Do you begin curriculum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jlj, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 18, 2012

the first day? ABEKA is a scripted curriculum with 170 days of lessons. The first week includes time for establishing expectations, rules, etc. as well as lessons. Problem is it really doesn't build in time for assessing the children.

1. What do you do? First day? First week? What do your days look like? 2. What does your schedule look like? All of my specials are in the mornings.
    3. Do you do math calendar and then go into math lesson/centers or are they separate times of day?
    4. Do you have math or phonics in the morning?

I teach a combo K/1st. Last year I had several more 1st graders than Kinders. This year its opposite. No aide for now. total of 16 students. :eek: :dizzy:
    Thanks for your help!

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2012

We do not begin curriculum right away, which is good because my kids have forgotten a lot of their English during the summer, but bad because it makes planning difficult. I am starting with my neighbors unit, a unit I have put together using various resources. The main idea of it is for the kids to learn that we are all neighbors and as such we should care for one another, help each other, work together and cooperate. This gets a lot into Social studies (like mapping), and some math (using shapes for our mapping), so we will touch some of the curriculum. Here's my schedule:

8:00-8:10 read (this time will later be extended when kids have built up their stamina)

8:10-8:40 Morning message/oral language (big idea, comprehension strategy, read-aloud)

8:40-9:00 Daily 5 activity

9:00-9:10 mini lesson (phonics)

9:10-9:30 Daily 5 activity (work on words)

Lunch

Spanish class

11:00-11:10 Quiet time

Students may read a book, organize desk, or work on unfinished work

11:10-11:20 Mini-lesson writing & grammar/handwriting

11:20-11:40 Daily 5 work on writing

11:40-11:50 Mini lesson social studies/science

11:50-12:15 sc/science work time (the idea is that I am integrating as much of these subjects into the other time slots).

12:15-12:25 math warm up

12:25- 12:35 Calendar

12:35-12:45 math mini-lesson

12:45-1:15 Math centers

1:15-1:45 recess two

1:45-2:30 Activities

I hope that helps as you plan. I find that I plan easier, and the kids work better, when we have a fix schedule. When you do your plans weekly, you'll just have t plug in the specific plan details for each section.

4. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2012

Yep I do curriculm 1st day and the last!

I begin Daily 5 & math.
    I do a coordinate graph.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 18, 2012

I'm one of those who does curriculum the first day. Nothing too difficult or stressful, but I definitely dive right into the textbooks (language arts and math).

The first week, however, I'm constantly reviewing rules, procedures, expectations.

6. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 18, 2012

I am starting the Social Studies, Science & Math on the first day. Reading I am waiting till the 2nd week because I want to start it on a Monday. Our first day if school is on a Thursday.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 18, 2012

I think it's hard because you don't even know where the kids are before you assess them.

We are supposed to start our reading adoption the 1st day. It's really hard to do that and start a routine because most of the morning is devoted to tour of the school, fire drill practice (we have one on the 1st day), rules, etc. So my reading block gets pushed back. If I had my way, I would just stick to back-to-school type read-alouds and activities that go along with those

I think teaching a split is really hard. I do calendar in my math block and reading in the morning. We had specials in the morning one year and I hated that-the kids need that time when they are fresh to do their academic work.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Good luck!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2012

I usually do a math lesson on the first day. That is all I usually have time for.

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

I begin regular teaching on the 2nd day of school. The first day is all about getting to know the kids.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

I'll spend the first 2 or 3 days gathering diagnostic information.

12. ShellyAve

ShellyAve Rookie

Aug 21, 2012

I never start on the first day, but depending on how long the first week is they'll usually have begun by the end of it. I reserve the first day for getting to know one another and exchanging all the necessary information, and answering any questions. I try to plan for a day or two of basic review, but if no one is struggling I'll move on to the actual curriculum.

13. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2012

I touch on everything I normally would do on that day of the week. I do a little reading during the reading time, I do a little math during the math time, I do a little art, and a little science, and if there is a prep time during the the first day that will be in place in a week or two I say I do this during this time we will do such and such. When I touch on the curriculum it can be very short or if it is an activity that I know is engaging it can last up to forty-five minutes. I do this all week long and then over the second and third week move towards more solid schedule. The first week is very fluid.