Do they usually tell you about the benefits and insurance packages at interviews?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by thewife, Apr 25, 2013.

1. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

I had an interview for a first grade position yesterday. I was wondering if it is normal to spend 30 minutes to go over the benefits, retirement, and insurance package. I have not really had any of the other interviewees be so specific about it. I have to wait until next week to hear anything. I did also find out that usually 100-200 applicants apply for a position and he only interviews 5-10 applicants per position. I think it is a great honor to get an interview in the market now, but hopefully get a job soon.

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Is it a public or private school? If its private I could see them doing this to ensure you that the school offers something at all. In my state all state employees as far as I know have the same insurance benefits. None of the interviews I went on for teaching positions mentioned insurance or benefits at all. A ISS Parapro interview did mention that I would be eligible for state benefits but I think that was just because it maybe wasn't implied to some people.

4. thewife

thewife Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

It is a public school. Hopefully it is s good indication that I am being considered for the position. But it is the first time that I have interviewed with this school, maybe it is typical.

5. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Apr 26, 2013

All schools and interviews are different. From reading all the posts on here I'm seeing that everyone does stuff a little differently. I hope in your case that this was a good sign.

Make sure to update here if you get it!

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 26, 2013

That never happened for me in a "First round" interview. It happened only in the "formality" interview with the asst. super. after I was selected.

7. thewife

thewife Rookie

May 1, 2013

Well, I didn't get a call today. So, I guess I didn't get thejob. I was told they should know by today. I was reaally hoping for this one. Just another disapointment:(

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 1, 2013

Not something we cover until offer is made.

.:hugs:

9. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 1, 2013

I have looked up the benefit information on the district websites, but it has never been discussed in an interview. I am very much hoping to get a position in the district that pays 100% of the premiums for the employee :) My husband could take me off his policy and pay much less.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 1, 2013

We don't usually talk about the contract until a job offer is made. So my thoughts is it is a good sign, but all districts are different.

Sorry you didn't hear today, but still hoping for some good news.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 1, 2013

I'm find it very common this year for them to tell me the starting salary when scheduling an interview, but that is because most of them are requiring you to begin on step 1 and I have several years of experience. But no insurance and benefits.

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 2, 2013

Usually salary and benefits are discussed when you sign a contract.