Do you call your principal by their first name?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ann2006, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

I'm curious about this because my new principal calls all of us by our first names and refers to others by their first names as well. I had to look at the faculty roster to find out who was who because I only knew everyone's first names. I have finally become comfortable with referring to her as her first name when I talk to coworkers. I still can't muster up the nerve to say "Hello _________(her first name)!" when I see her. School will be starting soon so luckily we can all do the Mr. and Ms. thing since students will all be around. Still I want to be able to say her first name when I greet her away from students. What do you call your principal? (I expect civil responses now!!!LOL!) What do you call her/him to their face? (is what I should ask):D :thanks:

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 20, 2006

Not usually to his face... though he is okay if we do and I think he would like it better--- I just can't bring myself to do it---

4. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Aug 20, 2006

We call our principal and AP by their first names. We have a small school and a "family" atmosphere.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

He's a member of a religious community, so I call him "Brother Kenneth", just as the kids do.

The members of the administration who are not part of the religious community are called by their first names.

6. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

i do both...most of the faculty calls everyone by their first name or just last name no mr. or ms. too often

7. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

I call him by his last name but I call everyone else by their first name. Sometimes though I call the older teachers by their last name by habbit since I am younger. I don't mean to it just ocmes out that way. I am only 21 so alot of the TA's are older then me and have been at teh school ten twelve twenty years so my brain just thinks to call them Mr. or Mrs.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2006

First names for all staff. We always use Mrs... for admin when kids are around. With other staff, we usually use Mr. or Mrs. in front of kids, but it's no big deal if first name slips out.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 20, 2006

The school where I am now is the first school I have ever worked in where most people use first names. I still find it very difficult and couldn't even tell you what some of their first names are. Our Principal and Asst. Principal both have the same last name - so I do usually use their first names, especially if the kids aren't around, just to avoid confusion.

10. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2006

First names here for the enitre staff except when there are kids or parents around.

11. thelonius

thelonius Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

I've done both ...

In my years teaching at a Catholic school and in a New York City Public School (both in the Bronx), all staff were addressed as Mr., Ms., or Mrs., especially when children are present. Oh yeah, not to mention the occassional Father, Brother, Monsignor, and Sister in the Catholic school. Colleagues who became my close friends, in and out of the classroom, were called by their first names and vice versa.

At the school where I taught in Queens, we all addressed each other by our first names, including the students. Now as a SEIT, whether I'm in the child's home or shadowing him/her in school -- casually calling each other by our first names -- even took a step further, and I'll leave it at that.

Overall, I'm not complaining, cos it's all good ... :)

12. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 20, 2006

My principal and I are on a first name basis. It helps that we have the same first name!

13. jcg

jcg Cohort

Aug 20, 2006

It depends on the situation, where you are, what the issue is, etc.

14. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Aug 21, 2006

As a first year teacher, the whole first name thing is still a bizarre concept for me. So, I just bluntly asked what is acceptable. I called him by his first name and then said, wait is that ok? What do you prefer? and as it turns out staff to staff first names are ok. It's a given that in front of the kids, use Mr. / Mrs.

15. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 21, 2006

Having been raised back in the day where adults were called Mr. and Mrs./Ms., it's still difficult for me to call my bosses by their first names even though I am close to their age!!! This is awful because at my last school, we all hated that we had to address our Principal by Mr. ----- and it became a school-wide habit that everyone addressed each other as Mr/Ms. even away from students. How ridiculous is that?

Now, I'm at a school where everything is so informal....first names away from kids for all of us...casual clothing.....ok for teachers to actually sit at their desks... (my last place we had to be standing/walking around at all times!)

I like the first name thing, the casual clothes, and being allowed to sit down but it will take some getting used to!!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

I call my principal and my colleagues by first names when no kids are around and by Ms. Mr. Mrs.______ when kids are present.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Same here.

18. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

Ah yes....sorry if I wasn't clear about that...naturally, all professionals are addressed in professional manner in the presence of students (and most often, parents as well).

19. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

A lot of us knew him before he became our Mr. Walker so we call him Randy. He goes to my church, too.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

Me, too. Otherwise it was awackward for me because the principal was my coach when I was in High School...it took a long time for me to call her by her first name. I still call her Mrs. so&so!!

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

Funny Diznee!! My husband used to coach my son in basketball (10 years ago). One of the boys on the team still calls my husband 'Coach'!! ;)

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2006

I know when I see a couple of my H.S coaches I still call them Coach even though they don't coach anymore!!! I guess it's like a first name...it just sticks!!!

23. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 21, 2006

As long as the kids aren't around, I call her by her first name.

24. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2006

If I'm around kids, I always use a title instead of a first name. I do use first names around others . . . with a set of "rules".

I teach in the district where I attended school, so many of the current teachers and administrators are people I had as teachers. I cannot call them by their first names! It just doesn't seem right. The principal was a teacher when I was a student, so I can't call her by her first name. I can, however, call the assistant principals by their first names because one of them went to school with me and the other isn't from our town. Silly, isn't it?

25. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

Not silly at all...these are the things I was waiting to hear.

Names...such a simple thing but whether we use first or last for bosses is so tied to our own personalities...very unique. I WISH I didn't feel soooo uncomfortable using her first name because she really wants us to!!!

26. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

I call mine by both depending on the situation. however, my wife, also a teacher, her principal makes everyone refer to him as Dr. ____. Kind of pompous if you ask me.

27. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 23, 2006

I refer to my principal as Mrs. ________ during school hours and in the presence of students. Otherwise I just use her first name. She has made it clear that she doesn't mind this more informal address. I guess it would depend on the individual.