Do you allow students to correct their work and resubmit?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Sep 14, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

Do you let your kids redo their work and resubmit it for credit? If so, what stipulations do you put on it?

I have in the past (in math only), and I plan to this year as well. I always had pretty strict rules. We had 'Thursday Folders' at my old school, so they had to turn the work in by the following Tuesday to get credit. My new school doesn't do weekly folders. Parents are really good about checking grades online, so I guess they don't feel it is necessary. So far, handing back work has been a bit of a hodge podge. Maybe by Monday for the previous week's assignments? I don't know!

I usually only offer 70% as the maximum grade for corrections. I'm thinking about upping it to 80%. I want them to practice skills they didn't understand, and I want them to be successful grade-wise, too. But I don't think you should be able to earn 100%.

Too many decisions. What do you do?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

I used to but it got to be a major hassle. Not worth it, IMO. I found that the only kids that really took advantage of the opportunity were those that wanted A's, not the ones that really needed to master the work in order to pass. It seemed that every work around I had to make life easier for me only ended up causing more trouble.

I tried:

- test corrections where students earned back 1/2 of the points they missed. I had strict guidelines on how to do this. I even modeled what correcting a problem looked like, left up examples of good and bad corrections and monitored as students corrected. Most of them still came back incorrect. If I didn't give any credit for the corrections parents would flip because the kids had to stay after "for nothing."

- made a maximum grade available. Students could do corrections (or take retake tests) with a maximum grade of 70 (or 76). Again, parents would complain, sometimes to the principal, that it wasn't fair that Johnny couldn't bump up his 91 to a 95.

- Said that corrections had to be completed by a certain date, usually a week from when they got their test grades. Coaches would complain that Johnny couldn't do it because of practice and he should get a chance like everyone else, even if it is two days before grades are due.

- the biggest problem by far, though, was that students would blow off studying because they knew they would get a second chance. Why pass up going out with friends the night before a test when you can bomb it and study at your own convenience later. The students I was most concerned about mastering content were the students that tended to think this way.

So I just gave it up as a policy. Once in a while, I'll offer it up, but never, never for one of the first tests.

4. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Sep 14, 2014

In my collab 6th grade math class, we let the students make corrections for half credit. They have to give the correct answer and a reason why they missed the question or why the new answer is correct to prove understanding.

5. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Sep 14, 2014

The corrections are mandatory for grades 70 or below and parents have to sign.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 14, 2014

I always let my students correct and resubmit, although I make them retake multiple choice quizzes one-on-one with me. The goal is to gain mastery of the standards, and those corrections give them the ability to do so.

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 14, 2014

I do not, except in cases of tests, which is a district decision and not one I agree with (at least not the way they do it). If a student fails a test, they get to come after school on a specific day. We have to hold a review session right then of all the material on the test and then give them the same test again. Whatever they get the 2nd time completely replaces the first. So a kid that get a 62% gets an extra week to study, a review session right before retaking it and gets to replace that with a 92% while a student that gets a 64% just has to keep it. Drives me nuts.

I provide TONS of chances for extra credit work, so I don't feel the need for it on other assignments/quizzes.

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 14, 2014

I've known students, who worried that they might lose their A average in a class, purposefully bomb a test so they could have a sneak peek at it and more time to study. This is sanctioned cheating. Drove me nuts when I heard about the teachers that allowed this.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

I've done test corrections in the past, too. Always for 1/2 credit and they had to explain what they did wrong. They were terrible at it. It was always a headache.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2014

Some information about my students:
    They are an extremely challenging group behaviorally.

They are very far behind. (see above)

Half of them went without a teacher for much of the year. She suffered a stroke and they couldn't find a sub willing to teach them. They are rough. That caused them to be even further behind.

Half of them are failing already. I've taught 4 lessons, 3 of which are REVIEW from previous grades. They are never going to make it. Their grades have always been bad, though. I have the higher homeroom and I only have one student who received all As and Bs in 4th grade. I didn't look at 5th grade report cards since they had such a crazy year. I figured 4th grade would be a better gauge.

11. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

My district requires us to allow it.

12. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 14, 2014

I will allow corrections after the student sits through a small group with me where I reteach the lesson. I average the two grades together.

13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 14, 2014

My school requires us to allow it.

I am okay with a student who tried but did not do well the first time getting a second chance. I do not like that some students don't try the first time and have a second chance. My school also has a retake/redo policy that I feel puts more work on the teacher than the student when a student has to retake or redo an assignment. I agree with the principle of a second chance, but I think every case has its own unique circumstance that should be taken into consideration.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2014

This is what I do as well. The marks on report cards are expected to represent student mastery of concepts--not how they performed at a specific moment in time. I do require students to either attend extra-help sessions or to conference with me before they redo their work.

15. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Sep 15, 2014

A school I was doing a field course at last semester had a no zeros policy meaning that students were required to do all assignments before they received a grade for the course, and had to at least get partial credit for late work.

What they also had was if the students got below an 80% on a test, they would be able to go in for a tutoring session, and retake another version of the test and get a maximum score of 80%.

When I was in school, many of my teachers allowed corrections for up to half credit for each incorrect answer, but these were rare. They typically were only on tests that more students struggled on than were anticipated.

For me when I become a teacher, if it is a test that is very difficult where the average and median scores are very low, I'd consider it. However, if it is just because a student either didn't study or hasn't been doing homework practice and got a bad grade, why should they be given special privileges to correct their work and get a better grade?

16. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 15, 2014

For homework I do until the end of the week for full credit. Anytime after that is half credit (I don't want to deal with the percentages).

For projects I will accept them late with a one letter grade deduction only if they've had their parents sign their project.

For tests, I generally give everyone the chance to do corrections, but they only get half a point for each one they correct.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 15, 2014

I will as long as I'm not getting 10 kids copying off of one student who actually does the work. At that point, it is cheating, which is against my classroom rules, so then the "corrections" don't count at all.

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 15, 2014

That's where I'm lucky. It is unbelievably difficult to cheat in my class. Some of my students have each other's contact information, but they are in the minority.

19. physteach

physteach Companion

Sep 15, 2014

Of course I have the students correct their work. They can get 1/2 points back on tests and full credit back on lab reports. I want them to develop good habits, including learning the value of revising work. From the beginning to the end of the year I see a huge difference in the original work submissions the students give me. It is truly amazing in some cases.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2014

Yes, but only on tests. All classwork and (the very rare) homework assignments I give are graded for completion.

21. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Sep 15, 2014

I allow students to redo work. Their total mark for the assignment then becomes an average between the first hand-in and the second.
    I give retests, but it is a different test and they must come do it during a specific lunch hour. If they missed the first test, they only get the one chance.

22. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 15, 2014

I have tried most of the things 2ndTimeAround listed, with little success. It's true that the kids don't study because they know they'll get to retake the test. I do not agree with this policy, but I understand that it supports standards-based learning because the kids should show mastery.

Last year was ridiculous (thanks to the principal) and I had kids retaking assessments 5+ times, plus turning in formative assessments whenever they wanted, even ones that had been assigned in the first grading quarter being turned in the last week of school. We (as a faculty + new principal) are going to be having conversations about how to offer retakes and be consistent from class to class.

23. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 15, 2014

One thing that I do that limits that is that they never just get to retake the test like the first time (except in special circumstances). When they do corrections, they are doing an explanation and analysis of each problem they got wrong. And they only get half-credit for it.

It's way more work than just doing it well the first time around. Unfortunately, that sometimes leads some students to simply not do the corrections, but hey, if they're not going to try on the test, and they're not going to try on the corrections that I don't have to let them complete, then they've got the grade they've chosen.

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 16, 2014

If the assignment is something in which the students had to create an original writing/document, then by all means, yes, I allow it. The point is for them to learn the skill... If the assignment were something like a fill-in-the-blank, get-the-answers-off-another-kid-and-turn-it-in thing, then no. I wouldn't.

25. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 17, 2014

This is my approach. I try to make it really hard to fail my class.

26. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 17, 2014

I do, but I don't grade work. Our grades are based on assessments only (although I do take class performance into consideration, of course). I always let them re-do their work because it's not about the grade. It's more about them understanding their mistakes, learning from them, and correcting them.