Do teachers normally get along with each other at school?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jennie, Apr 11, 2008.

1. jennie

jennie Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Do they normally fight if they both are same grade level teacher?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2008

Most of the time teachers get along, especially if they are teaching the same grade level. But just like any other job, you are going to have personality conflicts.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Apr 11, 2008

That totally depends on the grade level team. I think of my team as my spouse. Some times we get along, sometimes we don't. The idea is to remain professional and keep the kids in mind. We've definitely had squabbles, and some people have difficult personalities. I'd venture to say there are fewer people more difficult to work with than one of my team members, but we have the mentality that she has a lot we can learn from and we'll try to kill her with kindness until she comes around. I live my life at school with these words in mind: "baby steps". Again, it all depends on the team!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 11, 2008

Teachers normally support each other and get along, even if they are very different. It is a code among professionals -

-I've got your back covered
    - I will be polite and helpful
    - I will not gossip about you
    - I will go to you if there is a problem, rather than an admin. or other teacher
    -I will especially treat you with respect in front of students
    -I will do more of the giving at times, and I know I can count on you to do more of the giving at other times

It is all summed up here: act like a grown up and a professional.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008

I'm blessed. I always got along with the teachers I work with. I loved all of the teachers I worked with last year, though I hated the school. Out of 12 teachers 8 teachers decided not to come back, it wouldn't have been the same.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 11, 2008

I have usually gotten along with everyone I have worked with, but there have been those few odd personality clashes. I am easy going, but I tend to annoy people who are more rigid. :whistle:

One year, there was someone imbalanced on staff. The teacher took out frustrations on me for some reason! I had always gotten along with everyone, and I do try to go out of my way to do special little things for people when I can, so everyone stood up for me when this person started griping about me. Thank goodness! The teacher went through the entire staff, persecuting people in different ways and trying to divide our staff. Eventually everyone caught on, and we just knew the teacher had a big problem.

The teacher was not hired back, thank goodness! It was a weird experience, but, we came out united. And it was a perfect example of what I posted earlier: we watch out for each other and don't tolerate gossippers. We support each other. And our staff is very diverse religiously, politically, and morally. But we support each other completely.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2008

I think teachers usually get along. Of course there are exceptions, and everything depends on the personalities of the team members.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 11, 2008

I think most teachers get along. The problems only come in when one or more of the people in the group start to judge another teacher's professional decisions. I always assume that every teacher is making the best decisions for her class based on her students.

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 11, 2008

Most of us get along...but we have major cultural differences. 1.2 of our staff and admin is Turkish...and the rest of us are American. We invite them out, but they don't go if it involves alcohol. Which is ok, cause I like Turkish tea!

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2008

I think it all depends...I've worked in some great teams, but some not-so-great ones too. In my current team, there are 4 of us. The 2 younger teachers (including myself) stick together and the older two basically don't bother with us. They do everything together and don't include either of us in anything, unless they want us to do something for them. It's frustrating, but with one of them retiring this year, next year could be fun:)

12. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 11, 2008

I am blessed to be on staff that has gotten along VERY well with each other since I have been there. We even socialize together

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2008

I am a first year teacher and was told by my principal earlier this year that elementary schools are like high school all over again. Very catty, immature, lots of backstabbing, etc... She said no matter where I go, I will find this. I was not very encouraged :( I hated high school and can not stand the immaturity at times. I am dealing with it though.
    Of course, I don't know any job where all the coworkers like one another!! But, the large percentage of women probably doesn't help. Sorry ladies, but some of us tend to like to exercise our jaws more than we should ;)

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 11, 2008

I like Turkish coffee.

15. denise

denise Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

I'm also blessed with a great team to work with. There are 3 classes in each grade. The 3 of us plan together, take turns organising events like excursions, class sleepovers and other special events, and help each other out with lesson prep. Its fantastic to be able to share the workload and to have others to bounce ideas off of. Its also great when one of us has had a bad day - we've laughed and cried on each others shoulders many times!

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 11, 2008

I'm also very blessed. I've never had a position where everybody didn't get along at least on a professional level. I've had colleagues I didn't like personally, or who didn't like me, but as far as professional respect went, that never faltered.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008

I like most of the people I work with. We can be catty just like any place else.

I would say that the team I work on, along with about ten other people, are close friends. We go out to dinner, "relax" after school until all hours, call each other up when we're annoyed with spouses, children.

It's definitely more than a working relationship.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2008

My first year teaching about half of us went out as a staff every Friday. We had a lot of fun getting to know each other. It was like family.

19. cali*teacher

cali*teacher Companion

Sep 21, 2010

Someone else had posted on a thread that the elementary school environment amongst personnel is very much likened to the typical office politics situation. I really hope not. I like working with people as a team, but I was hoping that you would at least have some autonomy and strive to do your best in your classroom, and not be dragged into the office politics kind of thing and it's effects.

20. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 21, 2010

I've found a lot of the younger teachers are all very friendly with each other, while the older staff tends to ignore us, or are outright hostile. It's been common for me in meetings to be told that "well, you haven't been teaching for 20 years, so what do you know".

21. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2010

I think it can go either way. I am very lucky that on our team level, we all get along great.

22. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 21, 2010

That's obnoxious, but it's equally annoying when a 20-year veteran is told we are doing something wrong by a first year or second year teacher. I agree with you though, there is no excuse for those words.

I am friendly with teachers of my own age (50), the younger teachers (20s) and those in between. To be honest though teachers in my school are very segregated by department as each department eats lunch together.

23. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 21, 2010

I'm a first year teacher and I have been blessed to have a team that gets along with each other fairly well. Getting along with other teachers was a huge concern. I've heard great stories and some not so great ones. There are 5 teachers on my team. The three of us that have recess duty all eat lunch together in the lounge. I also love the friendliness at my school. I didn't expect such a warm welcome when I started and I can honestly say I've been amazed at the support I've gotten.
    I also have to say I love love love the office staff at my school, they are amazing people!

24. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Sep 21, 2010

The teachers on our middle school team all seem to get along very well. I do feel a little left out at times since I'm the only male and new to the team, but the others are still friendly and respectful of me.

I've also subbed in most of the schools in our district and - honestly - I have not seen a team in any school that does NOT get along. There might be some personality conflicts I'm unaware of, but the teachers usually eat together (if they teach the same grades) or work together to monitor the kids between and outside of classes. So most schools seem to have a strong unity among the teachers.

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

Sounds wonderful - Maybe we should all learn it in in teacher's college.

26. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

We all get along except for the two guys that nobody likes.

Everybody just pretends to be nice to them.

27. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2010

OK, I'll quit being a smart@$$ and be serious.

Your principal is a jerk. She needs to get control of her staff and stop that kind of behavior.

I teach at an elementary school. Most of the teachers are women. Sure, a little cattiness now and then, but everyone is totally supportive of everyone else. We all back each other up in every way possible. It is totally not like high school (I taught high school for a year, and those teachers acted like they were in high school)

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2010

I can't address "normal." But I've never heard of teachers in my school not getting along.

We share resources, give extra help to each other's kids, and work together on the trimester and comprehensive exams.

We're all adults.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2010

Same here.

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 22, 2010

I think people try to be professional. Sometimes you have conflicts of philosophies but you work it out. Most teachers put their students first.

31. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 22, 2010

I have taught at two schools and I was lucky to work with wonderful teachers in both!

At my second school -- and this is my first year -- it is a MUCH smaller school. There's only one class per grade so if I have any direct 3rd grade questions I usually look online, ask a friend from my old school who teachers 3rd, etc.

Everyone at new school has been pretty friendly to me -- the only new teacher this year. :)

Making yourself available and seen helps! Eating in the teacher lunch room, etc. :) All good ideas!

32. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010

I agree about the youngsters, but it's not much of a problem here. My department is split between two buildings, and many teachers eat lunch in their own rooms or with one friend. Often we have kids making up work during lunch, and we really don't see each other much. There's not that much opportunity for conflict!

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2010

We have had a few people who argue with each other often. They are usually people with strong personalities, although we do have some passive-aggressive personalities, too.

I think some people have trouble differentiating between liking someone professionally and liking someone personally. It's my job to work with the people in my building, and I'll do that. Whether I like them personally doesn't matter in the least. There are some people I like professionally, but not personally. And there are some people I like personally, but don't relate to professionally.

And professionals should be able to disagree without being disagreeable.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2010

Well said, Ima Teacher!

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2010

The people I work with fall into categories:
    The ones for whom I have professional respect
    The ones with whom I enjoy having a conversation/spending time
    The ones who fall into both categories
    The ones who fall into neither of the above categories (not many, thankfully).

That said, I am a PROFESSIONAL. I do not 'fight' with people at work. I do not talk about them. I do not engage in gossip. I am totally professional and pleasant in my interactions with those with whom I work.

36. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Sep 22, 2010

Conflicts mainly arise when it comes to sharing or collaborating (which I am experiencing now). The school where I work does not seem to be too clique-y. Everyone's cordial with one another and stays to themselves.

37. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Sep 22, 2010

I think it really all depends of the climate of the school (which I guess in turn is created by the people who work there). Our school is one where people just look for things wrong (union-wise) and it creates tension. I don't enjoy being around people who feel that they are on a higher level then myself and others. I treat everyone with respect and try to be as friendly as I can be, but some don't.

With that being said I work with a lot of fabulous people that not only are amazing teachers, but awesome friends. I feel very lucky to have met most of these people.

38. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2010

I've only been at my school for 3 weeks but I like everyone and am trying to get to know them. No one stands out to me as someone I'm not going to like dealing with - not at all.

39. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010

Usually everyone gets along. There aren't that many competitive, backstabbing, gossipy, two-faced, loud, rude, mentally deranged, just plain crazy teachers out there. Did I leave anything out?

But when you do have one on your team, they can make your life miserable just trying to stay out of the vortex.

40. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

Ditto! And, if there's someone you don't like that's ok, you still have to treat them in a professional manner.

41. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2010

I'm disgusted that a principal would not only feel that way about her staff, but also share that with her first year teachers.

I can tell you that while some staffs have been a better fit than others, of the four elementary schools I've taught at in the past several years, NONE have ever been as catty/immature/backstabbing as your principal seems to think.