Do you bring your laptop to work each day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by onestepcloser, Jul 15, 2012.

1. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 15, 2012

Do you bring your laptop to work each day?

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

I do--I use PowerPoints and such each day so I need to hook my laptop up to the projector. I'd be lost without it.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

I work at 2 diferent schools 2x/week on alternating days & I'm issued a work laptop because most of the offices/rooms us SLPs work at don't have desktops in them, so I HAVE to bring it everyday. Unfortunately, I can very rarely leave it at one of my schools until the next day. I have to lug it to & from my car daily! That's kind of a pain to do all the time! :mad:

5. QE1

QE1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

I spent all of last year bringing my personal laptop to school everyday. I had a Smartboard in my room, but my classroom teacher computer was so slow that it couldn't run the software. It was a bit of a pain to have to bring it everyday and the fan did get damaged a bit because of having to be transported so much.

If your teacher computer works well enough I would just bring things on a flash drive, rather than transporting your laptop all the time.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

How big is your laptop? I have one that stays at home all of the time that is my primary laptop for home. Then I have a work laptop that goes to and from school. I occasionally forget and leave it in my classroom, but only if a meeting or something comes up last minute right after school. I have two power plugs for it: one at home and one at school, so I just have to unplug it, stick it in my bag, and go!

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

My district issues a laptop to every teacher, so YEP, I use mine and bring it to school everyday! :)

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

A bit of reversal...

I have a school issued MacBook and a school issue iPad. I take the MacBook home about 2-3 times a week, and I very rarely bring the iPad home.

9. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jul 15, 2012

I don't bring it to school every day... I leave it there.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

Well, I NEVER have to bring my personal computer to work & I never have to bring my work computer in my house to do work, so it stays in my car (not visibly of course) & now that I moved to an apt complex this summer, sure, I'll worry a tad about possible theft, but I have a garage, not a carport. The special program I do my paperwork on for work is on a website, so I can be on any computer. When I have to type up Microsoft Word docs, I can do that on my home computer & email it to my work email & print it out there. The work laptop I've been issued is I believe 15".

I'd rather risk my work laptop being possibly stolen out of my car than lug it every single day 2x/day up & down stairs to & from my apt where I could possibly trip & with my bad ankle, don't want to risk it. I'll already be carrying my purse & work bag as it is. And yes, my laptop is in a computer case w/ the handle that pulls out that looks like luggage.

If anyone can think of a better solution, be my guest! :)

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I haven't--I do have a school issued one that I can use. In the fall, I am going to start bringing my personal one. Most of my planning is done at home, so things are on my personal computer, not the work one. My personal computer also connects more smoothly to my projector and is more efficient if showing video clips.

As far as carrying my laptop, I put it in a lightweight sleeve and pop it into my bag.

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2012

I bring my laptop most days. Last year our school provided all of ya with new laptops, but most of my power points and other stuff is on my MacBook.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Aren't groceries and shopping bags from the mall a bit more cumbersome than a laptop?

I mostly leave my school laptop at school...I could have taken it home for the summer, but I didn't. I've got enough personal technology at home for my needs. When I do take my laptop home, it fits in my Vera Bradley Bag with my plan book and papers. No 'lugging'.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I do.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 15, 2012

Not for me.

16. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

I have a school-issued laptop that stays at school. I have a laptop at home. I keep all school files on a flashdrive. I periodically save my flashdrive contents to my home laptop in case of Another Great Vacuum Disaster.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

I don't.

I very seldom use my laptop. I really don't use it for school work at all.

18. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

I bring it to school, but it generally stays there. The school issued computers are absolutely terrible, and won't run the software I needed (Polyvision board, similar to SmartBoard), HD videos, and some simulation-games.

So I use my personal laptop for work, and it generally stays at work. Essentially, I bought a computer for school use, that the school didn't pay for. It was a tad irritating to need to do, but I enjoy knowing that it's MINE. I can install whatever I want, take it anywhere without feeling bad, use it for the community college teaching I do, etc. So it works out okay.

19. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

I was told last year by IT that I am "not allowed" to bring a personal computer into my classroom. She found me using mine during my planning period one day last spring. Towards the end of the school year, I had gotten into the habit of bringing my laptop to use during my planning period when I had a student teacher, so that I could work on grad school assignments during my planning while she wrote and researched lesson plans on my school desktop. I had also used it to take notes on her teaching while I was observing her to provide her with written feedback.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2012

Is IT in the position to make that rule???

21. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Apparently so, as she showed me where the rule is included in the school's AUP (acceptable use policy) for technology. My school district is pretty strict when it comes to protecting their network, so I assume that is the reason for it since cell phones, e-readers and other items (used during planning) are no problem.

ETA: I was not attempting to connect to the network in any way, just plugged into the wall and working on word documents. But I guess this is one of those cases where policy is policy.

22. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

I do. I can hook it up to my projector and I prefer to work on school things on my laptop so I'll always have it with me. I was also working on my masters for the last 2 years, which included a portfolio assignments I had to do with my class, so I needed my laptop for all of that.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

I don't. We aren't supposed to bring ours to school and hook it up to anything so there is no real point even if I wanted to. Can't use the network, can't connect it to the projectors, etc.

Now, those in the clique do without any problems, lol.

It is ironic how we are to do all of this high level technology work with the students but do not have the resources with which to do it @@

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 15, 2012

I do not own a laptop, so no...

But, even if I did, I can't imagine why I would need to bring it to school. Everything is saved on my USB, and my school computer is pretty nice.

Also, it would probably be annoying to have it with me, since I rarely go home right after work. I wouldn't want to leave a laptop in my car during a Wisconsin winter.

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2012

I have a personal laptop that I purchased to use for work (like a previous poster), then a couple of months later (with no warning), I was issued a school laptop. I use both of them in my classroom - one to run my smartboard, and one to work on independently as needed (attendance, grades, quick notes home, etc.). We were told NOT to leave ANY moveable electronics (laptops, digital cameras, etc.) at work, and sure enough, there were a number of thefts from my school last year. While neither of my computers were stolen, I did have 2 digital cameras (both at the same time) stolen from my classroom. This year, I have a large rolling laptop bag that will actually hold both of my laptops, and I am actually considering toting them back & forth every night. Unless, of course, we have a new custodian, but then again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything.:woot:

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I'm issued a school laptop.
    I used to bring it home/school everyday.
    Now, I have a home laptop, so I just upload to DropBox and everything is on both laptops. So, I leave my school one at school.

27. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2012

If we bring in personal things, it become SCHOOL PROPERTY :eek: And they actually enforce this!

Plus, we can't connect to the network anyway.

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

In the teacher handbook it says that any technology we bring in for classroom use becomes school property. Fortunately it's not enforced. I think our district recognizes the benefits of technology and appreciates that teachers use their personal devices for school use.

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 15, 2012

I have a school issued laptop-so if I need to, I bring it home. Otherwise, it stays at school. I use mine every day.

30. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

I alternate between my laptop & my Kindle Fire. I mostly use it to check e-mails throughout the day since my school sends out a lot of daily e-mails and if I don't check it, I feel out of the loop.

I find my laptop very bulky to bring each day. I'm implementing a literacy intervention program this fall and will need to print out worksheets & such each day. We don't have desktops in our rooms, so I'm hoping that the tech department can find a laptop for me to use so that I'm not bringing my laptop with me each day.

31. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 15, 2012

The school has provided every teacher with a laptop that is used with the SMart BOards. I leave it in school. I plan lessons, power points... at home using my personal computer.

32. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2012

I have a school issued MacBook. At the beginning of the year I didn't bring it to school very often, but towards the end of the year I started putting it in my rolling cart and bringing it most days. I'll have to bring it every day next year because there is no desktop computer in the music classroom. I'm going to have to get a wrist pad because it's uncomfortable typing on the MacBook-my left wrist sits right on it and always has red marks.

33. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 15, 2012

I have a school laptop. I take it home & back every day. I don't have a laptop or desktop at home, unless I use someone else's computer.

34. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

I brought my personal MacBook every day last year. It was a pain. I now have an iPad too, and the district will give me a laptop, so I'm experimenting putting things on DropBox so I can access files anywhere. That way the laptops can stay at home and school, respectively, and I can only take the iPad if I want it. (Much lighter!)

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2012

No my laptop is for my home use only.

I do take my iPod with me every day, and I sometimes take my Kindle with me. I use those. I don't let the kids use them.

36. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2012

I used to bring mine from home. I didn't like having my personal files at work. Then I started just bringing my work from home and back on a flash drive. I liked not having to lug my computer back and forth, but it was confusing having 2 databases. Finally, a friend showed me Dropbox. I dragged all my school files over to my Dropbox folder and it's been a dream solution. I no longer feel like I have files scattered all over. I can work at home and its there for me when I get to my work computer. I absolutely love it. I keep my work computer password protected and locked in a cabinet, by the way.

37. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 15, 2012

I have two of my personal laptops at school. One I take back and forth each day...it's the one I do most of my work on. Even being in the office I'm often working off two computers, my laptop and the administration desk computer.

I also have my own laptop in my classroom that runs my SMARTboard and my Powerpoints. It was easier to buy another computer and dedicate it to the classroom.

38. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 15, 2012

I have a school issued Macbook Pro (brand new - LOVE IT!!!) and I take it back and forth every day. At work, I use it to take attendance, record grades, lesson plan, etc etc, and hook up to the projector. At home, I use it to plan lessons, create activities, search Pinterest...etc. :)

39. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

Me too. I bring it home to write report cards. I use drop box to transfer things between my home lap top (which I prefer!) to my school lap top.

40. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jul 16, 2012

wow, is that even legal? How can they just automatically dictate that anything you bring in becomes their property?

I started working in a school without almost no technology at all, and ended up bringing my own laptop, projector, and speakers. Had that all become school property, I would have never done so. What a strange rule... I've never heard of that before. Interesting.

41. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2012

That rule is enforced where I teach.