Do teachers have delays and early dismissals?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DreamerSeeker, Nov 13, 2019.

1. DreamerSeeker

DreamerSeeker Rookie

Nov 13, 2019

I'm a new substitute teacher working my way to becoming a regular teacher, and I was just wondering if teachers get to have early dismissals just like the students or if teachers are still required to be at school for their full regular hours regardless?
    Also, for wintertime, if your school gets delayed or even canceled, are teachers still required to come in and work their regular hours?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2019

In the places I have worked, early dismissal for students meant faculty meetings for teachers. In my state, schools are usually only cancelled for hurricanes and teachers were not required to come in.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 13, 2019

As a new sub, I suggest that you talk to whoever calls the subs, and make sure that you know their policy. Traditionally, here, if there is a delayed opening, the subs and other teachers also have a delay, although maybe not as long as the student delays. If early dismissals are planned, such as before a break, subs go when the rest of the teachers go, unless they let you go earlier. Subs, here, don't go to staff meetings, and are cleared to leave once the students are gone. This is liable to be different from one district to another, so ask at every district you sub in to make sure you get the right information.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 13, 2019

Here is how it works for us:
    • Scheduled Early Dismissal is for teachers to have meetings, so kids go home and we stay.
    • Early Dismissal for Weather/Emergency—everybody goes home.

• Late Start due to weather—we all arrive late.

• No School for kids sometimes means not for us either, but we do sometimes have work days. Usually that’s only for times when main roads are clear, but we have secondary roads unsafe for busses. We can only do a certain number of those days.
    • DH’s school also has NTI days. Everyone works from home. He has to be “on the clock” from home during regular school hours. Kids work online.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 13, 2019

In my district if there is an early dismissal for students, it's because teachers have PD, so yes, we have to stay.

Teachers don't have to report on snow days. We've never had a delayed start policy until this year (previously the only options were cancel or stay open). We've had one delay so far and I along with many others came in 90 minutes after our regular contract time. The superintendent sent an email saying the policy was that staff are to arrive as close as possible to regular time on those days, allowing "professional courtesy for a small amount of tardiness due to safety." I find that extremely disrespectful- so you've said the roads aren't safe for students, but teachers are expected to drive (much longer distances) on them for NO reason other than the fact that you're afraid they'll get 90 "free" minutes? I wish our union would address this. It's also the policy in nearby districts. I don't get it at all.

Tired Teacher, talknteach and bella84 like this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 14, 2019

Around here, subs don't stay for PD or staff meetings. At the beginning of the year there is usually half a day that runs you through any changes, but during the school year, when kids leave the subs are right behind them, for the most part. I always found it would take me about 20 minutes to write my notes and comments.

I should probably note the two types of subs and how they are different. If all you have is a sub certificate, sometimes with just 60 college credits, it is unlikely you will become a long term sub until you get some experience. If you are a fully licensed teacher with standard certificates, you will get the same fee per day (more or less), but when looking for long term subs, this is where schools will look first, because they know the drill, and they can do grade cards and write lesson plans. Additionally, here in NJ, there is no restrictions on this teacher in terms of how many days one can legally sub in the same classroom in consecutive days. Those subs doing a long term gig would be expected to follow the time schedule that the classroom teachers follow, usually including staff meetings, etc. Delays and early dismissal pretty much are after the kids are gone, so are the teachers, especially the ones with long drives, if it is snow or ice coming down. If in doubt, check with all of the districts that you sub at so you will have the correct information.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 14, 2019

That is something to ask when you are hired. Is there a reason you need to know ahead of time?

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 14, 2019

I don't think delayed start has ever come up.

If it's a snow day/bad weather day, no one comes in.

We have regular short days for the kids, but that is so teachers can get in their full planning/meeting/PLC time.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2019

Early release is for some sort of teacher in-service.
    Weather related situations we followed the students but often still had to make up the time.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 14, 2019

If your district has snow days built into its schedule then you won't have to make them up.Delayed starts still count as a full day in our districts. Usually 2 hour delays sometimes 3 in certain areas.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Nov 14, 2019

Because I worked at three different districts, I learned to make sure that someone from each district would call me in case of a delay or cancellation. After a while, you are "remembered" and someone always calls. Many districts now go to a text blaster kind of thing that you add your name to when hired, which automatically alerts your cell phone about cancellations, delays. It is a god send not to show up to a totally locked building after working to plow out your own drive!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Michelle

Michelle Rookie

Nov 14, 2019

Substitute teachers work the same hours that students are in school. If it’s an early release day, they leave when students leave. Teachers have meetings or trainings and work till their regular time.
    For delay openings - teachers / subs and students all arrive at the same time.

14. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 16, 2019

Sic your union on them! :) We did 2 yrs ago and no longer deal w/ that! If it is unsafe for kids, it is for teachers too!

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2019

OP is probably just curious and wants to know what they can anticipate.