Do you buy Christmas gifts for your students?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mamacass13, Dec 16, 2012.

1. mamacass13

mamacass13 Rookie

Dec 16, 2012

I only have a few days if I'm going to think of something, just not sure if I should or shouldn't. I have 19 2nd graders and not a lot of $$ - so just wondering on what you get your students if you do give them gifts??

3. MsG

MsG Companion

Dec 16, 2012

I do. I stock up on the $1 Scholastic books during the year and give them those. This year I got them each the Kakooma books, which are math puzzles. We've done a few together, so they'll be excited to get their own book.

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 16, 2012

Yes, I do. Each of my 2nd graders gets a Scholastic book and a "hot chocolate bag" with 2 envelopes of hot chocolate, mini marshmallows, and 2 candy canes. I also add in a homework pass printed on holiday paper and a holiday pencil.

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 16, 2012

This year my kids will get a reading book they can color, a coupon for a class reward of some kind, pencil, and a small toy.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 16, 2012

That's such a cute idea! I bet they love that.

I did it this year-I ordered some pencils/erasers from Oriental trading. Not very creative but I wanted to get them something.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 16, 2012

I bought pencils, erasers, & a little annoying toy from the dollar store.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2012

I do pretty much the same!:thumb:

9. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Dec 16, 2012

I buy crayons and other school supplies at the beginning of the year when they are on sale. I also look for markdowns during the year for books and other interesting things. This year I found bubbles on sale- large bottles for .25 each, plus Halloween candy- regular looking packaged stuff. I filled a gallon zip-lock bag full of little things I think they will enjoy.

But as a last minute idea you could get a couple of packages of Christmas glass ornaments, use a paint marker and put their name, date, and Merry Christmas from you. Use white lunch bags and tissue for wrapping paper. My boys got one from their teachers years ago and I still have them on my tree.:)

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 16, 2012

I used my Scholastic points and got them each a book (Charlotte's Web and some little goodies (candy, erasers, and such.)

11. FutureTeacher_1

FutureTeacher_1 Rookie

Dec 16, 2012

They each got either a book, puzzle, or coloring book and a holiday pencil wrapped this year.

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 16, 2012

No, I don't buy anything anymore for my students. Too many do not celebrate Christmas.
    We have a class winter craft and a snack.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Dec 16, 2012

Every year, I give my kiddos a book. This year, I'm decorating the packages (yes, I wrap them) with a Christmas lollipop I got at Sam's and a foam do-it-yourself Christmas ornament/frame that I made and printed out pics of each of them, laminated the pics, and glued everything all together. I'm using the ornament/frame as a gift tag. If you shop early and shop the sales, it's not too bad. I think I spent about $30, and I already have lots of giftwrap and bows.

My kiddos are ALL low-income, and many will not have much (if any) of a Christmas, so I definitely want to give them something. The kiddos do a gift exchange (girls bring a girl's gift, boys bring a boy's gift) and the gifts have to be $5 or less.

We have a party, and we'll have chips, cookies, cupcakes, hot cocoa or Capri Suns, etc., and they'll exchange their gifts then. I haven't decided if they will get my gifts to them in time to open them before they leave or if I'll hand them out as they leave the classroom, lol.

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2012

I buy a ton of books with my scholastic bonus points, spread them all out on the floor, and then draw names out of a hat. Everyone gets to pick a book, and there are enough extras out that even the last kid to pick has plenty of choices.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 16, 2012

I used my Scholastic points to buy those coupon books. So each student is getting a coupon for $4.99 to use to order books.

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Dec 16, 2012

I'm going to ask my other teammates what they're doing. One is buying each kid the book of their choice if they complete a reading log over break. That is going to be SO expensive. We don't have Scholastic. Even if you do the used books on Amazon for one cent, you have to pay 4 bucks for shipping still and they wouldnt' all be from the same seller. I think it's a really cute idea, but I just can't spend that much money.

I was honestly just thinking of doing pencils and erasers or something. I just don't have extra money to spend right now. I'm going to talk with the rest of the team and hopefull they're not doing something extravagant so my kids don't think I'm the grinch!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 17, 2012

I also do a Scholastic book. I put together a list of the $1 books from the November and December catalogs. They circle which one they want. I also give them a candy cane and a bookmark. Everything cost a grand total of $7.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2012

I'll be treating them to a hot-chocolate "bar" on Thursday afternoon (make your own specialty hot chocolate) and they'll decorate gingerbread men on Friday morning. They'll all get a candy cane on their way out the door on Friday.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 17, 2012

I have 4 and 5 year olds. I got each a puzzle from Walgreens (2/1.00,) holiday pencils (6/1.00 at Walgreens,) and will add something else. I just have to dig through my stuff at work. I know there are some Oriental Christmas crafts stored and books from Scholastic are a possibility.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 17, 2012

You can join Scholastic...my mom's church orders from them.

21. themilocat

themilocat Rookie

Dec 17, 2012

Yes!

I give my 5th graders a $1 book from Scholastic or the dollar section at Target. Last year, they had classic books for kids, so I got them all Frankenstein, Black Beauty, Little Women, etc. A few years ago, I stumbled upon a garage sale that had over 400 beanie babies and I started picking a few out for my prize box. The lady ended up giving me all of them for $40. I use them for everything now, so my kids get one at Christmas and at the end of the year.

22. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2012

I usually give a scholastic book and a few little holiday themed items, like pencils, etc. I don't have my own class this year, but I did get a gift for my kids in one of my after school groups. I gave them a pencil, little holiday pad of paper, holiday stamp, and candy cane. Then I let them choose a box of candy. (We just finished a musical and one of our props had tons of candy boxes on it. I bought enough for every kid to take one home when the show was over.)

23. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2012

A few years ago I found a TON of stuff on clearance at Wal-Mart after Christmas (pencils, erasers, crazy straws, etc.) super cheap--like 10 cents for a package. I stocked up, so my kids will get a little goody bag with a few of those, and a Scholastic $1 book.

24. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Dec 17, 2012

In the past, yes. My class sizes were small enough for each student to get an individual gift.
    This year they are getting goodie bags w/ small cheapie toys/candy in them.

25. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 17, 2012

I got inflatable globes from oriental trading.

26. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 17, 2012

I'm giving mine candy. Little packs of jelly beans.

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Dec 17, 2012

I had a bunch of Scholastic points so I got each of my kids a book and a candy cane. I'm also footing the pizza bill on Friday. That's plenty!

28. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2012

Are there any Scholastic warehouse sales in your area? You don't have to be a member or use their book orders to go. They sell the books super cheap, cheaper than they do in the book orders. My co-teacher and I buy each of our kids a book from a warehouse sale at Christmas time and again at the end of the year. We usually stock up on books for the classroom too. The books are between 50-80% off.

29. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 20, 2012

I'm giving them a $1 scholastic book, an eraser, and a set of personalized pencils from forteachersonly.com. I'm really excited to give them the pencils. :)

I'm also about to bake a ridiculous amount of sugar cookies for our cookie decorating party tomorrow.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 20, 2012

Just made 21 goodie bags with hot chocolate packets, Little Debbie gingerbread man, a few Rollos, holiday pencil. Tomorrow I'll put with Scholastic book for vacation reading.:love:

I'm also bringing in a panettone for snack time...we'll read 'Tony's Bread' by Tomie De Paola. Also made a family traditions cook book illustrated by my kiddos for them to give their families. I have a kid whose last day is tomorrow...kids are writing notes for her tonight and I'll bind into a going away gift.