Do you attend school sporting events, concerts, plays?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Do you attend these sorts of events even when you aren't working as a coach or sponsor?

I went to most of the home football games last year, several of the track meets, some wresting matches, some softball games, and a forensics tournament. I obviously don't go to all the events because I need to have a little bit of a life of my own outside of school, but I do try to go to at least a few events each month.

I especially try to go when a student invites me personally or casually mentions that they have a game/thing tonight. I've found that students really (really!) like it when teachers go to their events and show an interest in what they do outside of school. Often I hear kids I don't have tell their parents something like, "Hey! That lady is a teacher at my school!" I think it makes them feel proud of their school that teachers show up in the evenings to cheer on the team.

Aside from the football games, I don't see many teachers at these events. It would be nice to see at least one or two at each one.

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

I plan to attend many of the extracurricular activities of the school where I will teach. Interestingly, my dad taught HS Chemistry for a while (until his heart wouldn't let him). Anyway, the HS where he worked required teacher attendance at ALL sporting events! I thought that was a little overboard, myself.

I agree with you, Cassie, about the kids being pleased when you actually show an interest in them. Too many of them get too little or no attention like that at home, you know?

Oh, and did I tell you that my baby sister's name is Kassi?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

The fact that many parents aren't invested in their kids plays a huge role in my decision to go to those events. Seriously, sometimes I would prefer to stay at home at watch Survivor, but I can always tape it and some of those kids have no one to see them win the 400m.

And Cassie (along with its many variant spellings) is a great name. Nay, the greatest!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

Did you just "divine" that, Cassie? Did you "see" it coming? LOL

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

You're very punny!

7. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 20, 2007

I try to go to as many school events as possible. The kids really feel special to know you care enough to take your time to do that for them. My daughter plays a school sport at the school I teach at, so my students know how busy I am already and feel extra special that I would add them to my list. I've even attended out of school events that kids have told me about. State skating championships, car races... some very cool stuff. Kids do some of the neatest things, and we can learn so much about who they are by visiting their worlds outside of school.

8. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

if a student gives me his/her sports schedule i ask him/her to star a few games and i choose one or two from the season. it's a nice time to see the students outside of being "under the microscope". we just get to enjoy each other. i've also tried to attend all of the birthday parties that i get invited to. it's interesting to see if the parents seat me on the adult table or on the kids' table.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

Yes, I do. I go to skate nights, participate in all family nights, attend the Christmas concert, go to some board meetings to support students, attend the volunteer reception (though last year, my volunteers didn't attend and I was BUMMED), and go to the science fair awards assembly.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2007

I did a LOT before I had kids.

My husband works part time with the photo studio that does the yearbooks for both our schools. So actually he sees a lot more of the games and stuff than I do. Babysitters (for 3 kids) aren't cheap; a 3 hour game is likely to cost me almost $40 in sitters.

But I do get to the Communion Breakfast, the BIG Sports night, and a few of the other things.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

I, like Alice, did a LOT before my kids. I not only went to games and concerts, but I also sponsored clubs and directed the school plays (our drama teacher said she just couldn't)!

I think teachers, our lives go through cycles. There are years when we can do many of the extra things and years when it's all we can do to make it to school every day. Now that my kids are getting older and daycare restraints aren't as much of an issue, I can start doing some of that 'fun' stuff again. Of course, now I'm also going to events at my daughter's school, too!

12. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I try to go to at least one team event for each team. I do go to all the plays, musicals, chorus, etc. BUT my kids are grown and my husband travels.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2007

I go to as much as I can. I try to help out with supervision at evening concerts, plays, etc. when it works with my schedule. When there are games at our school I always pop into the gym for at least 5-10 minutes to watch and will often drop in on tournaments being held at different schools. It means a lot to the kids (not just those in my classes) and it's great to see the kids in a different environment.

14. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

We have certain events that we are required by our contract to attend. We don't have sports, so they are things like a beginning of the year picnic, end of the celebration and art show. This is fine with me now, but my first year at this school, I really hated it because you just have to stand around and talk to parents and others in a social way. Too much pressure, but does build community.

I teach in a private school, so they can require this of us.

I've been invited to go to things that children do after school. I went to a basketball game and a piano recital last year.

15. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

I go to one of the boys' and one of the girls' baseball games every year. (of the students that are in my class) They really enjoy it when I come and feel so proud. The parents are also really appreciative and think it's neat that I do. I wish I could go to more but with 4 of my own kids and their activities, I get a little busy.

16. sayuri

sayuri Rookie

Jul 21, 2007

i bring my two year old with me. my students seem to enjoy seeing a different side of me too. they love playing with her and many times it keeps me from getting trapped into a corner and talking with parents at length.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

I love going to see my kids doing things. I tell them to get me a schedule and I will try to make at least 1 event. I actually have several former students who give me their schedules still too. I have 3 former kiddos on an all-star baseball team this summer, so I've gone to a few of their games. They call me their #1 fan!

But I have no kids yet, and my bf works 3-11:30pm, so I have free time when I don't have graduate school:)