Do you actually hand wash clothes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 11, 2012

I have quite a few pieces of clothing that say "hand wash only." I just throw them all in the washer, and they seem to be fine. It just seems like such a pain to hand wash a dress.

Does anyone actually follow "hand wash" directions?

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

The hand wash cycle on my washing machine is as close as I get!

4. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 11, 2012

I just throw it in with everything else. If I'm lucky I'll remember to hang to dry.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2012

If I buy something that needs to be hand washed, I probably liked it a lot and paid a lot for it, so I do hand wash.

The new machine has a really good gentle/hand wash cycle, so that would probably work, but I haven't chanced it yet.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 12, 2012

I used to... not so much anymore. I would if I were washing something really delicate, but otherwise I always do a small load on the hand wash cycle and then hang dry. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer, not sure what I'll do if it doesn't have that!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

For the most part, yes I do hand wash some of my items that say to hand wash them. Most of the are my special bras that I have to purchase through an online store (The Little Bra Company :D).

For a few other items, I throw them in one of those white zip baggies to protect them.

However, I do have a few items that say to dry clean. I never take them to dry cleaners since they use chemicals. So, I definitely hand wash those in cold water. Never had an issue with doing that either.

ETA: Also, while my mom washes things in the washer, she hangs everything up to dry (mainly, to save money on energy, but she also says that it makes the clothes lasts longer. Probably does, but usually after a couple of years, I'm ready to donate my clothes and buy new ones anyways. :D)

8. First School

First School Rookie

Jul 12, 2012

I generally use to buy which is comfortable with machine wash. It does like a hand wash and dry them as well. But i have semi automatic and i am planning to get a new one with fully automatic. Wash timer makes easy to work on it and reduce time.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2012

I have before but I usually just throw things in the machine now.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2012

I used to, but when I no longer had a washing machine available (had to use laundromat) it just wasn't practical at all. I discovered I didn't really need to hand wash about the same time I discovered that you don't really need to separate clothes into loads by similar colors. I purposely don't buy things that are hand wash only but sometimes I'll get something as a gift that is.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2012

Only when it's something I need clean in half an hour. I hand wash it then throw it into the dryer.

Drycleaning is a different matter. In fact, I really need to start getting my suits to the dry cleaners! I take a few at a time throughout the summer.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

I handwash everything that says to on the tag. My spanx, tights, bathing suits, and sweaters. I also have one dress that is handwash only. Maybe I shouldn't? lol.

I throw bras in the wash, but I prefer them to be taken out and line dried. Funny thing is my BF is way better about remembering to do that than I am.

Confession - I have three sweaters that are still sitting over my washer from LAST WINTER (like 2010-2011 winter) that I never washed and therefore never wore this winter. lol. Maybe I should have just thrown them in.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 12, 2012

I hand wash my bathing suits and bras. Also, any sweater that has the "hand wash" label.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2012

I handwash things with beads and stuff on them, sweaters and things I am afraid won't survive the wash and hang them to dry. I have one of those telescoping clothes dryer racks that pulls out from the wall which I really like.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

I really don't hand wash anything I can think of, but I do hang dry a lot of things. When we bought our house the previous owners had hung a shower rod high above the washer/dryer and it is super handy, I hang a lot of my husband's tshirts on it, of couse it doesn't help much with sweaters, but I don't have too many of those where I live ;)

16. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 12, 2012

This is exactly why I just decided to take my chances and chuck hand wash things in the washer. If it's not clean, I'm definitely not going to wear it.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2012

I think washing in cold water on the gentlest/most delicate cycle with Woolite is just as good. Who has time to hand wash!

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2012

I just turn it inside out and throw it in the washing machine. I have a little mesh bag for my bras and a larger one for larger items that I also use.

19. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 13, 2012

I use the hand wash cycle on the washing machine!

20. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

My biggest problem with handwashing isn't that it is time consuming, it's that it takes up space to air dry it. I just don't have anywhere good in my house to hang it.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2012

First time around I try to remember to hand wash or at the very least wash by itself the first time. After that, toss everything into the wash machine. I have a pretty summer dress that I always hand wash.

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2012

When I was in college, I had one of those wooden stands from Target. Now, since I only hand wash my special bras and a few items, I just throw them over the shower rack.

And I agree, it isn't time consuming at all. I wash them in the sink. Just turn on water, throw in some detergent, and throw in the garments. Walk away, cruise le internet, then rinse and hang.

23. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 13, 2012

I hand wash my bathing suit. The lady told me when I bought it that detergents have alcohol in them and that destroys the elastic in the suit. It's best to hand wash with shampoo r hand soap to pro long the life of your suit :)

24. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2012

When I lived alone, whenever I wore something handwash, I would throw it in the tub when I took it off. I kept a small bottle of woolite in the tub. I would just wash it the next time I was in the shower! lol.

25. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 13, 2012

I hand wash. I live in an apartment and use a laundry room, so there is no "hand wash cycle," and I wouldn't trust their machines anyway. Maybe when we one day have our own washer and dryer, it'll be different. My hand wash only shirts are all extremely light weight and dry super fast.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2012

My mom lives in an apartment, and sometimes doesn't feel like going down to the basement to use the washer and dryer. She has one of those racks. They fold up to nothing when you're not using them. When she does hand wash, she puts the rack into the tub (to catch the drops) and it works out great!

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

Yes, that's exactly what I've done was set the stand in the tub. :)

I also live in an apartment and, like Yellow, I wouldn't trust using the machines to wash hand-wash items.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2012

I mainly use the gentle cycle on my washer, but I will hand wash a piece here and there if I want it before I have enough items to make a load for the machine.

I hang delicates on plastic hangers and hang them under the awning on my back porch. If it's really cold, I'll hang them in my shower. I installed a shower rod in the middle of my shower just for that purpose.