Do you change clothes when you get home from work?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by McKennaL, Aug 23, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 23, 2009

I never did. Unless I was going out someplace that REQUIRED a different "dress"...or had a big project like painting or gardening. (My thought was ...why dirty more clothes?) Sometimes, I am even in my grocery shirt and vest for a few hours PAST coming home.

But I have a friend who IMMEDIATELY changes into shorts and a tee shirt (even in the winter..brrr, too cold here for shorts. He has a pair of warm socks that he saves for me when I come over there.). I thought he was crazy...but once in a while, when I do...I feel a little relieved.

So... do you change? And if so...what do you change into?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

If I know I am not leaving the house again, sometimes I will put my PJs on (which consist of shorts and a t-shirt). It depends on how comfortable the clothes I wore to school were.

4. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Absolutely! There are days when I change before leaving school! Sometimes I have errands to run that would be just easier to do in sweats and sneakers.

dbelmo

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

I am in my favorite VS Pink sweats and cami within 3 minutes of getting in the door. I do this even before putting frozen food in the freezer.

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

I change after I'm in and don't have to go back out any more. For me, it is part of putting the school day away and settling in at home.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I change the minute I walk in the door. I dress up for work-- heels, stockings, sometimes a suit. None of that is ideal for making dinner, folding a load of laundry, or playing with the kids.

If it's warm out, I change into a T shirt and shorts, with flip flops.

If it's cold, either jeans or even sweatpants, depending on what's on the afternoon's agenda.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Yes, I usually change. If I am starting dinner right away, I do have an apron and I will just throw that on to get dinner started before I change. Otherwise, I run right up and put on sweats or something. I don't dirty that much laundry though. I usually wear my bumming around outfit most of the week, at least 3-4 days if I am not really doing anything. And I typically wear my work clothes twice before washing them, anyway.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 23, 2009

I always change as soon as I get home. Part of the reason I started it was because DH seemed to get everything going around the school. I have a certain level of immunity to all the stuff that goes around, but he got everything! As soon as I come in I change into lounge clothes - yoga pants or shorts and a T-shirt and wash my hands. It has really kept both of us from getting as many of the bugs and I am much more comfortable. I also don't have to worry about getting stuff on my clothes from cooking.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I always change as soon as I get home--jeans and a t-shirt or sweatshirt depending on the weather.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

Depends on if I'm in for the night & what time it is.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 23, 2009

It depends on the day. I have to wear very casual clothes to work because of the type of students I work with so sometimes I don't have to change at all. I do like to change more in the summer and if it's very hot i'll take a cool shower after work.

13. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I change as soon as I come home unless going out later. I usually put on jammies...shorts/pants with t-shirt.

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 23, 2009

I try to change right when I get home. I teach SPED Pre-K and on an average day I for sure get sneezed on, sometimes other things get on me too that I won't go into detail on.

I also take public transport and it makes me feel like my house is less germified if I change when I get home.

15. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

I change when I get to work.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2009

I LOVE yoga pants- not as sloppy as sweats so I can throw on a tee and cardigan with, slick up hair into a pony and I've got that clean and casual look without being a wreck.

17. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Almost always! Work clothes feel just gross after a day at work. I always wash them after one wear.
    I usually put sweats or pjs on..unless I know I am going some place after work. But, I try to run all of my errands on my way home from work. One I am in the house, I rarely want to leave.

18. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 23, 2009

Unless I have something to do later on that evening, I always change into shorts/sweats and a t-shirt as sson as I get home. It helps me unwind and get into "relaxed" mode for the evening. I try to run any errands I may have on my way home from work just so I don't have to get back out!

19. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I go to the gym after school so I do immediately change. Once I get home from the gym, I change into the pajamas if I have no other plans.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

Once I get home I very seldom leave and I immediately change into sweats or shorts and a tee shirt.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 23, 2009

OH YES, I change the second I get home & I've been doing this my entire life! I have my own loungewear wardrobe strictly for the house consisting of lounging shorts/skirts, tank dresses, & tank tops all year round. I'm usually bareoot, but I have some Okabashi brand shoes. I'm NEVER in regular clothing or shoes at home.

If I'm going to the gym, I'll change into gym clothes, but change into the loungewear as soon as I get back home again. It's not good to stay in sweaty gym clothes.

22. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Yep the very first thing I do is change into sweatpants and a t-shirt (and a sweatshirt if it's cold).

23. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

Like everyone else, it depends on what's going on. When I was working at the extended day school, I often did not get home until after 6. Most days, I put my PJs on immediately. Now that I work at a school that has regular hours, I usually change into jeans and a comfy shirt. Come Monday, I begin my PhD classes, I am not sure if I will have time to change clothes between school and my classes.

24. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

This thread makes me think of my childhood, when we wore dresses to school and came home and changed into "play clothes." :)

25. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 23, 2009

I change into my pajamas almost immediately.

26. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2009

I change into my pajamas too! Usually it's just sweatpants or shorts and a t-shirt.

27. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 23, 2009

I change every day as soon as I get home from work. Jeans and a tank top (well actually I usually have a tank top on under whatever I wore to work that day, so I just take that top off) or sweats. I like to work out after work and I like to be comfortable. Dress clothes are very confining. Plus I usually don't go anywhere after work so its nice to be comfortable...

28. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2009

Me too!

29. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

If I'm home, it's likely that I will be in sweats or pajama pants/shorts and a t shirt or tank top.

On the weekends I usually don't get dressed at all unless I have to. I'll shower and put on clean pajamas.

30. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 23, 2009

I'm the same way!:)

31. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 23, 2009

Yes. I have ruined too many "school outfits" by cleaning up or making dinner, so I usually have a few comfortable sets of clothes to change into. If I need to go out later, say for a board meeting or to meet with someone, I will usually just put my school clothes back on.

32. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

I usually change right away into some sort of lounge pants (right now capri track pants) and a t-shirt.

33. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

Aug 23, 2009

Yes, immediately!

34. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

Yes, I almost always change clothes. If I have any errands to run, I'll typically do them on the way home and still have on my work clothes. If DH and I are going somewhere else, I sometimes change clothes into something more "going out" appropriate.

When I'm just going to be staying in all night, I'll change into knit shorts, a t-shirt, and slippers when I get home. I wear the same thing summer or winter, although I do have a pair of knit pajama pants that I wear in really, really cold weather.

35. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2009

Even though I dress what most people would consider quite casual for work, I still come home and get even more comfortable immediately. I have about five high school era t-shirts that are perfect, meaning they are very thin and somewhat large, that I rotate through along with a few ahtletic capris. My shoes are off before I even leave the school parking lot!

36. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 23, 2009

I change usually take a shower right away too. I want all the kid germs off me. I usually change into sweats.

37. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 23, 2009

90% of the time I put on my Jammies within 30 minutes of being home :)

38. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 23, 2009

Definitely. I have to dress business casual, and don't feel like wearing that while I'm trying to relax at home! :)

39. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

Yes! Get that bra off asap!

When I had little ones I changed just to get the germs off me.

40. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2009

Oh, I am so glad that most of you do as I do--jammies. I can be found cooking dinner and cleaning house in my jammies, but at least I am comfy.

41. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 24, 2009

Immediately! Including all jewelry, especially. I cannot stand rings or necklaces longer than necessary. Sweats, t-shirt, and ponytail ASAP!