Do they hire subs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, May 28, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

May 28, 2015

I hear that some school districts hire their subs for full-time positions and other school districts don't. What are your experiences with this? I all of a sudden started to feel hopeless about getting a full-time teaching job this upcoming school year...this will be year 6 for me....sigh

3. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

May 28, 2015

Yes it does in my district, actually a Substitute I worked with in Kindergarten last year------I am a Sped Para-----was a long term teacher sub for 6 weeks and she became a first grade teacher this year but in a different school. She was extremely happy to get the job and I know credits her subbing and getting to know teachers and Principals as how it happened!!!!!

Actually even our Paras (two since 2014) who are certified teachers who became stay-at-home moms get teaching positions but they went to other districts...but they did get hired permanently and are still teaching!

Hope this helps :)

4. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

May 28, 2015

In my experience, yes, they definitely hire subs. The only reason I got the job I accepted a little over a month ago was because of all the connections I made subbing in the district (and it is not an easy district to get into).

Admins seem to hire the people they know!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2015

My school hires subs. I've seen it happen many times. The subs who get hired are the ones who go above and beyond, who are willing to sub anywhere in the building, who will come in on short notice, who don't flake out on previously-accepted sub jobs (except in true emergencies), who are personable and friendly, and who can handle our students (a rough bunch) without too much trouble.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 29, 2015

My district hires subs! It's a great way to get your foot in the door!

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 29, 2015

Up until now, I would have said no, but we did hire a sub this year! It was for a mid-year opening (someone chose not to come back after maternity leave), and I think that made a difference. Typically, I would say that subs have a hard time getting hired because admin simply doesn't know them and it would be hard for them to stand out. If admin does know who they are, it tends to be for a negative reason and not for a positive reason. I also wonder how you get letters of rec from subbing since you're not anywhere permanent (unless it's a long term job). In our case, it was classroom management that made the sub stand out. The specials teachers noticed that every time this woman was subbing, even the roughest classes were totally under control when she brought them down to specials. She also subbed for me in sped and my teammate went on and on about how awesome she was- patient with the kids, had no problems following a very complicated schedule, etc. (most subs tend to have a hard time in my room). When we had the opening several teachers told the sub to apply and went to the principal and recommended that she get an interview, and she was hired!

PS- Am I remembering correctly that you have a sped license? If you feel like moving to Denver, my teammate just resigned- we have an opening ;)

8. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 29, 2015

That's how I got started!

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 29, 2015

Didn't your teammate just start this year? Why is she leaving so soon?

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 30, 2015

Yep. She's moving for her husband's job.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 30, 2015

The answer is yes, they will hire, but your resume has to show them how you have managed to learn from the subbing, incorporating new skills along the way. I could sub all year and learn little but a lot of new student names, or, I could become proficient with using technology to engage students, comfortable with the software that is used to take attendance, interact with parents, access online postings, etc. You can do one job a long time and not grow in it, or you can grow by leaps and bounds, something districts have to have evidence of to be impressed. You would need to make sure your resume reflects the growth and proficiencies. Generic won't cut it.