Do you call the teachers....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Schuyler, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Schuyler

Schuyler Comrade

Mar 19, 2007

you sub for by their first name or their last? I know several teachers in one of the schools - though not well. I do know their first name, but they have never actually said "call me _____."

I was just wondering if you use last name (Ms. ______) when addressing your notes, or their first name (if you know it and/or they left you a note signed with their first name).

3. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

I always address the notes to Mr./Mrs. with their last name. It seems more professional that way. Just because I know their first name does not mean that I know them.

4. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 19, 2007

I wait for the invitation to call the regular teacher by their first names. In these cases I only use it when I'm talking to them directly in the teachers lounge, never in front of students or in reference while talking to another teacher. For the most part I follow the other teachers examples. With correspondence I always use the polite form. Anything written can be filed on record so it's better to be as professional as possible.

5. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 21, 2007

Ditto. Until then it's always Mr. or Ms. whatever for professional reasons.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2007

I always refer to teachers by Ms/Mrs/Mr and last name- especially in front of students. When I've been referred to as "first name", I have always felt it was the person's way of bringing me down a notch in front of kids. I just have never felt comfortable of parents calling me by my first name UNLESS I know them personally.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

When I leave plans for my subs, I sign my notes "Thanks for being here for me today" and sign my first name. Now, in conversations in the school building, all of the adults refer to each other by Mr./Mrs./Miss/Dr. and last name if there are students around.

Sometimes we'll refer to each other by first names . . . subs, teachers, other adults . . . when there are kids around, but we really don't think anything about it. The kids know that the other adults are our peers and can all us by our first names.