Do You Agree With This?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shirleyj, May 23, 2014.

1. shirleyj

shirleyj New Member

May 23, 2014

I've been reading all the wonderful advice given here for a while now, and now I have a question of my own.

We had 3 bad weather days this year where school was cancelled-one for ice and 2 for flooding. One was built into our calendar, one will be tacked on to the end of the year and the 3rd will be made up Monday. Whole teams of teachers (including the rest of mine) plan to call in "sick" because they disagree with the fact that we are going to be asked to work when so many people have off that day. Not that they already have plans or are traveling for the 3-day weekend, simply that they are mad we have to make up the day.

I don't agree with this at all. I think if the kids are supposed to make up a day of instruction that they are entitled to that. They are already expecting that subs will be scarce which means classes will be split up. I'm just curious to see if others would feel the same way.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

Is this a union action? You have to make up the day somewhere...I don't think it should be on such an honored Federal holiday...

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 23, 2014

I agree with you. I will be working my make-up days. In previous years, while in another state, I lost entire Spring Breaks, had to make up on Saturday, etc...

Our last day is on a Monday. I would almost rather give up Memorial Day than go that extra Monday. Celebrate the holiday at school. Most kids don't know the reason behind Memorial Day anyway. I'd teach it.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 23, 2014

On Memorial Day? Seriously?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 23, 2014

Yeah... I wouldn't cancel my Memorial Day plans to go in for a makeup day. My dad is a 20 year army vet, his dad was in WWII, HIS dad was in WWI, and I usually go back home to sing the National Anthem at the local parade.

Luckily, half of the kids in my class are military brats, so I'd be shocked if many of my kids showed up on Memorial Day, anyway, if my district did this.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 23, 2014

I agree that it is a bad choice to use Memorial Day to make up a missed day. It does sound like the day had to be made up someday.

I would have said my 2 cents to the admin. with my displeasure about school on Memorial Day. Now that it has been decided, I would go ahead and show up to teach.

I would make sure I teach the day my way. I'd make it would be a great day for the students and myself. I would make sure we celebrated Memorial Day in some way that day.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 23, 2014

If it was like us, it came down between Good Friday and Memorial Day to make it up. My district chose Good Friday and parents were upset about that too. I worked it, my only issue was finding child are because the daycare was closed.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 23, 2014

We're making up our one day next Monday. I wish we'd just have done it on Memorial Day. I hate that we're going just on Monday.

Our calendar is approved a year ahead. It lays out when days will be made up.

10. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

May 23, 2014

Lucky! We had to work Good Friday. Students are off Monday, but teachers have to go in for a workday. I have meeting off campus at 8:30 and then have to be back on Campus by 2 for another one. Hooray. :|:rolleyes:

11. PrincessDaisy

PrincessDaisy Rookie

May 23, 2014

I kept thinking, while reading this, "I've worked Memorial Day before and attended school as a child". Then, I remembered that was Veteran's Day.

12. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

May 23, 2014

This is the kind of behavior that causes people to believe that teachers are whiners. People always hate when things happen and the schedule has to be changed. But we have to deal with it. So what people are going to be off. Many others will be working. We have 5 days built into the year. If we use those days there is language in the contract that says the board will add makeup days where they see fit. This includes coming in on a day that was scheduled off, Saturday school, or adding an hour to the regular school day for seven days. We once added an hour to the regular day for 14 days, just to make up two days!!. I would have come in whenever they said to avoid that.

I would also suggest that you team member check with the union to see what kind of protection if any they would have if they all call in to protest this decision.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 23, 2014

It would be a cold day in hell before I'd ever agree to Saturday school.

14. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 23, 2014

But honestly, and especially considering you also live in VA (no union), who cares if you agree to it? Days HAVE to be made up. I live in an area that had a CRAZY number of snow days this year. We usually have 1- this year, we had 8. The schedules simply weren't designed for that. And we're adults- we understand that days have to be made up. You got paid for it; why shouldn't you work it?

Some of the districts in my area (7 districts within an hour drive) did Saturday schools, some did longer days, some added onto the end. 1 district did take Memorial Day. It didn't matter WHAT they chose- people whined. Parents whined, kids whined. I don't expect my coworkers to whine too, though. Seriously, sometimes life sucks. No matter when they do it, SOMEONE would have had plans that day. Having this attitude of "I wouldn't do it" doesn't help anyone.

And this mass call out plan is childish and honestly, I hope there are consequences.

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 23, 2014

I have had to teach on Memorial Day, I have to teach on Good Friday, I had a work day on a Saturday. Makes no difference to me, if my school says I gotta be there, I am there. Am I always happy about being there on days I think should be a holiday? No! But I am there because it's what is expected.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 23, 2014

I haven't used a personal day, ever, and I've only used two sick days in the past two years. If my district called Saturday school, that's fine, but they'd be doing it without my services for the day.

17. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 24, 2014

We are in a similar situation with makeup days, but they are giving us Memorial Day Monday off, instead making us come in on Saturday the 31st. I will be there, and I think most other teachers will be there as well. We had one other school day on Saturday this year due to the snow days, and I'd say there was definitely more teacher absences than usual because of child care conflicts and things like that, but not entire departments. Even most of the students came even though according to them it should be against the law to have school on Saturday.

18. shirleyj

shirleyj New Member

May 24, 2014

That's how I feel too. We are asked to do lots of things we may not agree with, but it's part of the expectations of our job.

I also think it sets a bad example for the kids when they show up and their teacher couldn't even bother to.

19. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 24, 2014

I am working Memorial Day this year. For the second year in a row (next year will be the third) Memorial Day is not a day off on my school calendar. I don't really agree with working it but Friday is my last day of school. I would rather come in Memorial Day then come in the following Monday.

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 24, 2014

As much as it stinks, I wouldn't call out if I was expected to be working and didn't already have plans. Did you know this was a possibility in the beginning of the year? We don't really do make up days (cause we NEVER get snow days) but in the districts where I live they tell which days will be make up days in the school calendar in the beginning of the year. So everyone is well aware ahead of time which days they might end up having to work/go to school.