Do you accept every interview invite?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachCafe, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 19, 2018

For practice?

I had an interview last week at a great school in a fabulous district. I'm hoping and praying I hear something this week. Now today I get an interview invite from another school in the district that is VERY far away.

On Bing and Google it looks far but actually driving it is worse I know because I have been out that way for leisure and it took me 45 minutes. So factoring in traffic and car wear and tear I would need to leave by 6am maybe even a little earlier. Hypothetically.

The school I interviewed at in 45 minutes away but I can make it 25 leisure driving and there are tons of short cuts to get most of the way there.

This new interview is in the thick of traffic and kind of intimimnating because it's a non-Title 1 school area. Extrememly non-Title 1. I've never been called for a school like this so I'm intrigued by the offer. I didn't even apply for that school due to the location. But they called anyway.

1. I want to call to see what they want to interview me for because I only see 2 positions open . One for a sped position and one for anything general ed. With my background it could be for the sped position and that is not what I want right now.

Thoughts?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2018

I wouldn't have put in an application if you are dead set against it based on distance. That's just me, however. If you have SPED certification, I wouldn't list it if you don't want to teach it.

a2z likes this.
  4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 19, 2018

I would call to get more information.
    If you are a great at interviews and are certain you can find something closer then I wouldn't go.
    If you need the practice, and are getting towards desperation mode to receive an offer then yes, go.

a2z likes this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2018

That really depends on how bad you need a job.

As someone who sits on interview committees, I will say that is is aggravating to wade through applications and schedule interviews to find out that the applicant really isn’t interested in our school.

a2z likes this.
  6. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jun 19, 2018

I applied in the district and selected schools that are closer to where I live and there are a lot of them so this call was a surprise. I checked and I definitely didn't apply for that school.

pommom, I think I'm good at interviews. I've gotten almost every job I've ever interviewed for. I just got a we picked someone else email from an interview at the end of last month that really bummed me out so now I'm second-guessing myself on interviewing because I thought it went really well.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2018

I would only go on the interview if there is even the slightest chance that you might accept the job. If you already know that your answer to their offer would be "no", then don't waste your time or theirs.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MissScrimmage likes this.
  9. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Jun 19, 2018

When thinking about interviewing I would say that interviewing in teaching is quite different from some other fields, so for anyone who is newish to teaching interviews I wouldn't worry too much about not getting the first few jobs but remain open to how to improve interviews specifically for the teaching field. Teaching is competitive in many areas and you really do need to interview well to get a position.

As for if you should take an interview, I think you have to think about your own situation. I wouldn't consider that length of drive to be a problem at all. If it is a dealbreaker for you, turn it down. However, recognize that the way we get the job we really want is sometimes by taking a job that isn't perfect and gaining experience.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2018

Ummm . . . nobody said anything about taking a long time to schedule an interview. And the OP didn't apply to this district, they just called. o_O

I was saying that if someone has no interest in working in a district (too far, not preferred demographic, etc.) then they shouldn't be wasting their time and ours. If the OP is "intrigued" by the interest of the school, but not seriously interested in the job, then decline the interview. Getting together interview committees in the summer is not always easy. Yes, we want to best person for the job, but don't want to spend time on people who aren't truly interested.

a2z and teacherintexas like this.
  11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 19, 2018

It seems kind of like a red flag to me that they need to call people who didn't apply- why are they struggling to get applicants, especially if I'm correctly assuming that "extremely non title 1" means this is a wealthy community?

If there is even a slight chance that you're interested in the district, I'd call and find out what position you'd be interviewing for and go from there. I once got called for a job I didn't apply for, got to the interview and found that it was a .5 position. I usually verify the position when accepting interviews, but was just so surprised in this case that I didn't think to.

There have been multiple cases where I haven't accepted interviews:

1) I was looking to move to my current city, which was 3 hours away at the time. I got a call for a K-8 sped position, which I think is nuts. Even if there aren't that many kids, K-8?? I wasn't going to waste 6 hours driving for a job I knew I didn't want.

2) I did a preliminary phone interview for a position that was posted as "primary teacher." I asked at the end what the specific position was and was told that it was a "2nd year Kindergarten" class for students who weren't ready to move on to 1st due to academic and behavioral needs. They were going to "try" to keep the class under 20. There would be no aide or co-teacher or anything like that. An entire class with academic and behavioral needs with no models? No thanks. At that point it was a "don't waste my time or theirs" situation.

3) My state does a statewide anonymous "teaching and learning conditions" survey for each school. If 50% or more of the teachers respond, your results are published. I looked up a school I'd interviewed with and their results were terrible. At the end the survey asks you to agree or disagree with something like, "This school is a good place to work and learn." I was in an absolute hellhole of a school at the time where apparently 30% of the people were drinking the koolaid enough to answer positively. At this school I interviewed with, literally 4% (probably one person?) answered positively. I can't imagine. I declined a 2nd interview.

12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 19, 2018

Which state? If it's mine, I want to look mine up.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 19, 2018

I'm in CO. Presumably you're not, because if you were you would have taken the survey yourself.

teacherintexas likes this.
  14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

I think sometimes districts will pull all applicants who applied to anything, even if they didn’t apply to the exact opening for which the interviews are being conducted. The OP did apply to the district. She just didn’t check a single box on the application saying that she was interested in this school. They may not have looked closely at that particular page of the application when calling candidates to offer interviews. They may have just been looking for the best candidates who applied at all and are offering interviews.

I think it’s totally fine to decline if not interested. My school did this recently. We called in a guy to interview for a 3rd/4th grade opening for which he hadn’t applied. He applied for a 5th/6th opening. Thinking it wasn’t much different between the grades at our school, my principal offered him an interview. It sure was awkward at the very end of the interview when he tried to verify that it was a 5th/6th grade position and then had to say that he didn’t think he’d applied for 3rd/4th. Waste of time for everyone. Just turn it down if you don’t want the job no matter what.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    a2z likes this.
  16. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018

17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

Oh yeah, there's definitely a difference. In our district though, 3rd-6th aren't as different as second or seventh would be from any of those grades in between. Of course, that's unique to our district and not everyone would know that. In fact, I think this guy thought he was interviewing at a middle school, not an elementary school. It seems he just didn't do his research in full. My principal did inform the guy of the grade level when he called to offer him an interview, and the guy admitted that he was busy with feeding his kids dinner when he took the phone call and probably wasn't paying close enough attention to the details that my principal gave him. This particular guy won't be on the radar for future openings, but I agree that it could work that way for others.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018

19. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018

20. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 20, 2018

I agree with you there. That said, I imagine it has something to do with district policies that teachers can be moved into positions for anything that they are certified to teach, at the district's discretion - sometimes with teacher input and sometimes not. Even if hired for a grade-level you originally wanted, five years down the road they could move you to one that you don't want. For example, a fourth grade teacher being moved to first grade because the principal decides to switch up teams of teachers or because the number of sections per grade level needs to change based on population. My contract explicitly states that I can be moved at any time. So, I would guess that, if they are willing to move the teachers that they already have on staff to different grade levels, then they assume that the same goes for candidates who are interviewing. Even if they hire you for a position that you want, you might get moved the next year to one you don't want.

21. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2018