Do You Believe This

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by justfine, Oct 5, 2006.

1. justfine

justfine Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

My assistant principal walked into my room and told me to put down all the charts that are written with colored markers. She wants us to use black markers. I said to her, "If you want them down you can put them down yourself because I am not going to climb up there to put them down." That @%&! stood on a chair and ripped my charts down in front of be. She looked like such an as$ doing it. I just laugh.

At the end of the day, I got a letter from her saying that I was rude and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH! I really wanted to knock this woman out!

Back to what matters!
    How do you explain small moments to your kids!

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Oct 5, 2006

:confused: What is her rationale for wanting them to be in black marker? Just curious...:confused:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

1 - Did you know that she wanted only black markers used when you put up the colored charts?

2 - Why in the world is she anti-colored marker?

5. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Oct 5, 2006

Yeah, why can't you use colored markers? Can you only use black markers on your whiteboard too?

( Black is so... boring though!)

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2006

I have heard something about black being better for kids to read.....I remember hearing /debating about it in grad classes....but to me the color makes it interesting AND helps the kids point things out (underline certian words or letters in red, green etc...)

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2006

You can put this one up there with all the other stupid things administrators do.... what a nice thing to do in front of the kids.

8. Ms. Ford

Ms. Ford New Member

Oct 5, 2006

Wow, that's a new one, my administrators want our charts to be colorful and full of pictures to attract the kids to the chart. Go to your UFT rep, that was inappropriate in front of your kids.

9. BronxTigger

BronxTigger Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

Justfine...are you in NYC? That sounds like an NYC AP thing to do, especially the follow-up with the letter!

I could just see my AP doing that, except she would be too lazy to climb on a chair!

At my NYC school, they are making almost 15 teachers (including me) change rooms this week! Yes, we are taking DOWN all our things and putting everything in boxes so it will get moved to a new classroom and we can start all over again! All this while teaching and doing eclas.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Bronx Tigger= I was thinking the exact same thing. I remember having to always worry about having my AIM for the day written on the board, etc..... the rules are sometimes enough to make you go crazy... all that upon the stress of teaching is too much

11. mslimko

mslimko Rookie

Oct 6, 2006

I went to a seminar last summer that talked about how children remember more when things are written in color. Look into it and shove it in her face. the book is by Susan Fitzell- didn't like the woman, but she had a lot of vital points.

I know that a lot of her stuff is backed up by research. I don't understand that at all. I would have a real hard time keeping my mouth shut.

good luck.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2006

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine telling an administrator to do it herself.

Then again, I've always BEEN SHOWN respect by those I work for; maybe that's the difference?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  13. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2006

Crazy.
    Control freak.
    Crackers.

I LOVE my colored markers and in first grade it makes all the difference if the word GREEN is written in . . . you guessed it - green!

My my my. What an insane world we live in. Is this a rule at your school and what is the rationale????????

I would look into it quietly and find out what the real truth is. If this is some school policy follow it gracefully so it doesn't eat you up. If you find out she is just being a control freak and it isn't policy, do your charts as you wish - don't make a big deal out of it. Once you get the truth of the issue, would you be able to talk to her so it is all settled?

This whole idea is nuts! You are right - on top of all the other stresses of teaching this is just crazy.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Never ever should you fight or say something disrespectful to your boss! You are going to be on her bad side now , you know?

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 6, 2006

I would reply with a note saying sorry she thought you were rude, and give her a case of crayola markers--gift wrapped.--- end your note: just wanted to brighten your day.

Ok so I'm sarcastic and you really shouldnt do that.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2006

I agree. Although I may be angry with the decisions that administrators make sometimes, I do remember that they are my bosses, that I answer to them and they will be writing my evaluations and providing me with references.

17. DebSue89

DebSue89 New Member

Oct 6, 2006

I have to wonder if there is more to this story. Do you have a bad history with this administrator? Does she often come in the classroom and make unreasonable demands? I wonder because your reaction in this situation seems, to me, to be a little harsh. Especially to a supervisor. I wonder would this scenario been different if you'd told her you couldn't deal with the charts while class was in session, but you'd be willing to discuss the matter when you had a free period? Then you could find out why she insists on the black ink and determine if it is, in fact, her preference or school policy. Either way, as you pointed out, it was inappropriate for her to interupt your class over this and argue in front of the children. Afterwards, you could've just apologized to the children saying that sometimes even grown ups don't always agree. Hope this helps.

18. justfine

justfine Comrade

Oct 6, 2006

Do You Believe This Update!

:D I got a nice apology from my assistant principal today. I walked into my classroom about 7 am this morning. About 7:30, my assistant principal walked in and asked to talked to me. She said, "I want to talk to you about what happen. I can admit I handled it the wrong way. I am sorry about that. I looked at her and asked, "Sorry about what?" She responded, "Everything." I answered, "ok." Then she asked, "Did you talk to your UFT Rep?" I looked her in the eyes and said, "ABSOLUTELY!!!" She stood up and said, "I just wanted to apologize." After that, she smiled and walked out!

I saw her at the end of the day and she said, "Have a great weekend!"

For those of you who thought I did the wrong thing by asking her to take the charts down herself, it had to be done! SHE WON"T MESS WITH ME AGAIN!!:D

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

She apologized because she knew she acted like a nut case, and also because she did not want to stir up any problems with the union. Good for you for telling her you did see a rep. She was highly unprofessional..... not only should she apologize to you, but she should really apologize to the students who saw an adult behave like this.

20. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 6, 2006

I'm glad she appologised.

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 6, 2006

I have heard that GREEN is the color of MEMORY :D

I write in black, green, and blue, mostly, yet I like my classroom being very colorful.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Who apologized? I don't see where either one of them apologized.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Well, Justfine, apparently things are different in your corner of the world. I would never talk to my boss like that because from experience, I have found that people tend to "get even" or at the very least, find a way to make things miserable. Good Luck.

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2006

The AP. It's on another thread by Justfine.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2006

Oh , thanks... I did find that and responded. I wouldn't talk like that to my boss ... I try and get along with everyone. First of all, I would have asked her why it had to be in black and white...and talked more with her about it. What's up with the lack of respect for those in authority? Aren't there better ways to talk to people? I just don't get it.

26. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2006

I guess it seems like everything worked out for you, but I agree that it was unprofessional on your part to tell her to take them down herself.

Did you ever find out why she was insisting on black marker?

27. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2006

Just fine, you asked how to explain this to the kids. If they saw her do that they heard you mouth off to her. Am I right? Why should they respect the vice principal if their teacher doesn't?

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2006

All adults deserve respect and kids need to know that.

The AP was wrong too, but that's not the point. Adults treat other people with respect. We own up to our mistakes. We try to remember the idea of community and to teach it to those kids with whom we have contact.

If that's the only thing they learn in our classrooms, we will all have still done our kids a huge service.

I would go in on Tuesday, and apologize to the kids. Explain that you were having a bad moment and forgot your manners. Explain the idea of respect and of community and of how we all need to bite our tongues once in a while for the greater good.

Make this into a teachable moment... talk about how your classroom would be if a) everyone reacted to every slight, real or imagined, with no regard for the other person. Blow your response totally out of proportion, and have them see that constant flying off the handle gives us a world we don't want to leve in. Then try b) a classroom where we all show the respect that we would want to receive.

If you really want to make the point (and bury the hatchet) invite the AP in for the discussion.

29. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

It seems to me...that being disrespectful to the administrator added to the whole scenario playing out. There are times when you just have to say okay...whether you agree or not. They are the administrator.

The tone of the original poster was a bit cocky and disrespectful. I also think there is more to the discord between that teacher and administrator.

Whether you like it or not...the boss needs to be respected.

30. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Oct 7, 2006

I think it is a shame that you cannot work out problems without running to the union.

I posted on the other post regarding this subject. I still believe that your attitude, Justfine, contributed to the problem.

I am not sure the reasoning behind your assist. principal wanting only black marker...but there has to be a history of trouble between you two.

As responsible adults...we need to work to get along...not to add to the friction...especially in front of our students.

31. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 7, 2006

I agree with many of the pp here. It doesn't matter who was right or wrong-it matters what happens from here on out. If you don't get the matter cleared up, it could mean a VERY LONG year for you.

If I were you, no matter how hard it would be, I would set up a time where you could speak to your boss. I would never do this in front of the students. I would be the big person and "apologize" even though you may not think you did anything wrong. If nothing comes out of it you can still hold your head high that you made an attempt.

I have a couple of questions though:
    Did your administration tell you from the beginning no colored markers? ( If they did that would have been the time to question it and find research.)

Did your administration come in and tell you to take it down while you were teaching? ( This seems absurd that they would take time from your meaningful teaching to do this.)

I wish you the best of luck and just remember that they are your boss whether you like it or not. You might not agree on everything.

This is one of the incidents that we can all clearly see where teachers have strong beliefs and opinions!

32. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2006

Just a head's up to everyone: I don't think the poster wanted advice on how to explain the actual incident to her kids. She was asking for tips on how to teach "small moments" to kids like in teaching writing workshop. I got that from her in the end and I think it cofused a few people. "Small moments" is a unit of study in writing workshop.;)

33. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Right. What a mess of comments. So many people here are quick to throw in advice where it's not asked for.:(

34. AppleforMe

AppleforMe New Member

Oct 7, 2006

Similar happened to me too a few months back. I must say the back wall looks very dull now and I certainly do not agree that black and white is better!

Colour clarifys and inspires!

35. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Oct 7, 2006

I'm glad things worked out for you. Maybe she was just having a bad day.

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2006

Could you tell us the reason this happened? I don't think I've seen anyone tell us why it must be black ink only. Thanks.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2006

Sorry, that was never my intent. I thought she was referring to those small moments when we do things we later regret.

My apologies.

38. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 7, 2006

I don't think anyone was out of line in their posts, they were offering advice. I've gone back and reread the first post and it's not really clear what is being asked. I, like most others, felt like she was asking how to explain what happened in the classroom to the students. It's possible, though, that she had one post for two things.
    It's difficult to read emotion into a typed post, or rather, sometimes it's far to easy. I think 99.9% of the advice offered on this site is offered honestly and in an effort to help.

39. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2006

That's why I threw that point into this thread. Just to see if maybe somebody actually had advice on "how to teach small moments to kids".:D

40. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

You never know if she already tried working out problems, before going to the union. The union is there for SUPPORT. Perhaps there WAS another way to reply to the assis. principal, but the assis. principal was ALSO out of order and could have thought of another way to be professional with her actions as well. It's a two way street dear.
    There are many unethical issues that need the support of a union/federation. Some educational administrators feel that their higher position allows them to become dictators, forgetting that they were once teachers too.

41. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Oct 7, 2006

Justfine-I am glad you feel things worked out for the best for you. I hope the rest of the year goes well. I hope that she doesn't "MESS" with you in the long run. I am just curious how long have you been teaching? Do you have to still have evaluations by this person?

As Grammy Teacher stated it must be a little different where you are. I am in a place that doesn't have a union, therefore we don't have that type of backing. However, even if we did I am not sure that I could have told my boss to do it herself. I guess that I am a firm believer in what comes around goes around and for myself I would worry. I just believe respect is the key on both sides. If respect is lost on either side it is a bad situation.

Did you find out though her reasoning for the markers? I would still pull her to the side and ask this!