd, but we didn't get a whole lot of parent emails these past few years. I guess parents now can refer to our websites, so they have no real reason to contact teachers. We do get a lot from admin., but again, not like we used to. My district doesn't email student information anymore. I think everything is on a "need to know" basis. Plus, they don't want the emails to come up in court cases if the full name is used. (This means they tell us nothing!) They are so overwhelmed that they don't have time to really sit in from of a computer, so if they do email, it is short because it was sent from a cell phone.

I usually respond right away to an email, so I don't forget.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2017

This.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2017

Ditto. Sunday evenings usually. I like to get ahead of the game. I sometimes even draft the response email and wait until morning to send it. It frees my Monday mornings to defend any other chaos that could ruin my start to the week.

18. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

I very rarely do. Right now I am because people are sending stuff that I need to know about (e.g., I had to go in for a mentor meeting because I'm a mentor), but not once school starts. While there are a few exceptions throughout the year, I am becoming very work is at work, home is at home. When I sign out at work, I'm done until I sign back in. This school in particular just expects too much and I'm done. I also do better when I focus on the present, which is hard for me!

19. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 27, 2017

Rarely do I check my school e-mail from home. Hardly get emails during the week as well! I didn't even bring papers home to grade! ;)

Backroads likes this.
  20. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

I suppose my proper answer is I'm aware of email, but I don't necessarily read it. I do have my email on my phone and I'm leaving it there because Tech Guy decided it would be really fun to add another verification step to our Google accounts so now it just makes my life less hard to leave my school Google account on my phone. So I am vaguely aware of school emails coming in on weekends/after hours, but I have to say I'm fairly well compartmentalized in that regard--my mind reads "school email, in lack of such-n-such factors this isn't important until Monday."

bella84 likes this.
  21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

I check mine when I check all of the email on my phone, but I always know that I can just do one quick swipe if I want to turn off school email on my phone. I don't respond to most parent emails on weekends, but I'll respond to staff more frequently, if I'm not busy. I don't respond to any work emails outside of work hours if I am in the middle of something. It's my choice as to when I do it. I tried not having work email on my phone before, but I always felt like I was missing out on important or interesting info and not hearing about it until it was too late (you know... those emails like, "I have a free brand new rug in my classrooom! Who wants it??").

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2017

So true! Last year, I got a nice chart stand, some paint, and some storage bins from colleagues because I was quick to respond!

23. Sab

Sab Companion

Aug 27, 2017

I have been because I do so much work on my district laptop over the weekend, and it goes to that. However, I really like not getting work email along with my personal email. I've never logged into work email on my personal laptop or phone or set up any mail forwarding because I feel like seeing that when I'm not working would stress me out way too much.

24. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

It comes to my phone. Most questions can wait. I do answer ones from my students about any assignment that's due though. I encourage them to email with questions. I'd rather respond to a couple quick emails than deal with assignments not being done or being done incorrectly.

Backroads likes this.
  25. TLCTimFL

TLCTimFL New Member

Aug 27, 2017

Very very seldom. The only time I do is when I'm looking for something. My school wants my cell phone number and also wants me to install a PBIS app to use in school. I refuse both until they issue me a cell phone or offer to pay my bill. I give them my landline number that neither my wife or I answer. I refuse to put the email on my phone.

26. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

My school has my cell phone number because it's my only phone, but they don't use it for anything. I imagine they'd call if I didn't show up for work or something, but it's just a contact number.

We had a whole PD last year about how we all needed to be using a particular app in our classrooms. I was super irritated, because at the time I didn't have a phone that could download the app, and it felt like that would be held against me because they were really, really pressing us to use it in order to get full points in the "uses technology to engage all students" section of our evaluations. I agree, if the school wants all teachers using an app, they need to be providing devices to run the app.

Backroads and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  27. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 27, 2017

Only if I'm expecting a reply from somebody!

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 27, 2017

It comes straight to my phone along with my personal email. I have a distinct message tone attached to my work email, so I always know when it's work related--even without looking.

I sometimes miss the days when none of us had smartphones and we weren't oh-so-connected to our devices.

bella84 likes this.
  29. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 27, 2017

I do, but I don't want to. Because if I have a bad/negative email it will eat away at me all weekend. But at the same time, I hate HATE having a zillion unread emails. Sometimes I wonder why I make myself so accessible. At any other job you don't get answers on the weekend. SO I am a work in progress.

bella84 likes this.
  30. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 27, 2017

I check mine, often. But I was checking it too often. My email is web based. I deleted my account from the gmail app and have to sign in through safari now to check it. Having to touch/type my password can be cumbersome so often I get lazy and don't bother. That helps keep me sane.

Now, I check it when I want to. If I have any reason to suspect there is bad news waiting in my account, I won't check until Monday morning. Not worth the rise in blood pressure.

31. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Aug 27, 2017

I do. I teach secondary, and I get a lot of emails from students asking about extra help...ways to complete the assignments etc etc. I try to provide that feedback in a timely manner.

32. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 27, 2017

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Backroads likes this.
  33. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 28, 2017

I may check it if I turn on my laptop. I can't access it on my phone. I won't reply until Monday unless I want to. Most times I don't.

34. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Aug 28, 2017

I check it on Sunday evening only. Our principal tends to send out instructions and other reminders on Sunday afternoons so by checking Sunday evening I'm not surprised with anything on Monday morning. If it's from anybody other than an administrator I ignore it.

35. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 28, 2017

Ours is tied in with gmail but with security settings it wants me to agree to this and that and then they can clear my phone of whatever whenever?! I don't think so. My personal photos are on my phone.

36. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 28, 2017

I'll start checking my emails on weekends and holidays when Indiana brings back tiered pay schedules.

37. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Aug 28, 2017

I have always had it on my phone, but my goal for myself this year is to limit checking my school email outside of school and limit phone time in general.

38. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 30, 2017

No, Principal sends us Tigergrams , but it's info I'm already aware of . She spends her Saturdays at our school checking our classrooms and bulletin boards, being a general nuisance. She'll send an e-mail "Student work not updated. l usually reply " I'll get to it" then the aide do it.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  39. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Aug 31, 2017

I'm sorry, but don't you realize that you should be working Saturday, too? :eek: Come on! What are they (not) paying you for?

How about those emails sent in the middle of the night you need to respond to before work—while you are asleep, I suppose? I know of administrators using the email system that way to "prove" teachers are not effectively communicating.

40. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 1, 2017

I like receiving email notifications on my phone during the day. It makes it easier to keep up with it. When I pack up to leave each evening, I turn off my email notifications. I am not saying I never check it while away from work, but turning off the notifications gives me the option.

41. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Sep 1, 2017

It comes to my phone so I usually end up looking at it, but don't often reply (unless it's something pressing)--- I don't want anyone getting use to me replying over the weekends.