Do You Bother Attending Non-Education Job Fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2013

Having a job is better than no job, so do you bother going to job events offering clerical, customer service, maybe even retail, etc. type positions?

I'm going to one today where they didn't say what kinds of positions they'll have. I have customer service, clerical, & retail experience, so maybe with that along with my teaching experience, I can get something.

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2013

If I were unemployed I would, you never know who knows who and what it would lead to.

Did your speech job end?

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 17, 2013

When I was a senior in college I went to a non-educational job fair. My degree was in "Biology Education" and as soon as people saw the "education" part, they completely dismissed me. Some even said "if you're education, why are you here?" Even though my degree was 90% similar to those with a biology degree.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2013

PCdiva, unfortunately yes. I was a temporary employee & technically a paid intern. I'm in the process of trying to save my job though or at least get a less demanding one within the same district.

lucybelle, oh that's a shame! :mad: Well, I got a MA in special ed back in 2006, so we'll see what happens!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 17, 2013

Teaching has a lot of skill sets involved in implementing the job. If you are looking into a variety of jobs, your résumé needs to highlight this a bit.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 17, 2013

Tonight I attended a Chamber of Commerce business card exchange networking event. I now have a few new leads! Plus it was kinda fun and I had chances to inject personal stories and make casual connections to people I talked with. Plus I learned of new ideas to explore.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2013

cutNglue, I've never heard of business card events like that in my area. However, we have had this annual event for the last 4-5 years now for those who want to own their own business. There's a lot of various companies there & it was interesting. I attended it before & I may attend the next one.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2013

OH, good luck!

Let us know how the job fair is

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 26, 2013

Thanks PCdiva.

The job fair was actually OK. What was refreshing was that they actually accepted hard copy resumes & didn't just say to apply online & then "send you away" like I've heard usual job fairs do these days.

I go to another one next month.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 26, 2013

I didn't care for the last job fair I went to this week for the same reasons you just mentioned Ms. I.

I did go to an employer forum where different businesses stood up and announced what they do and gave out promotional materials. It was intended for people looking for jobs. Even though it was that same approach that made the job fair not so great, the host did a good thing at the end and just encouraged people to talk to each of the companies regardless. Because of this, I got a contact for a company I DO want to work for. The unlikely business I would never have spoken with just happened to have a friend that worked in that business and talked about it frequently. This person knew the employee AND the boss. Regardless of whether it pans out or not, I am using contacts where I can.

Then I went to an expo and there just happened to be a business that was in my field of interest and while they don't have an opening, he started just naming people and organizations off the top of his head. It turns out he is a pastor and he asked me to contact him and he will see what he can do to set up contacts.

Then another person from the business card exchange decided she liked me and even though she didn't have a job for me, we met for coffee and now we have someone to go with to these events.

Another person from the same business card exchange event doesn't directly hire but her job is to approach businesses and look for those who are hiring (HR developer) so now she has my information and what I'm looking for. In the meantime, she invited me to attend a Rotary Club event for more networking opportunities.

Eventually I'm hoping for a bite, but it's amazing how often people are willing to contact another person for me or knows a business I don't know, etc.