Do you check and reply to email when on break?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by midwestteacher, Mar 21, 2011.

1. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

We were on break last week. A parent emailed on Thursday and then called this morning, very angry that her email was not dealt with last week.
    #1 We were on break last week. Not every teacher has internet access at home.
    #2 Our school email was not working last Wednesday through this Monday.

I personally think this parent was way out of line to expect a teacher to check school email and deal with an issue while on break.

What do you think?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I sometimes check, but shouldn't be expected to. I tell parents on back to school night that I check on school days in the morning, at lunch and maybe at the end of the day.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 21, 2011

I don't even know how to get to my school e-mail from anything other than a school computer, and I have no plans to find out how. I check it 3-5 times per day at school, to me that is plenty.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I don't think that you can be expected to check or respond to email over a break or weekend. I check it and might respond, but don't count on it.

6. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

I tried to check my email over break, but it wasn't working. I could see that I had an email, but couldn't open it. I have a life and don't intend to spend my time out of school dealing with school issues. She knew we were on break, her kid was home.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I didn't check my email over break, and I don't think we should expected to either. I do check it often throughout the day though.

8. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2011

The only time I've ever checked during a break/weekend is if they had a project/exam review they were supposed to be working on. And even then, I let them know what times I'll check my email - so that they know to email me before that point.

Other than that? Nope. I check my email throughout the day. Home time = my time.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2011

I do maybe the 1st day or two of a break, but definitely not all throughout. No one should be expected to.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I sometimes check but never respond to emails in the evenings, on weekends, or over breaks. I'm not on contract during those times, so I don't feel any sort of obligation to make myself available to parents or supervising administrators. I think that this parent was out of line for getting upset.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I agree, absolutely.

I check every day-- when I'm home.

But I won't be checking from Mystic during Easter, or from Lake George over the summer.

Anything incredibly urgent should be directed to administration.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2011

I do sometimes check mine just because I have internet at home, and it automatically comes to my iPod. Sometimes I'll reply, but not always. I do it because I don't mind doing it, not because I feel obligated to do it.

Sometimes I'll just reply to one thing and not another. Sometimes PITA emails will wait until contract time.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2011

I check my email nearly if not every single day for multiple reasons. But I am not expected to nor should I be by students, parents, or other educators. This parent had no "right" to be annoyed.

14. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Mar 21, 2011

You are not obligated to respond.

I have the ability to check. However, I do not respond while at home, simply because the people who expect an immediate response will be angry when I don't have time to check/answer. I have one in my box as we speak. :) (Can I please explain this quarter's grade that was a 98, but is now a 96? Seriously????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, I digress.:cool:) I would simply act like I didn't know about their anger and respond kindly to the email. I do keep an auto responder on at ALL times that says, a basic, Sorry I'm not at the desk, will get back asap. This allows me to say, I ALWAYS respond :) immediately.:woot:

15. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

I used to check my email at home, but I stopped because the emails would get me all worked up and then I'd be in a bad mood the rest of the night.

Now I just wait until I get to work. What in the world could be so important that it can't wait until tomorrow??

16. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

I check my emails during breaks, but as the other poster said, I don't believe it should be an expectation. It's bad enough that the teachers in my district have to lug so much home already in order to meet the two grades for every subject every week (doesn't sound like much, but we have about A LOT of categories including social skills, art, science, social studies, math, reading, writing, work habits, health and a few others i can't think of off the top of my head), so to expect me to reply to emails on MY time.

Sorry, but no.

17. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2011

yep - but it should not be expected.

18. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 21, 2011

I check mine several times a day, including during evenings/weekends/breaks, but I don't ususally respond except for during contract hours.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2011

I agree with everyone else. My time is just that, my time.
    I'm curious, though. What was so important that your vacation was supposed to be interrupted? I understand that our children still think they are the center of their universe, but I would think the parents might realize that there are a few other people in this world than them.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

I check mine, but rarely respond from home. I almost never communicate with parents via email, so most of my messages are from staff or administration.

When I was off on my break last week, I checked my school email several times a day--my Special Ed partner is pregnant and due any day and she promised to have her husband email me if there was any "early news".

21. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Mar 21, 2011

I used to check from home, but then (like somebody mentioned above) found myself getting too stressed out, even if I waited till the next day to respond.

So now, I don't even let myself look at my inbox, unless I know a colleague/administrator might be trying to get in touch about an issue.

22. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 21, 2011

I do check, especially if I have a test the next day. Students know they can email me if they have any last minute questions. they also know that I may or may not check my email every night. So email with the hope that I'll answer, but don't expect an answer.

I had a parent do something similar last year. I flat out told him that I was on break the previous week, just like his son was, and I took full advantage of my time off.

23. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 21, 2011

Wow-I wish parents would email me! They don't even check their students' grades on the computer.

24. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Mar 21, 2011

I know that I am the only one out of the 5 teachers in my little building that does check. No one is expected to, I do only so I don't have 50 messages when I get back.

25. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2011

By the way, I'm expecting (ok,hoping) that admin backed the teacher up on this....:eek:hmy:

26. holliday

holliday Comrade

Mar 21, 2011

I'll admit to being somewhat of a compulsive email-checker, but I don't feel obligated to respond when I'm on break. We are supposed to get back to parent contacts within 24 hours, but again, not necessarily while on break.

This is not an on-call position!

27. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Mar 24, 2011

Hi Joyful,
    I do the same thing! I have the "out of office" attendant in Outlook on when I'm teaching and I know that I won't check my emails for several hours. It's a polite "Thank you for your email. I am teaching the students at this time and will read your email on my planning time or after school. yada yada yada..." My issue is that everyone gets the email and I'd like to exclude emails from within the school. Is there anyway to do this? Thank you for your help!
    Kimberly

28. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 25, 2011

I check it, because I want people to check there email when I send them something :) As long as its not super long or requires legwork I just respond and am done with it.

29. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2011

Ditto!
    I usually check Sunday evening just so I have less Monday.
    I did not check over break.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2011

I check a few times a day. I almost always respond immediately.

But that's my choice.

31. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

I use to read and reply to e-mail after school hours and on the weekends. Not anymore. I need my family time and sometimes looking at e-mail just upsets me.

I now have the philosophy that it will still be there when I go to work on Monday and I will deal with it then. While I am at work during working hours, I check it and respond to it as often as I can (when I am not teaching). However, my time at home is my time.

32. time out

time out Comrade

Mar 27, 2011

I check only because that's part of my normal routine. Heck I even check a couple times a day =) But like a lot of people on here have said you shouldn't be expected to on your break or even on weekends. We wouldn't expect banks to check their emails on the weekends, would we?

33. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Mar 27, 2011

I check my e-mail the first two-three days of Break, if it's urgent I reply. If not, I dont.

34. Math

Math Cohort

Mar 27, 2011

I would say a teacher should check their e-mail over break if they assigned like a project over break like my Social Studies teacher did this year.. and I needed help and she didn't email me back until break was over!!