Do you buy your own totes/bookshelves?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by woobie5, Jun 2, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

I'm a new Kindergarten teacher and my room is filled with a lot of mis-matched, old, beat up pieces of furniture. One thing I would like to brighten up the room is some bookshelves or at the very least some bright color totes to put the books, blocks etc in to help brighten the place up. I hate to spend budget money on it b/c I would rather use that money for "educational" materials .... so what do you do? Buy out of pocket or what? THANKS!

3. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 2, 2009

We have to purchase anything like storage on our own. But you might check with putting in a request for some shelves to be built for you. I know that we can do that at my school. Also, other teachers might have stuff they are willing to give. My first year, I kinda dealt with the clutter/no storage situation. I bought TONS of those 97 cent shoebox storage boxes at Wal-Mart or Big Lots to put center materials in. I just bought a few a month. So my advice is to buy a few at a time if you don't want to spend lots of money on storage.

4. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 2, 2009

I bought brightly colored baskets for my library last year from Dollar Tree Direct. $48 for 48 baskets. I color coded the baskets based on topic/genre. Yeah, it was $48 out of my pocket, but I can use these over and over again. And it's a lot cheaper than buying from Really Good Stuff!

http://www.dollartree.com/party-sup...ets/207c219c219p30967/index.pro?method=search

Shipping is free if you have them ship it to your local Dollar Tree and you pick it up!

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2009

Out of pocket!

The Dollar Tree, just as cMcD suggested, is really awesome for colorful baskets.

6. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Jun 2, 2009

Wow! Those are perfect! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 2, 2009

I've spent hundreds of my own dollars this year on storage. It does make the room look nice, though.

8. meltua

meltua Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

I have some mismatched bookshelves, but once they are all painted the same color they don't look too bad. So if your furniture is wooden, try painting.

9. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2009

I have had to buy all of my own storage items, too. Dollar Tree is great. Target also puts school stuff in the dollar section. Ikea has some great storage that isn't too expensive, but they don't ship most of it. (I don't live near an Ikea store. :( ) Painting the items you already have is a great idea. Gluing fabric onto pieces is also a great way to brighten things up and unify the look of your room.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2009

I often buy my own things when it comes to that because if I switch classrooms (like this summer) or leave a job, I want to take them with me! :) lol

I remember when you bought them all cmcd! I'm glad they have been useful!

11. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

Garage sales are great places to find bookshelves sometimes. The Dollar Tree is a great resource, too... I had a local craftsman build me a mailbox center w/ oak. It houses 24 slots and is so heavy I can hardly lift it. It cost me about $50 but a nice one would be much more in a catalog.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

I bought my own too! Our budget would never allow for us to buy anything beyond the basic office supplies. I always make sure I buy at least a class set of stuff so I have matching groups of things.