Do you allow students to check?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

I never allow students to check each other's quizzes or tests, but I do allow them to swap papers and "check" as we go over homework or classwork in class. I ALWAYS go back and comb through the work and make final judgment calls on an answer's correctness or not (this is for math class) since homework/classwork isn't a major grade. Do you do this? Do you think this is wrong in any way?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 17, 2013

I do sometimes let them check practice, but that's it. That's a policy at my school.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Yes, I do. You are opening up a kid who doesn't perform well to teasing or something more and violating their trust and privacy. Have them put all pencils away and check their own work with a pen or marker, added bonus is that they might see their mistake as they go.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2013

This.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I don't like this practice. Maybe students aren't as jerky to each other in elementary school, but I can't even let students pass papers back because they'll start mocking each other for their grades. I don't even announce 100% on tests anymore because they'll mock for that (it's a no-win world in high school). Plus, if I have to go back and check for accuracy (and for cheating to help their buddies), it doesn't save me any time anyway.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I don't think this is necessarily a "best practice", but I also don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially if it's not even a graded assignment.

I do think it would be wrong if students were putting grades on papers or if it was done for EVERY assignment, but you've already stated that's not the case.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

If I'm going to grade something, I'm going to grade it myself. If I'm not going to grade something and just check it, I'd rather have the kids do it themselves. I have my kids check their own homework with a highlighter or marker... I don't put grades on homework because... sigh... in my program, I have parents that will do homework for their kids.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

Nope, I never give one kid another kid's paper. It's no one else's business how a particular kid did. If he chooses to tell them, it's his decision, not mine.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 18, 2013

I do do this. Maybe it's just my classroom environment, but I don't get students who mock others for their performance on quizzes. Rather students usually get words of encouragement if they didn't perform very well. In this way they're also held accountable by their peers for their performance.

If I have a student who feels uncomfortable with peer checks, I will allow them to check their own work.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Nov 18, 2013

No, this wouldn't work for me. It's not a time saver if I have to go back and check it over anyway so it wouldn't serve a purpose to me. Also, I don't like them to know each other's grades. They might use it as an excuse to tease or they might feel bad if the paper they're grading gets a higher grade than their own. I've also had students embarrassed by any grade that is not a 100% - as silly as that sounds.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

We did on practice stuff or homework...review type stuff when I was in High School. We had to put our names on the bottom and if something was done wrong (correcting wise) we had points docked from our work. I guess when we were in HS we sat where we wanted to by our friends usually...so there wasn't really any OMGosh you did so horrible type thing.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 18, 2013

Not if it is an actual grade. But I have had students exchange papers and "grade" them on practice problems. Then they go over everyone's mistakes together.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2013

I used to do it for quick, easy-to-check quizzes or assignments when I taught MS.

15. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

No, I don't let kids swap and correct papers. I had a few teachers who did this in elementary and high school and I disliked it greatly as a student. I think grades should be private.

16. live

live Companion

Nov 18, 2013

I don't do this. Either I check them, or I have the kids check their own (often after I've already looked at them, and usually when there's something I think needs to be reinforced).

Sometimes I have the kids work with partners/groups to compare and discuss their responses, but I wouldn't necessarily consider this "checking." They're evaluating themselves, but not for the purpose of grading.