Do you ask students what their preferred gender pronoun is?

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Swetha, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 25, 2012

:yeahthat:

2. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2012

It's not something that I've really thought about before, to be honest.

I don't think the idea is ridiculous though, especially if a student comes up to you and tells you that he/she wants to be referred to using a specific gender pronoun.

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Sep 25, 2012

Yes, we spoke about this in many of my graduate classes. That it further separates the two sexes, creates an even greater acknowledgment that there is a difference between the two. I don't necessarily agree with those sentiments, but we were taught to use gender neutral phrases and I very often address my class as "friends." Ex: "Good morning, friends."

4. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 25, 2012

I'm failing to see how it's in any way "ridiculous".

No need to talk down to me. I know what I said.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 26, 2012

At the youth center I worked at for at-risk youth we always asked due to the high number of LGBTQ homeless youth. In elementary school I never ask. Once in awhile there is a boy or girl at our school that has a questionable gender orientation but since they are generally under 8 years old, we just let them be. For example, we had a boy that wore princess dresses to school or in the dress up area, and a girl who had a shaved head and wore spiderman t-shirts every day. Over the years I have had maybe 2 or 3 second or third graders who have some gender issues. I had a girl in first and second grade who insisted she was an "alien" because she wasn't a boy or girl. Now she is a happy fifth grader, who is a bit of a Tom boy but seems fine with herself and plays with boys and girls.

So no, I don't ask my students. If I were in a setting with LGBTQ youth, I would.

I try to be pretty gender neutral and don't divide kids or call on them by gender.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2012

I also would not ask, but I would respect their wishes if they approached me about it. I have 3 transgendered students in our GSA and the topic never came up, but it might be a good one to discuss at our meeting tomorrow.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 26, 2012

Ridiculous? Some people are transgendered or questioning their gender identity ... an attitude of "that idea is ridiculous" makes the situation negative. It doesn't have to be a negative situation.

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 26, 2012

I haven't encountered this in the classroom, yet, but I did at my university with friends/acquaintances. I never actually asked; I just picked up on how others were referring to a biological female who uses a male pronoun. I wouldn't ask a student. I would just listen to how his/her peers refer to him/her. :)

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 26, 2012

No, I would never ask that question. Call me crazy, but I call boys "he" and girls "she." Even if a boy believes he is a girl, it doesn't make him a girl.

I don't acknowledge sex change operations by switching the pronouns either. No matter how many surgeries you have, a man is never going to truly be a woman, and vice versa.

10. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2012

That's interesting...it also isn't something I've thought about. I teach high school, so I don't use "boys and girls", but I use "ladies and gentlemen."

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2012

This!

I'm also pretty gender neutral in my classroom, but would respect the wishes of a student if brought to my attention. I have a friend who goes by ze/zir.

As teachers, we have a big responsibility to be as inclusive and welcoming as possible to all of our students.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2012

No, I've never encountered this situation.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 26, 2012

When I have a question, I ask. I had one student who wanted to be "she" when she was "dressed,: (wearing make-up, nail polish, etc.) and "he" when he wasn't. It all depended on what mood he was in when she woke up in the morning.

14. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 26, 2012

That's INCREDIBLY disrespectful.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 26, 2012

Probably sexist in some way of me, but I refer to everyone as "guys". Like: "Hey guys! Let's get down to work now!"

If I've ever been in a group of friends, even if they were all female, I'd refer to them all as "guys". I don't think of it in anyway showing preference to a male gender. It's just the term I use to address a large group of people.

@Greendream: As Mike said, that would be intensely disrespectful of you to say that to someone who views themselves as a different gender. It is a biological wiring of the brain that is responsible for this and is not normally something they chose through any fault of their own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.