Do we have the right to be invasive just "because we can?"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by vickilyn, Mar 28, 2015.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2015

Another post truly revolted me - a teacher who spies on the parents of her students, pretty much because social media is available, and she doesn't seem to have the self control to distinguish between intrusion of privacy and her idle curiosity. My question is this - is anything that any other person has ever posted, at any age, under any circumstances, fair game for those who can't control their curiosity? And if you are on-board with spying on others, are you just as comfortable having the tables turned on you, your life, pictures that you may have been tagged in, or mentions that may have been made by others about you or your actions on any of the social media?

Where does the right to privacy begin and end, and the right to invade privacy override common decency?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

I'm going to stop you here. Social media lets you set privacy settings. Some things I make available to friends only, some to friends of friends, some to anybody. If somebody has something posted privately, and I find a way to BYPASS that security, that would be an invasion of privacy. If somebody has something posted publicly, or if somebody posted something available to friends-of-friends, and we have a mutual friend, that isn't an invasion of privacy. It's the system working exactly the way I have set it up to work.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

Example... I had two friends from college that I have fallen out of touch with that I happened to find on Facebook. Before adding them as a friend, I looked at their page to make sure I had the right person. One friend had absolutely everything available to me, either because they had set everything to public or friends-of-friends. I was not invading this person's privacy, I was not spying on them. I was using the site in exactly the way it is intended to be used, and exactly how this person wanted their page to be used. The second friend, I saw absolutely nothing except a cover picture until she accepted my friend request. Again, I didn't spy on this person or invade this person's privacy. They set up their page to be used in a specific way, and I used it as was intended.

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 28, 2015

:thumb:

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

There are much worse things in the world to be revolted by. I fail to see how it could be considered "spying" when a Facebook page is public unless otherwise set.

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Mar 28, 2015

I set my pages to private and expect others to do the same. If an adult posts things on the internet publically, it is fair game. I'm not looking this stuff up actively (Except sometimes I might look up a parent who threatens me with legalese to see if they are actually a lawyer and they never are), but I won't publicly condemn those who do either. I find an attacking post after you've said your peace on that thread much more ethically suspect. These are adults intentionally letting the world know about their various activities.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 28, 2015

If someone willingly and publicly posts something on social media, I'm not sure how it is an invasion of privacy if someone looks at it. That being said, I have no interest in either posting about my own life or looking into the lives of others. But that's my personal choice.

I think you might be being a little harsh. Sorry...

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 28, 2015

:thumb:

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 28, 2015

Well said! :2cents:

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2015

When I went to work at a very large school, we spent an entire morning in orientation going over the dangers of not getting the social media totally locked down, googling ourselves and others to see just how much about us is out there, a lot of it that people weren't aware of, and hearing the horror stories of people being tagged in photos that might not portray the image they want public, etc.

This was a presentation to a group of college graduates, many not right out of school, and still they weren't aware of just how exposed they were. Do we all get it locked down perfectly? What if the person who has time on their hands does go beyond the norm in their curiosity? The fact that the original poster had no qualms about sharing with us that one mother was a stripper, and another seemed affiliated with gangs seemed judgmental, when coupled with the comments about the parents involvement.

What if a child in a family is posting information/pictures that share family information? The parents could be exposed without being aware. In an ideal world all parents would be on top of everything their children are up to, but if that were true, we would be less concerned about cyberbullying and sexting, wouldn't we?

Oh, I wish it was a perfect system and a perfect world, but the only behavior we can truly be in charge of is our own. I also wish that the term spying on parents didn't bother me as much as it does. It is an imperfect world.

Where does the right to privacy begin and end, and the right to invade privacy override common decency?

12. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 28, 2015

Oh, the irony.

13. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Mar 28, 2015

Hey girl, my nosy gene brought me here. First of all, intrusion of privacy? You're acting like I hacked their computers or something. I Simply typed in a name. Why? Because I can. People look up other people on facebook all the time, including our employeers. So to answer your question, yes I am okay with having the tables turned on me seeing as it is 2015 and this is the world we live in. I am certain all of my parents and coworkers have searched for me online.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 28, 2015

Sometimes, it can be beneficial to see what our students are putting out there for public (which FB is) consumption. Personally, I haven't searched for my students, but some of the other teachers on my team have. We have found out that way when a couple of our students are dealing with major problems.

The funny thing is that my students CONSTANTLY kid me about their stalking me on FB, even though all they can tell is when I've changed my pictures. Why do they do it? Because they are curious about who I am outside of school. They won't take my word for it that I'm boring.

15. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 28, 2015

I think anything on the internet is fair game. I already know I'm nosy, and unapologetic about it. I simply think it's a part of my curious nature.

16. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2015

Any information that is public is fair game. The question then becomes the motivation of those looking for the information and how they use that information. Not everything you see is what it seems. The purpose of the motivation and the judgment that comes with it may actually be more harmful for the student than the find.

17. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2015

ICAM. Although, I don't even have the energy or desire to spy on "strangers" - which is what I consider my students' parents.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2015

I guess this is just me, but I don't see this as a good thing.

If a child and their family members want to share personal or home information with the school's staff - that's one thing. But, I don't want to stumble upon information that is none of my business and then feel responsible for dealing with this knowledge. It is a slippery slope.

19. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Mar 28, 2015

Posters can control who sees what with privacy settings on their accounts.

20. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2015

The one difference I see between social media public profile settings and real public settings is how information is obtained.

Would it be creepy if I knew that Joe's dad frequented a certain bar so I went there to see what goes on in Joe's dad's life? It wouldn't be creepy if I went to the bar and Joe's dad just happened to be there. I would get a glimpse into Joe's dad's behavior at a bar, but it wouldn't be intentional.

If Joe's dad popped up on your wall (?) because he was a friend of a friend, it wouldn't be creepy. You just happened to bump into him on social media (or he bumped into you). However, actively seeking out Joe's dad is like going to the bar to see what he is up to. That is why the kids call it "creeping" on someone. It goes beyond running into someone. The intention is not to become friends with them on social media but to look without them knowing.

It is public. You can look. You might have to wade through 563 Joe Smith's to find the person, but you can go creep on him. It is true. Posters can lock down their profiles, but you don't typically find someone's profile unless you go looking for it.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2015

Not only that, but they can control what they post and what goes on their wall.

If you don't post political rants, family drama, drunken escapades, or provocative photos, then nobody is going to see what does not exist.

And if other people include you in their political rants, family drama, drunken escapades or provocative photos, you can control if that ends up on your wall on a case by case basis.

Every once and a while one of my FB friends tags me in a photo where I look either too fat or too goofy. I just don't allow it on my wall. My facebook friends never see it unless they are friends with the person who posted the picture.

22. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2015

Facebook is the:

[​IMG]

23. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2015

Facebook helps me maintain friendships with people I can't see very often, and it lets me stay a part of the life of some of my best friends. Facebook lets me see my godson grow up, and it lets me see the daily accomplishments of my nieces. I'm not only going to disagree with you, I'm going to say I actually take offense to this particular characterization.

24. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 29, 2015

Facebook...the devil? really???? I know many religious people who use Facebook to share their ideas. Many people who use it in a positive way. That is as ridiculous as saying that IPADs, the computer, or music is the devil. It isn't Facebook, but how it is used, that makes it good or bad.

stephenpe, I usually like your posts, but I am really surprised that you posted that.

25. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2015

Ha ha! Stephenpe.

Even the devil lets a little good happen to attract the masses.

Sure there is some good on FB. It also shows a lot of the evil of humanity in the open and the detached nature of it encourages the worst in many.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 29, 2015

I suppose evil is in the eye of the beholder as well. It's how I maintain contact with family and friends around the world, not to mention gain support for my running training (my husband finds my choice of fitness incredibly boring).

27. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Mar 29, 2015

I laughed at the devil comment. Pretty sure that was not intended to be taken seriously.

Facebook is great and terrible depending on who's looking you up. Long-lost friend? Awesome! Your boss? Uh-oh!

28. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Mar 29, 2015

I agree. Boy, you sure have to be careful what you say around here. :whistle:

Personally, I hate Facebook because 1) I find the obligation to comment on everyone's little tidbits of life information annoying, 2) way too many people - particularly teachers - have been caught posting inappropriate things and it's had serious consequences for them, 3) I read a study that said that people tended to be more depressed after going on Facebook and seeing how great everyone else's lives were. :p, 5) it's a time sucker, and 6) If I'm going to be tempted to overshare, I'd rather do it here where I'm relatively anonymous.

So for those of you that enjoy, Mazel Tov. But, for me, I'm with Stephenpe. ;)

29. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2015

I have a long standing joke about calling FB of the devil because quite often we have a thread about how dangerous it is to friend students, parents, admin, former students, God, Bill Cosby etc ect etc so I have some fun calling it of the Devil, Today I went imagery instead, as for ME?
    I love FB and have many parents and former students as friends. I used it all the time. I think it is great. Now some of the stuff some of my moronic "friends" post is crazy but I just delete it or ingore it. FB is great. Do not fear, it embrace it and all its possibilites..........

30. Tealsmith

Tealsmith Rookie

Mar 30, 2015

Facebook is as good or as bad as the people using it. $.02

31. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Mar 30, 2015

100%

with that said, I'm not a Facebook user in the tradtional sense. I belong to 2-3 facebooks groups to know what's happening (like boy scouts), I'm also an admin for our main russians in our area group.

Personally, I don't use Facebook to keep up with anybody or post anything, because for me it's too distracting. I like face-to-face communications better

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 30, 2015

1) I don't comment on anything, anywhere, unless I have something brilliant to say.

2) That's their problem, not mine.

3) Not seeing it. People post their drama and clearly demonstrate their lives are no less crappy or any more wonderful than my own.

4) Must have been deleted

5) Not if you don't feel any obligation to comment on stuff. I just scroll down my newsfeed a few times a day and look for anything interesting and that's it.

6) These days, I don't overshare even if I'm "relatively anonymous." I think that anonymity is one of the problems of the internet today. The hundreds of racist and bigoted comments you see on any news story about the president, race, or religion would not be there if each person posting it had to identify themselves with their full name. Their's an old saying - "Don't write checks with your mouth that your a## can't cover."

Well, today the internet allows you to do exactly that.

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 31, 2015

Love it.
    I almost never post anything on FB and learned to put people on ignore if their postings annoy me too much. Otherwise, I keep up with past coworkers and long lost cousins. I use the message feature with sisters and daughter. Works for me. I don't care what other people do with it.

34. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2015

If you think of trolling through pictures posted publicly on Facebook is "spying", then you have no idea what spying is, or what's available online to someone who actually knows how to get it and is willing to spend a few bucks.

35. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

If you think of spying as "international spying". But even kids use the term "spying" on someone when they look to see what someone is doing when no one is looking.

36. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2015

If Billy looks through Suzy's desk (her personal space) without permission, that's spying. If Billy looks through a scrapbook that Suzy has made and brought to class, that isn't spying.

To me, the word "spying" implies a lack of consent. If somebody has made something of theirs publicly available, then looking through it isn't spying. If I steal somebody's facebook password and look through the stuff they have as private, then it becomes spying.

37. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 31, 2015

I think it's funny how defensive everyone is about how and how often they use Facebook, due to people being so judgmental.

Screw that. I love Facebook. I post, I comment, I play games, I do whatever I want simply because I like it. I don't really care about people's judgment about it.

38. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

We talk about how it is not spying on FB because the information is public. Since this thread isn't only about FB but about being invasive just because we can, I wonder how others feel about someone looking up any or all public records about teachers or parents. People know many of their activities become public record. Is everyone who think it is not spying or invasive to go look for parents (or others) on FB be ok with parents looking up all public records on a teacher - just because they can.

39. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2015

I was thinking the same thing. I also love Facebook.

40. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

I don't particularly care who looks up public info about me. They aren't going to find anything alarming.

I have googled myself and nothing comes up except school, real estate, and church activities.

41. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2015

But what if the young parents that OP was looking up weren't as knowledgeable or as smart as some of us on their computers? What if they were blissfully unaware, no matter how naive that sounds, that their gang affiliations or the fact that mom was a stripper was that easy to access? Should we assume that everyone is as locked down as they should be or as aware of their digital footprint? If they are not as experienced, informed, educated, or prudent as we are, should we go looking just because we can? Especially if what is found clouds the perception and possibly the assumptions and resultant mind set of the person educating their young sons and daughters? Is OP doing them a service by creeping through their life on digital media, or will the information be shared with other teachers, coloring future perceptions of the students, without ever sharing why? Just wondering. . .