Do they usually conduct interviews for subbing jobs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ShoelessGal, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I received this e-mail today and was never interviewed. I'm assuming I got a subbing job in CT? Do they usually not interview for subbing?

Dear *************,

Application submitted, fingerprinting and paperwork needed
    Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher with the ********* Schools. This email is to inform you that you have successfully submitted the online application for this position.
    The following documents are required for completion of new-hire paperwork:
    Driver's License
    Social Security Card
    Transcripts (verifying that a Bachelor's Degree has been awarded)
    Copy of Connecticut teacher certification (if applicable)
    Voided Check (for mandatory direct deposit)

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I don't think I was ever interviewed for a sub job, other than my LTS job. It sounds like you are going to be a sub for the district as long as they receive your other documentation. :)

4. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I'll take it! At least I don't have to worry about finding a job when I move this month. :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2012

I don't think you got a job, just that your application was received and the other documentation needs to be submitted before you can be called to sub. Doesn't seem like a guarantee, but it's a start.

6. Jen84

Jen84 Companion

Aug 7, 2012

One of the districts I sub for conducted interviews, the other did not. Once I was told that I would be added to the sub pool, I had to bring in my driver's license, social security card, and a voided check. I know every district operates differently, but since they are asking for those documents, it makes me think you've been added as a sub.

7. FT2012

FT2012 Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

Is it a long-term position? I have heard of Ps interviewing subs for those positions. I just moved from CT and some districts require student teachers to go through an interview process. They want to make sure that people are a "good fit" for their students. There are some districts (the more rich areas) that really put people through the ringer to get a job.

If it's not a long-term position, then they don't usually bother. Also, what type of a district did you apply to? I worked in an urban district and subs were in high demand. All they cared about was having someone in the classroom for the day. The fact that you applied and had the desire to work there was all they needed to hire you.

8. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 7, 2012

When I got hired as a sub, they send me an email similar to the one you received. When I called them to find out my next move, they scheduled me for a substitute orientation where they did a short interview, and did fingerprints, made copies of our documents, etc.
    My county held orientation once or twice a month for new subs.
    Good luck! (the interview was basic, just to find out if we had any clue about teaching so I did fine)

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 7, 2012

One district interviewed me the other two did not. I was already certified though after the 1st one so that may have been why they didn't interview.

10. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 7, 2012

In my area per diem subs go through an orientation after approval. Long term subs are always interviewed. This sounds like you are not yet approved for per diem subbing. You have to finish the paperwork and then probably meet with hr or go to a training session.

11. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Aug 7, 2012

When I subbed (per diem), I had a group interview for one district, and a one-on one interview with a principal for another district. So I guess each district varies with its rules regarding subs.

In my case though, both interviews were just formalities. Just a little bit of a "describe yourself" talk, then they handed out paperwork for me to sign and send back. Then I just had to wait for board approval.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I never interviewed for a sub job, either. Usually interviews are only held for long term positions.

Since there is no commitment, there isn't really a need to interview. Worst case scenario for the district is that kids had a bad teacher for 1 day and the sub is never called again.

13. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

In Pennsylvania they interview their substitutes. When I subbed in Maryland, ... one school system had to interview me because they had over 4,000 subs while the other just squeezed me in, no questions asked.

It depends on how large your school system is and how many substitute teachers they got. PA has smaller school systems by townships as Maryland is organized by counties.

Good luck!

14. Johari's Window

Johari's Window Companion

Aug 8, 2012

:eek:Not here. I just registered and became one of the "lucky" 100 to get a seat for orientation. All I have to do is bring a transcript.

15. ShoelessGal

ShoelessGal Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

I'll be honest. Upon receiving the substitute offer, I realized that I really really wanted something long-term. I've been more motivated as ever to score a last minute teaching position, even if it's as an assistant. The little pay with no benefits really makes me cringe.

16. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

Sometimes, you have to start from the bottom to get recognized. It is also an excellent opportunity to get to know the culture of a school system while applying for a job with them. If you do well, you will get called in frequently (probably everyday) and have long-term sub offers.

True, there are no benefits. Sadly most entry level positions in the business world don't offer benefits. That is the nature of the economy right now. But it's better than working retail or waiting tables for minimum wage. A lot of "career substitutes" will work two jobs to cover their costs, so you may want to apply for a second job that offers benefits.

17. WanderinTeacher

WanderinTeacher Rookie

Aug 8, 2012

I've been interviewed for sub jobs. Good luck!