Do we have the right to be invasive just "because we can?"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vickilyn, Mar 28, 2015.

1. a2z

a2z Maven

Mar 31, 2015

But the conclusions drawn about you based on your available personal information may influence how they see your ability to do your job. Hypothetically, they may look at your expensive house from the real estate records and determine that the reason you do certain things certain ways is that you are wealthy. They may find you in your church activities and determine based on their outside information about your religion that you think a certain way and that may impact any interaction between you and the parent. They may be completely wrong in their assumption or assertions, but is that any different than FB stalking and looking at information out of context and determining that is why a student is struggling and making assumptions about the parent based on on-line profiles.

We already saw the negative attitudes because someone was a stripper (which last I knew was a legal occupation in many, if not all, states).

2. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 31, 2015

Maybe some of it depends on where you are. I work in a small town. For the teachers who live there, it's already common knowledge how much their houses are, where they worship, etc... You can't go out to dinner or grocery shopping without running into a bunch of parents. That's what happens when you have three restaurants and one grocery. Many are members of the same church. There's not a lot parents don't already know about the teachers who live in the community.

Those of us who live elsewhere have some more privacy. We don't usually run into parents all over town.

In a bigger district, you can enjoy a little anonymity. I live in a pretty large city. Most of the teachers here don't run into parents and students the way you do in a small town.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 31, 2015

Or maybe that is just an illusion.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2015

As far as the anonymity goes... I work in one of the fifteen largest school districts in the country. About a week after school started this year, I got a call from my sister-in-law, who lives in New York, an 8 hour drive away. She asks me if I have a particular student in my classroom. I ask why, she says because her grandma says hi, and that I should let her know if the student needs anything. Grandma and my sister-in-law have been working together for about ten years now.

Granted, the odds of that happening every year are fairly slim, but being in a large district is no guarantee of anonymity.

As far as the idea that parents maybe didn't lock up their facebook as well as they would have wanted... so? Is that the fault of somebody who finds their page? If something is publicly available, and if you yourself have made it publicly available, you don't get to cry foul because somebody looks at it.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

To be perfectly honest (and maybe blunt), I couldn't care less about assumptions people may make about me based on what they google. If they want to make negative assumptions, that is their right, but I don't let it affect me.

I guess after 40+ years in the classroom I have developed a very thick skin. However, I have never had a parent lodge a complaint against me and I don't think anyone has actually told me that they googled me.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 31, 2015

I don't think a little anonymity is an allusion. I didn't say a ton. I live in a large district. I have teachers on my street. They can go to dinner at a local place or go grocery shopping without necessarily seeing anyone. It doesn't mean they won't, it just means they could. In the district I work in, you are almost 100% guaranteed to run into a student or parent no matter where you're at in town. We're just that small.

7. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Mar 31, 2015

OP of original thread here...when I creep through the profiles of my students parents, im usually just confirming what I already know or think. When a child is always talking about breast, smoking weed, and fighting, but I never see the parent and can't ever get them on the phone, I look on on facebook to see who I'm dealing with. When I find the picture of mother in the strip club, dressed in full gear with a blunt in her hand, it helps me understand what the child may be exposed to. I don't live the life of my students and I don't make home visits. I like to get a glimpse of where they come from to better help me understand them. If I have 100% of my parents coming to the school to meet me I don't think I'd be interested in looking at their facebooks. However, I've only met 50% of my students parents. My school has 45% mobility so they come and go like crazy, so it helps to get a quick look into the child's life.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Mar 31, 2015

I agree, living in a big metropolitan city has its anonymity, but it can feel like a small world at the same time. If I lived in the neighborhood I teach in, I'd run into students constantly. But most days I don't elsewhere.

I once ran into a student at a Chuck E Cheese (there are a few around here) and another at Coney Island, both are in Brooklyn, which I don't live or have taught in.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 31, 2015

Yeah, I live 45 minutes away and still see the occasional student, though it's usually graduates. If I lived in the closest town from us (about 20 minutes), I'd run in to a lot more!

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2015

My teammate ended up on a transatlantic flight with one of her students last summer. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when she realized that was happening.

11. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Mar 31, 2015

I don't think its an illusion at all. I live in and work in a district that serves over a hundred thousand students. Many of the students go to the school in their neighborhood and since I don't teach in the school located in my, I don't see my students outside of school. Yes every blue moon, I might run into some one at the largest mall here, but even that doesn't happen every school year. In all my years teaching, I've never run into a student or their parent when out to dinner. Now if I worked in my neighborhood's school, it might be a little different.

As too the OP, I see nothing wrong with what she is doing. I looked up a parent on facebook when she came to my classroom ranting and raving about her angels conduct grade. She was a recent transfer and this as my first encounter with her since she didn't see fit to meet me on his first in my class. I found out that she moves her kids from school to school as soon as she doesn't get her way. Now I know how to deal with her in the future.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 31, 2015

I am simply curious - what did you learn that showed you how to deal with her in the future?

13. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Mar 31, 2015

Since I found out she'll move her kid at any givin time for the silliest of reasons, I had withdrawal papers ready when we met again for a conference. I knew she would pull the "do what I want or I will pull my kid out card" so I just made it easier for her to accomplish her goal. This kid is in K and I was his third teacher. When she saw that I was ready for her she backed down and listened to what I had to say.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong. If you don't want people to see what you do in private, then don't make it public on FB. A simple click on the setting will resolve the problem.