Do You blow their nose

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Jan 7, 2008

I'm feeling like a babysitter lately. Do you blow their nose for them? Tie their shoes? Button their pants? I feel like its silly that we are in January and they still can't do those things.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2008

I always told my kinders (student teaching and teaching) that after December I would no longer tie their shoes or blow their noses. That they were almost 1st graders, and they were expected to do these things on their own.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I didn't help them blow their noses or button their pants. I think that is just a little bit much. As far as tying shoes, I would ask them to try or find a friend to help them. Then if it still wasn't done I would help them.

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I don't do any of those things...

I tell them to try, or find a friend.

Kelly :)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2008

kasey, I just had to point this out. Here I was reading along, and BAM! :lol:

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jan 7, 2008

NO NO NO on the noses. I'm sorry, but that should have been learned LONG before Kindergarten!! I will button and zip coats, and button pants, but not zip. Some of them wear pants way too tight and just can't button them without help. Parent's don't think that if their kid can't do it at home, they can't do it at school either! And I am done tying shoes-I did until about Oct or so. I send home a letter telling parents we are working on being independent, especially with self help skills and explain they need to be working on shoes and clothes AT HOME.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2008

Some kids in 1st grade still struggle with tying their shoes. I will always ask them to try themselves first (in front of me) and then if I see where the struggle is I will show them. If they are just being lazy, it gets tied. If they really can't, I go ahead and help them.

9. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

great idea - I like that! we can use that "trick" for just about anything, right? zipping coats, putting on gloves, boots, doing math problems....

10. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Jan 7, 2008

I help with pants and belts, and coats and zippers, but then I work with preschoolers. I always have them try first, too. I really try not to blow their noses, although I will if I have to. It is just too gross. And gloves, I hate gloves. They can never get their fingers in the holes the right way. And I have 17 kids times two hands, and they all need help putting on gloves! By the time I get gloves on everyone, I am too exhausted to play! I wish every preschooler would only wear mittens! Where is masterprek? Can she put this in her election platform? All preschoolers are forbidden by law to wear gloves!

11. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

Something that works well is peer tutoring -as far as shoes and coats, have them ask a friend to help them. Many children will even try to teach them the correct way to do it themselves.

Scaffolding is good too. Start the zipper for them, and let them do the rest, or for shoes say "You tie the knot, then I'll tie the bows." I still do buttoning of the pants if they try a few times and still can't do it (they can't be walking around without buttoned pants!) but I don't do noses- yuck! Many can't blow their nose, but can at least carry around a tissue and wipe it when needed.

Asking them to try it themselves first, always smart. Sometimes they are just having a bad day or are tired or want some attention from you. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a good relationship builder. Think of how they must feel if you bark at them "I know you can do it so do it yourself" as opposed to you letting them know you're aware they can do it themself, but you care about them enough to do it for them sometimes.

12. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

As far as tying shoes, I have a system in place where we have kings and queens. Those are the students who can tie shoes. Whenever a student needs their shoes tied, he or she can simply ask for a king or queen. The students who know how to tie shoes love being able to help.

13. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jan 7, 2008

I don't do noses-Yuck! I will hand them a baby wipe and tell them to clean up their clothes if they get nasty stuff on them. For zipping, I will have them try in front of me and then I will help. Some coats are impossible even for those who can zip because cloth gets stuck or zipper is sticky. I will tie shoes and then I double knot them. I have one who will still untie them because he is bored! :eek:I am triple tying his next time!:D
    I punch holes in a paper plate or piece of cardboard and lace it up. I leave it in a center and when they can tie, they are allowed to sign the plate! Then they are recruited as helpers, much like that king and queen idea.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  14. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jan 8, 2008

Oh my!!! It took me a minute to see what you were trying to point out. Thanks...:toofunny:.

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 8, 2008

No noses. I tell them to find a friend for shoes (I only have one, maybe two, in a class of 18 that can tie).

I'll help with snow pants and coats because if I don't than I'll miss half my lunch waiting for them to do it themselves.

16. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 8, 2008

I've never blown noses! I have been asked to wipe some butts before, but that's a big NO from me! I love the Shoelace king/queen thing. I have whisper masters and captain silence etc, but I had never thought of kings/queens. I hate shoes.

The snow pants and coats-don't have that here in GA! Thank goodness.

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 8, 2008

Can you explain these? They sound interesting!

18. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Jan 8, 2008

When we are doing our math worksheets or whatever and need to be quit while working, I say that I am looking for a whisper master. Whoever is the quietest and whispers the whole time, they get to wear my lanyard with my keys and they are dubbed the whisper master!

Captain silence is usually during clean-up. It's the quiet game without calling it the quiet game!

19. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 8, 2008

Wow, what a great idea. I have had such a hard time this year with too much talking! I might have to try that!

20. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jan 8, 2008

I absolutely refuse to blow my K kids noses for them. I do not want the germs associated with that, and would not do so without gloves, which I don't have in my room. If I see that they need to do it, I tell them to go get a kleenex and do it.
    I do button pants, but I won't zip them. I will zip the zippers on my girls skirts though since many of them are in the back or on the side where they can't reach well.
    As far as shoes, I still tie them, but I am trying to figure out a way to get them to learn. I don't have time to spend teaching them during the day, so I guess a note home is the way to go.
    I am getting really tired of constantly tying the shoes! :)

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 9, 2008

What I hate is when you have someone that CAN fasten their pants but mom won't buy them big enough for them. They can't get them to meet in the middle in order to fasten them or once they do, they pop back open.

22. little317

little317 Groupie

Jan 9, 2008

I agree. I had one girl who had pants that were so tight. I sent a note home about it. I was very concerned.

23. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Jan 10, 2008

I definitely don't do noses. I did have to help with a #2 accident one day- thank God it was at the end of school!! I avoid shoes but sometimes you just have to. I was a TA in Vermont where you did the snowpants, boots, jackets, hats and mittens 5 months a year!! Now I'm in Africa where jackets are seldom even an issue. :)

24. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 10, 2008

It seemed like everyone in the class was doing well with noses, pants etc., and along came January and now everyone is helpless! I still have one boy who cannot get his snow things on by himself!

25. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 10, 2008

It is on our report card (shoe tying) so I tell parents that their child will be evaluated on it on ____ day. Most were ready when I tested them. If they still can't (and I have about 4) then a friend must do it. I will not tie shoes, wipe noses (or tushies), and I NEVER push the swings at recess.

26. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 12, 2008

Maybe I'm just the meanest teacher on the planet but I have never and will never blow a child's nose. The thought never even crossed my mind- I'm a teacher and that's the parent's job. Our report card assesses "self-help skills" such as covering coughs and sneezes, washing hands, putting on own coat etc. I also tell the parents they will be graded on these skills.

We make it CRYSTAL clear in our parent orientation that we do not help with potty issues either. You can view our parent orientation video here where I say it loud and clear. Helping with potty issues can also put teachers at risk for lawsuits and accusations- no way! We only help with buttons on the tops of pants, no zippers or belts. If a student keeps bringing a belt and can't do it independently we take it off them and put in in their back pack and send home note. When you're 4 years old it's all about speed, you need to go NOW and you can't waste any time with cumbersome belts.

When my students come to school with pants that are too tight to button like one poster mentioned, I send them home with a letter from our county "clothes closet" (free clothes for the needy) that lists their hours and qualifications.

Tie shoes are also a no-no in my classroom, I also say it in the orientation video. If you can't tie you wear Velcro shoes, when you learn how to tie you can wear lace shoes. Tying shoes is a kinder objective and it's also a developmental skill most of my pre-k's don't have yet. I have 23 students all by myself and there is no way we would ever learn anything at all if I spent my day blowing noses, wiping bottoms, tying shoes, doing belts etc.

27. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

I don't do noses. Some of my kids can tie their shows, but with others they tie and then its undone 2 minutes later. Sometimes I intervene with a good double knot, otherwise the child would spend the whole day tying their shoes.