Do they look at your portfolio?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by My3kloves, Jul 23, 2013.

1. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

I've brought my portfolio to every interview but don't invite them to look at it. :blush: they don't ask either. I've had 3 interviews for an aide position with all 3 offering me the job.

But they may not have a need to see it for an aide position. I just got back from a teacher interview and they didn't ask to look nor did I share.

What do you all do?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2013

I've interviewed with over 30 schools/districts since graduating and not one of them have asked to see it. You have to work it in.
    They ask about differentiation? I talk about analyzing data and I flip to the data section.
    They ask about how I plan? I flip to sample lesson plans.
    They ask about my favorite unit or how I incorporated technology? I get out my iPad with a video of it.

Sometimes they ask to look at it after a few glimpses, but most of the time they still don't ask.

4. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 23, 2013

In the packet that I gave to each person in the interview was a brochure I made outlining what was in my portfolio, a brief description of it and most importantly what standard it represented. I referred to the brochure then passed my portfolio to the interviewer closest to me to pass around. Some looked more in depth than others. It took a lot of work to put all that together so I definitely got it into their hands. I only went on two interviews, but I was offered both jobs.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I agree. I refer to mine during interviews and offer them the chance to look at it. Most at least glance through it, but I had one that outright said no. I think they had someone else in mind for the job, because they didn't seem interested in me at all during the interview.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 24, 2013

This! :thumb:

If you don't have an iPad to pull out (like me) I just took screenshots and used a program called Jing to type notes over the screenshot to point out important features. I did this to show how I used a Moodle course for my classroom.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I agree with other pps, work it in. I worked it into my last interview and my p couldn't stop looking and it and it generated more questions. I got the job, I don't know if that was due to it but i do think it helped.

8. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 24, 2013

I think they're good for new teachers. I have one but no one has asked to look at it, and the one time I just passed it around, they just briefly glanced at it. I've been hired for two LTS jobs without anyone ever looking at it, and had a certain offer for another position during which no one ever looked at it, either. Oh, and just remembered, I brought it to a third grade interview for a permanent, contracted job, and flipped it open a few times and they couldn't have have cared less. I got the job, though!

I honestly don't think employers really care about portfolios. I think this is something colleges designed to get their students thinking and doing some critical analysis of their teaching. It's really an academic excercise.

Just like some schools borrow medical technology terms like doing "rounds" they are borrowing art/business terms like "portfolio" in an effort to sound more professional (or lofty and holier than thou, depending on how you look at it).

9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 24, 2013

They won't ask to see it. You have to use it like Giraffe has outlined. MAKE them look at it! Use it to support your answers and really shine.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

When I went to my interviews I had my portfolio and they asked about my teaching style. I pulled out my portfolio and flipped to some pictures and sample lessons to show them. I passed it over, the guy didn't look at it at all. Oh well! (got the job, guess he didn't need my portfolio!)

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 24, 2013

You should be the one referring to it for examples of what you have done. At an interview the team won't usually have time to go through it, but they will look at whatever you point out to them.

12. seagrape

seagrape Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I have a digital portfolio through weebly that is unsearchable and password-protected, so I can track the amount of views it receives. I have had several districts look at it, but they usually only browse one or two pages.

The past four out of seven times it's been looked at, I've received a call for an interview that day or the next.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

No wonder my interviews seemed so short and stuffy... They would ask questions, I would answer, and that's about it.... My supervising professor at university said not to bring my portfolio with me... sounds like bad advice to me now....

14. peachykeen483

peachykeen483 New Member

Jul 24, 2013

What do you include in your packet to give to interviewers besides this brochure?

15. bek3

bek3 Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

I included the same items that I mailed in advance.
    -Resume
    -Cover letter (modified-addressed to each individual person, "Thank you in advance for taking the time to meet with me...")
    -Brochure
    -Three letters of recommendation (Most of the interviewers scanned through and asked me specific questions based on common things that the letters stated.)
    -Praxis score report
    -Sealed official transcript -No one opened this during the interview though.

16. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

I was taught in school that you had to work in into your answers...which is what I have done.

17. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Exactly! I used mine only to show pictures of my previous classroom. Other than that, I didn't use it at all and they didn't ask to see it.

I was offered the job. :)

18. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

Hmm yea... that does sound like bad advice.

19. Sinewave

Sinewave Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

I've never shown my portfolio, always have it with me just in case. I got one LTS at the end of last year without showing a portfolio. For the 2 interviews I had during the summer (didn't get either job), I wish I had shown my portfolio in one of my interviews, but I got so caught up in answering the questions and such that I didn't think about it.

I'm thinking of just having my portfolio on my iPad. The big bulky binder distracts me so much :p

20. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 25, 2013

I stressed over my portfolio for an entire week and asked advice from all of my teacher friends about what to include. After all that, they didn't ask to see it and didn't even ask any of those types of questions that I would have opened it to answer!

But I got the job, so I guess I didn't need it. :)