Do Turkey Stories/Songs Bother You?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Nov 15, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 15, 2014

The stories and songs are all about the turkey trying to escape being dinner-I don't know it seems a bit violent to me. I tried to find the link again, but a teacher posted an activity they did on the Scholastic site and the students were writing about being a turkey and being afraid of axes. :confused: I teach them facts about wild turkeys and when we write from the perspective of a turkey, etc., it's not about the dinner version.

Is it just me?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 15, 2014

Our librarian was just sharing an activity her son did where he had to disguise a turkey by coloring it something else. He loved it. Her daughter also enjoyed it when she did it a few years ago. I thought it was cute. We are in a rural area though, so a lot of our kids are used to the fact that their dinner comes from their farm.

I don't think I'd like anything graphic about running away from axes though...

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2014

For what it is worth, I just had an adult get up and leave the room yesterday when I was saying that I wish there were more hunters, since we have killed 3 deer in the last month with our cars. My word of advice to all my driving students is to tell them that behind the wheel in NJ, we all hunt deer, like it or not, because there are so many of them in very populated areas. If a college educated teacher can't accept that fact, I would HATE young students to get the idea of turkeys and axes. Most young students don't know where their food comes from, and I don't think that is the way I would want to broach the subject. I would be concerned about such an activity too. :eek:

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Nov 16, 2014

I had the same observation. It surprised me how many were like that. Weird.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2014

I don't think axes have been used in a very long time....

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 16, 2014

I never gave it any thought. There are so many other things to worry about.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 16, 2014

That was the student response in the writing they posted on the Scholastic site.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2014

I know...just seems to silly...
    Even back in the day it seems odd to think of people running around with axes.....they used a gun or spear.... LOL

Just funny how our society "puts" that image out there!!

10. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

Depends on what part of the country you are in. I've taught at some schools where hunting is a favorite hobby of many. I do like your approach in teaching the factual part of the topic. However, I am reminded of my Dad telling me how his city cousin sat down at the breakfast table on the farm and announced "I'll only be drinking milk that has come from the grocery store". To which my dad's uncle announced "Son, where do you think your grocery store milk came from?"

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2014

Dr. Gator-I do understand kids should understand where their food comes from-I just think Kinder is a little young for that. I've overheard conversations where one is talking about how they eat chickens and other kids laughing and saying that's just ridiculous. I could point out that they ate chicken nuggets for lunch, but I feel like I'm bursting a bubble.

I just noticed that every turkey story is the turkey trying to escape being dinner-I'm sure there are other capers turkeys could get into! ;)